www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:51 am 
Sting Ray

Hi All,

Was lurking on this forum for a couple of weeks as I've been contemplating buying a 2004 Sundowner 205 (5.0L MPI Mercrusier) and was interested in finding out what other owners thought about their Sundowner's. Other boats I was looking at was included a 2005 Chaparral 215 SSI, an older Regal 2150 LSC and a Sea Ray 215 Weekender.

Anyway, after a sea trial with the owner we loved it, and we took the plunge and bought it :D !

The only problem is that I've just sold my car (4x4) and I've been told delivery of my new car is still 3 weeks away. The owner kindly delivered the boat to my home and it's sitting in the driveway but I don't have anything to tow it with for 3 weeks :? . So by the time I hit the water again it's going to be the most polished boat you've ever seen.

Bottom line is, I wanted to say thanks to all. This forum was very useful in helping me make my decision. So I thought I'd actually join up in the hope that I may be able to contribute something back...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:52 am 
Nauti Luv

Welcome aboard and Congrats.

Now, we have a simple rule here. You are considered a liar until we see some pics :D

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:45 pm 
Shark

well done on what is a most astute purchase. the best sundowners were made in 2004.
you may refer to it also as a sundowner 215, as they changed the name in later years, although its the same size. bigger must be better !!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:58 pm 
email admin your custom rank

2005 wasn't a bad year either!! It is a really nice boat if you have young ones as I do. I hope you get as much enjoyment out of your first year with the boat as I did this year. I am already excited about next spring!!

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:40 am 
Sting Ray

Thanks for the welcome...

Gotta say, you guys have got some very nice looking boats :) . Good to see another Aussie on the forum.

Managed to work out how to put a pic in my signature at least for now. I'll try and post some more pics once I've taken some good ones (hopefully some with the boat "wet"...).

It's still another two weeks untill my car arrives (actually 15 days) and it's getting very warm here in Sydney so I'm really itching to take her out. (I should probably check whether you need to "run-in" modern car engines or can whether I can just hook her up and tow her away the day the car arrives).

We do have kids, but they're a little older (late teens early twenties). They're normally out and about with their own freinds rather than hanging around with parents. Needless to say, all of a sudden, they've become a little more interested in spending some "quality time" together...

Here's a question - The sterndrive leg is fitted with a SE-300 hydrofoil. Years ago I had a 17' runabout with a 115 HP outboard on it and it would definately have benifitted from something like this. But does it make much of a difference on a boat this size? Or is it likely to just be a bit of a waste of time?

All the best

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:53 pm 
Shark

Raft61 wrote:
Thanks for the welcome...

Here's a question - The sterndrive leg is fitted with a SE-300 hydrofoil. Years ago I had a 17' runabout with a 115 HP outboard on it and it would definately have benifitted from something like this. But does it make much of a difference on a boat this size? Or is it likely to just be a bit of a waste of time?

All the best

i'd be curious to find out too. With just the two of you on board it probably isnt a big deal, but the sundowner is quite stern heavy and I find when loaded up (ie 4 adults, 7 kids plusfood and gear) it can take a "while" to get on the plane unless i shift the crew forward for a bit!
Maybe the foil will improve holeshot and lower planing speed ??????

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:56 pm 

Nice boat.

My previous boat was an '04 225.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:44 am 

I can say that we have had 5 adults and 2 kids on board with all of the food and gear, and it takes a while to get on plane especially when you are towing a tube. I have wondered about getting the hydrofoil for mine too. Load her up and let us know how she does getting on plane. I have trim tabs on mine, did you get those with yours? Some will say they are not necessary on a boat this small, but I feel like I have benifitted from them for sure.

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:51 pm 

Raft, welcome to the forum. There are quite a number of folks from the southern hemisphere here. Please keep in mind that us northerners boat vicariously thru you blokes during our cold winter so keep posting 8)

-11c here and frosty this morning, no snow yet.

Greg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:35 pm 

aussie_sundowner wrote:
well done on what is a most astute purchase. the best sundowners were made in 2004.

Mine was built in very late 2003, but it's a 2004 model; does that count, or am I unlucky?

Graham

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:08 pm 
Sting Ray

Thanks again all,

I'll let you know how the Hydrofoil goes as soon as I get a car :( . Starting to get real frustrated...

I did also notice the Sundowner is a bit stern heavy on the sea trail, but it did get onto the plane quickly with only two of us onboard. I was planning to try a run with it both bolted on and off the leg to see what difference it makes especially if there's more than two onboard. Let you know how it goes.

Quote:
I have trim tabs on mine, did you get those with yours? Some will say they are not necessary on a boat this small, but I feel like I have benifitted from them for sure.

I was actually wondering about whether trim-tabs would be worthwhile... On the (one and only) run I've done with the boat, there was a slight list to port on the plane. I assume its due to the prop torque. Triming out a little and giving the helm a bit of a flick to starboard seemed to straighhten it up, but I was thinking that trim tabs would probably help with this (or a DP leg).

Quote:
Mine was built in very late 2003, but it's a 2004 model; does that count, or am I unlucky?

I think it counts... The previous owner (gotta say they were very lovely people) has given me all the original paperwork for the boat, and I've just noticed that the build is Nov 2004, delivered in Dec 2004 but the model is shown as 2005...

Ric

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:31 pm 

Quote:
the build is Nov 2004, delivered in Dec 2004 but the model is shown as 2005...

Ah hah! You have the same model year as I do. Dont worry though, there is nothing wrong with a 2005. :wink: The trim tabs are a great benifit to me for sure. You can couter ballance instead of moving folks around on your boat, just a nice convenience.

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:05 pm 
Shark

any chance of trim tabs pics on your boat ??

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:09 pm 
Starfish

Hi Raft,
Where will you be launching?
We have a 2005 205, for now anyway, we are selling ours after six years, as we are moving to a flybridge cruiser
You will love the sundowner, the best alround boat around.
We put a four blade prop on, not long after we got it, made a big difference with going on to plane, slow speed planing and accelaration, we have the 300hp mercruiser in ours.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:51 pm 
Sting Ray

Hi ScottA,

We live in the NorthWest/Hills area of Sydney so we'll mostly be launching from either Moonie Moonie or Brooklyn for trips on the Hawkesbury, or Meadowbank for trips on the Harbour. I have friends who live on the Peninsula so Bayview's an option as well. Gotta say the ramps are a lot busier than I remember them when I last had a boat.

From your pix seems like you also cruise both the Hawkesbury and the Harbour (very nice lookin boat). I'll certainly keep an eye out for you. Good luck with your move to a Flybridge cruiser (nice) - maybe one day I'll get to move up to one too - but for now the 205 will do me fine.

Finally got frustrated waiting for my tow vehicle to arrive so borrowed a mates car (Holden Rodeo - probably not quite legal for towing my rig) and took the boat out last weekend. Loved it!!

Put it in at Berowra Waters and cruised around to Church Point (about a 1h30min cruise). Boat performed flawlessly in very windy/choppy conditions. Swell was pretty big coming around West Head and had to be careful not to launch it off the crests. I have a 260hp 5.0MPI with a 17" 3 blade SS Mirage prop and with only two of us onboard it's probably a little under propped (about 5,100 WOT and 43mph). Jumped out of the hole very quick and was on the plane in about 3 sec (I suspect that the hydrofoil fitted to the leg may be helping with that - when I get a chance I'll experiment with it on and off the leg). Drops off the plane just under 3,000rpm. Setup's probably just about right for towing a wakeboarder.

Would like to hear whether other 205's perform about the same.

Spent the afternoon rafted-up to a mates yatch having a drink and some nibbles (only 1 beer for me of course), then cruised the hour and a half back again.

Was a bit worried about getting it on and off the trailer with only me and my lady, especially as the car I borrowed had quite a low towbar (stern of the boat was sitting a bit higher than the bow). It drove off and on the skids very easily but had to sink the trailer a long way.

Anyway ended up being a busy day all in all, and I was just enjoying myself muckin around with stuff, so didn't get a chance to take any pics.

My new car arrived today (Toyota Prado) - but with Christmas approaching, all the social events and pretty poor weather, looks like I probably won't get a chance to take her out until after Christmas (might consider doing battle with the Sydney to Hobart spectator fleet). I'm getting real frustrated...

Safe Boating.

Ric