www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:21 pm 
email admin your custom rank

LouC wrote:
I taught my son to drive the boat over the past 3 summers, the things I taught him to focus most on were:

Big boat wake and how you handle them
Depth finder ( a good one not a cheapie) also taught him how to spot shallow areas
temp gauge...how hot is too hot....
oil pressure gauge...how low is too low...

Taught him how to put the anchor down and call for help on the VHF radio (we have a Coast Guard Station at Eaton's Neck Long Island right near by).

For you guys, why not sign up at a swim center and really learn to swim, you will be much more confident and that will reduce the fear factor. You will enjoy the boat much more.
I keep inflatable life jackets on the boat, they are much more comfortable to wear, we always wear them if we are leaving the local harbor as Long Island Sound can be rough for small boats.

As far as not getting stranded, the depth finder is your friend, but also your boat is about as old as mine. I maintain it to a very high standard, anything questionable gets replaced, I do have tow insurance but have not had to use it yet (10 years boating).

As another newbie here, the Admiral, I and one of my 4 daughters took the Coast Guard boating safety class this past weekend. 8 hours, and $25 to take, but it was worth it. I now know what the different bouy's and their colors mean, safety measures, signaling for help and responding to others for help. Navigation techniques for busy waterways, who has right of way etc. I would suggest those that are a bit nervous, to take the class.