www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:24 pm 
Guppy

Also posted this on BoatUS Forum. One of the many problems I have had with this boat.

I have a 2002 Four Winns 205 Sundowner. Bought the boat new in 2003. Have had numerous problems with this model. To many to list here!!! The most recent issue is with the deck drains (scuppers) in the stern of the boat behind the battery (starboard side) and trim pump (port side).

These deck drains are supposed to allow any water that manages to get into the boat drain out thru some below the waterline hull fittings. Yeah right!!! These scuppers, or deck drains if you will, allow water to seep back into the boat when enough weight (people) is on the stern of the boat. This boat has the extended swim platform so having 3 or 4 adults sitting back there is not uncommon. In the scuppers are check valves (floating ball the size of ping pong ball) that are supposed to seal off the flow of water back into the boat (backflow) from the drains located near the outdrive below the waterline. The deck drains are at or near waterline level.

Has anyone else out there been having this problem? If so has anyone come up with a good way to seal off these drains? I really don't think they are needed on a boat of this type and size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:43 am 
email admin your custom rank

I had the same drains on my 225 boat; no ESP and never a great deal of people on the stern, so I didn't have a problem . I did have to clean mine out quite often and actually enlarged the holes in the covers to allow maximum water flow ( out, not in thankfully!). First thing I'd check is whether the balls still float; if they don't, they'll never seal off the route into the boat. Also, that there is not a great deal of debris in the deck drain that is getting stuck between the cover and the ball.

If the 205 is anything like the 225, the hose between the cover and the hull outlet is under the floor in an inaccessible section of the hull, might be possible to fit a "proper" check valve in there, but it would probably mean removing both the cover and the through hull to do it.

Graham

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:33 pm 

Had the same problem on my 225. Pulled the drain covers and found debris obstructing the "ping pong ball". Cleaned them out and problem solved.

Rod

Past:
1999 225 Sundowner
5.7 GSi SX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:45 am 
Guppy

Thanks for the replys. Decided to check the condition of the floating ping pong balls. Not an easy task on this 2002 205. Had to remove the engine cover, rear seat back, rear bulk head, battery and battery tray, and hydraulic trim tab pump to gain access to the deck drains. Glad I am not a boat mechanic!!! Removed the drain cover and ping pong ball on starboard side. Visual inspection revealed the cover of the drain is warped so that the ball does not seal 100% against the lip it contacts when it floats. To make matters worse you cannot completely remove the deck drain housing from the deck unless you remove an approx 12" x 14" piece of plywood screwed down on the top of the deck behind the drain. Removing this plywood cover would allow you access to the hose that connects the floor drain to the hull fitting I think? What a design and engineering marvel!!! This plywood cover is also cracked which is allowing the water seepage from the faulty deck drain to get into the stern corners of the hull which are supposed the be sealed compartments I think. There is no way to get the water out since it does not have a way to get to the bilge area and thus the bilge pump. I shook the boat on the trailer and could hear all this water sloshing around in the sponsons. (sponsons is the term the Four Winns dealer Service Manager used). So we decided to seal these deck drains up completely. Both ends. Done. Now for the good part. The dealer recommended that we install hull drains in both sponsons so we could remove the water that is trapped in them. They drilled holes in the fiberglass in both sides of the sponsons in the lowest corners. Not much water came initially but there was still a lot of water trapped in there. They then had to drill another hole thru some wood that is behind the fiberglass hull. A lot of water came out!!! Unbelievable!!! The wood inside there is saturated and flaking away. I suspect it is rotting due to being wet all the time. My next move is to contact Four Winns factory warranty dept and have a rather frank discussion about this. I will let you know the outcome. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:26 am 
ShanMan

Well, on the positive side you found the problem and removed the water. :? Let usknow what FW says.

http://vista278.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:28 am 

RABBAR wrote:
The dealer recommended that we install hull drains in both sponsons so we could remove the water that is trapped in them. They drilled holes in the fiberglass in both sides of the sponsons in the lowest corners. Not much water came initially but there was still a lot of water trapped in there. They then had to drill another hole thru some wood that is behind the fiberglass hull. A lot of water came out!!! :evil:

RABBAR, can you explain what you mean by hull drains (where exactly they are) and where the holes were drilled. Do the sponsons drain into the bilge now or overboard? Any pictures?

The reason I ask is I suspect I have a "little" water in my port side sponson and am at a loss as to how to remove it.

Rod

Past:
1999 225 Sundowner
5.7 GSi SX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:06 pm 
Guppy

Hello Guinnydog - The new hull drains are located at the lowest point possible on the hull exterior corners of the sponsons. (below and aft of the original deck drain outlets which are also below the waterline) These new plugs are also below the waterline. The only way now to tell if there is water still getting into the sponsons is by pulling the boat out of the water and removing the drain plugs. There was no easy way to drill holes internally to allow this water accumulation to get to the bilge and be pumped out by bilge pump. You would have to pull the engine to do that. I will be pulling the boat out tommorrow and will get a picture to post.

My boat is kept in the water all summer long at a local lake. With the original deck drains being sealed at both ends,,,, the only water that can get in there now would be from rain I suppose. Last time out I noticed my carpet was wet in each rear corner of the boat near the engine cover.

I'll get back to this post soon. This whole ordeal really sucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:04 am 
Shark

my 2004 205 has drain holes in the sponsons at the place you describe. FW. I have a leak somewhere that I am yet to investigate properly, and I originally thought it was through the ESP stauncheon screws that screw into that area. I had water stains from behind the stainless plate. In the end it was water inside the ss stauncheon tube , and not weeping out through the hull.

i'm sure my scuppers are just little flaps that stay closed from water pressure against it, rather than some fancy valve system..

its winter, so my memory of all things Sundowner is fading, but all will be wll soon with whale watching season coming

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:42 am 
Guppy

Update on the deck drains. Pulled the boat out yesterday to clean the hull and inspect everything. Removed drain plugs on both sponsons. Very little water seeped out. Port side was dry. Starboard side dribbled for a while. As I suspect the only water that can now get into these areas of the hull will be from rain since the deck drains are sealed up tight at both ends.

I have posted these pictures at: (hope this works?)

[http://www.flickr.com/photos/rabbar/]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:01 pm 
Tadpole

Hi,
I am having a similar problem on my 98 245 Sundowner. If you take the drain cover off, can the drain assembly be lifter a bit to make room for a small hose to be snaked towards the rear of the sponson in order to vacuum out the water without taking off the access panels? I assume the the deck drain assemblies are in the same compartment as the sponsons with no separators that would prevent a hose going back there?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:05 pm 
Guppy

Hey tradition... I own a 99 245 sundowner and my starboard drain deteriorated and broke, the hose fell to just above the waterline and I was pretty lucky not to sink. I'm planning the repair this weekend, did you get yours done? We're you able to remove the access plywood everyone mentioned. I found the plywood, but didn't see any screws, looks like its fiberglass end over, I'm thinking about cutting a hole in the plywood then using a deckplate.

I'm interested in what you encountered.