www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:52 am 
Seahorse

...has been sitting in his driveway and unused for all of the six years I've been at my current home.

Bill takes off the cover once or twice in the summer, but as far as I know he has never put it in the water. From a conversation a couple years ago, it wasn't used much before I got here either. I looked at the boat after we last talked, as I was maybe interested in moving up from my 200 Horizon. He pretty much told me if someone made a reasonable offer, he'd be glad to be rid of it. A cursory inspection showed it wasn't falling apart, although some of the interior pads might need attention. The cover was off when I came home yesterday, so I'm going to head over an have a conversation with him about it again.

Even though its hardly been used, I know that sitting around can do plenty of damage. His canvas was long ago ripped, so he's had a plastic tarp over the boat for some time. I assume it was winterized since his last use, but who knows? Fresh water lines? No idea if they were maintained. The trailer hasn't rusted out, so that's nice - but I'm sure the brakes and bearings would need to be looked at. As a guy who's boat is always stored indoors, its hard for me to imagine treating it this way, but I know lots of boats get less care than they should.

So, would you consider buying a boat with this kind of history? How would you approach it? I'd want to have a mechanic go through it and check on many items before committing to buy something like this. Would you offer a very low price where you took on all the risk, or maybe offer to split the inspection cost if we agree to purchase at $X,XXX? Other approaches that would seem reasonable?

I'm open to ideas - including the idea that I should stay the hell away from a boat with this history. My current 200H was a credit union repo that looked awful in their parking lot on Thanksgiving weekend, but once I had it checked out and did my own full detail, its one of the nicest boats you'll ever see. Hoping I might find another diamond in the rough here and not a lump of coal.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:36 am 
email admin your custom rank

If you like projects and the price is right, sure.

It's worth about 16-18k. From what you describe I'd set aside 10k to fix it back to showroom condition... so that 6-8k would be the highest I'd pay for something like that. After a survey of course. The only thing you need to worry about is the engine and outdrive. If those are good, the rest you can slowly stab at.

And of course, only attempt this if you're doing most of the repair yourself. The only thing you should outsource is the Vinyl repair/replacement. If your plan is to hand this to a mechanic and get it back minty... forget this boat exists and move on.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:02 pm 
268 Vista

1999 245 has the VDO gauge cluster I think. Consider that in your decision as well....

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:47 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Besides the mechanical condition, what engine/drive does it have? My boat is the lowest power engine (5.7 Gi) and SX drive combo available in the 245. It is perfectly usable but I wish it at least had the DP drive to get up on plane better. The GXi with the DP would be even better.

Mine has the wood floor with glued on carpet. I think a fiberglass liner was an option in those years. I'd check that very carefully given the outdoors storage.

Previous:97 245 Sundowner 5.7GI/SX

Tow vehicle: 1986 GMC 2500 Camper Special 454/TH400

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:02 pm 
Seahorse

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
1999 245 has the VDO gauge cluster I think. Consider that in your decision as well....

It does have the vdo like on my 97 H200. I'm not up on all the problems, but mine works fine.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:06 pm 
Seahorse

97_245_sd wrote:
Besides the mechanical condition, what engine/drive does it have? My boat is the lowest power engine (5.7 Gi) and SX drive combo available in the 245. It is perfectly usable but I wish it at least had the DP drive to get up on plane better. The GXi with the DP would be even better.

Mine has the wood floor with glued on carpet. I think a fiberglass liner was an option in those years. I'd check that very carefully given the outdoors storage.

Yeah, it's an SX drive with one of the pedestrian motors. If memory serves me it's also a Gi. That was one of my concerns.