www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:03 pm 
wkearney99

Try using a CordPro spool to store your shore power cords. Works a lot better than the mildew-collector bag from Marinco...

I have my 2 on-board shore power cords in them. I also have a shore water hose wound up in one. All three get stowed below in the main cabin. This frees up room above decks for PFDs, fenders and other more important stuff.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:14 pm 
AGE < LOA

That's a great idea, thanks! I expect the boat to arrive Wed afternoon. That photo was taken at the dealership and they apologized for the cords being thrown in like that. The marina where I'll be staying has twin 30A outlets and it looks like everybody wraps up the excess cord on the hanger on the dockpower post. It's pretty nice it has hangers on both sides so your h20 hose can be wrapped up on the other side. Also, as it looks, I'll be slipmates with that other 338 I looked at and there's a new all black 318 nearby too!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:45 pm 
wkearney99

I keep a set of lines, the shore power and hose at the slip. It greatly simplified departure and returning. No gathering of lines and cords, or untangling them upon arriving back home. For travel I keep a whole other set in the boat.

Just make sure to keep your shore power cords OUT of the water. They're not rated for long-term immersion in water. And eventually the stray current will cause yours and other zincs to corrode way too fast.

And in case you haven't thought about it, be sure to turn off the shore water when you leave the boat. I put a second valve in-line at the boat for this purpose. More than a few boats sink because of plumbing problems onboard and the shore water running longer than the bilge pumps...

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:03 pm 
AGE < LOA

jnizi - finally had an opportunity to peruse the 338 manual today. I can't help but wonder if that is a photo of your boat on the cover and in many of the pictures. Full flexi, blue ccb, etc.. I bet it is!

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:40 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Yes, the 2007 brochure and print work was done with our boat. Since it was a mid year release, its not in the main 2007 full line Vista brochure (at least not the one we have).

Previously:
2007 Vista 258 " Just Right"
2005 Horizon 230

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:55 pm 
All Night Long

wkearney99 wrote:
I keep a set of lines, the shore power and hose at the slip. It greatly simplified departure and returning. No gathering of lines and cords, or untangling them upon arriving back home. For travel I keep a whole other set in the boat.

Just make sure to keep your shore power cords OUT of the water. They're not rated for long-term immersion in water. And eventually the stray current will cause yours and other zincs to corrode way too fast.

And in case you haven't thought about it, be sure to turn off the shore water when you leave the boat. I put a second valve in-line at the boat for this purpose. More than a few boats sink because of plumbing problems onboard and the shore water running longer than the bilge pumps...

+1 for keeping spare sets of hoses, lines, bumpers, shore power at your slip if you can.

We keep everything attached to the dock - ropes, bumpers are permanently affixed, shore power is run permanently, hose is always on the dock.

makes coming and going SUPER easy.

BTW, if anyone wants/needs a 30 amp shore power cord -- brand new. 50 footer. PM me. I have one extra that I don't need.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:39 am 
wkearney99

cougarcruiser wrote:
BTW, if anyone wants/needs a 30 amp shore power cord -- brand new. 50 footer. PM me. I have one extra that I don't need.

Are you sure you don't need it? I actually carry two on board. Most of the time I just run a single 30A line and use a splitter. I don't run everything on the boat and don't usually feel like running two shore power lines. Or using a single 50A and a splitter. Were I spending time on the boat running both the AC and the appliances, sure, but that's not typical. I keep the second cord on board for that purpose. But I've also discovered it's very handy for dealing with a shore power socket that's farther away. I've had it happen twice where I've docked in a transient slip only to discover the pedestal is either dead or the socket is too loose to maintain a decent connection. The cords can be strung together. This helped me get power for AC on a VERY warm night when I had to make an unexpected layover and the only slip open was the fuel dock. The second cord let me get to an outlet across the other side of the T dock. A single cord was about 3' too short.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:47 am 
All Night Long

I carry 2 on board. And a splitter. At my moorage, I use a single one and the splitter.

The boat came with 2 50 footers that I keep on board. I purchased 2 more 50's because I thought they came with 35s. Turns out I only needed one of the 2 that I bought.

So basically - right now I have 4 cords. One of which I've never taken out of the packaging and sits on my garage shelf.

Not a big deal to have another extra - I know.

And I agree that having 2 on board 'just in case' is always a good idea.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:05 pm 
AGE < LOA

Another pleasant surprise for the 338; the galley sink drains overboard! I have a feeling this is going to be a much smaller thread than the 348/358 guys have going :D

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:25 pm 
Sierra

mkivbren wrote:
Another pleasant surprise for the 338; the galley sink drains overboard! I have a feeling this is going to be a much smaller thread than the 348/358 guys have going :D

You could certainly beef up the thread by starting a conversation about re-routing the galley sink drain into the shower sump box! You could also discuss how to make the transom locker bow out and leak :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:37 pm 
AGE < LOA

haha!! I have to check out your guys' transom locker in detail at some point. I'd like to see how it varies in design. That's a real bummer, hope the 338 doesn't do that.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:54 pm 
Sierra

mkivbren wrote:
haha!! I have to check out your guys' transom locker in detail at some point. I'd like to see how it varies in design. That's a real bummer, hope the 338 doesn't do that.

It's something they carried over from the 348 to the 358 before they learned from their mistake and put a well-designed transom locker door on the V338 so you're in the clear. I don't know if they fixed it for the 358 in '09 (do we really have no '09 V358 owners here?) It is the one element of the V358 that I find flimsy and substandard to the rest of the fit and finish so it obviously wasn't a deal breaker but it is annoying and something that really should have been addressed.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:41 am 
AGE < LOA

Ok, I have two (2) stereo remotes and the both operate the cabin stereo. I guess I might have to reprogram the one to work the topside stereo? (I don't have the manual on me).

Also, any 338 guys getting a vibration out of there topside sub? It sounds blown but after a quick look, the threaded post from the rail underneath the lounger is protruding against the starboard material that the sub is mounted on. I guess I'll just trim the starboard away but I'd like to secure it a little better.

I'm lucky I'll get to cross reference this stuff with the other 338 here. Hopefully I'll meet the owner in person this weekend.

Have a safe weekend on the water fellas!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:54 pm 
AGE < LOA

Hey guys, quick question... and it would probably be the same on all the 3xx boats. Can I fill one side of the boat up with fuel and configure the valves so both tanks will recieve the fuel equally? I don't have my manual and I can't remember what it says. I have my fuel transfer tank down here and I want to top her off while she's out of the water. problem is that they have me up close to another boat on the port side so my hose won't reach.. I can pull right up to the starboard side though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:59 pm 
Sierra

mkivbren wrote:
Hey guys, quick question... and it would probably be the same on all the 3xx boats. Can I fill one side of the boat up with fuel and configure the valves so both tanks will recieve the fuel equally?

Nope :(
You'd think so looking at the fuel manifold but nope.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next