www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:09 pm 
wkearney99

Sierra wrote:
mkivbren wrote:
Hey guys, quick question... and it would probably be the same on all the 3xx boats. Can I fill one side of the boat up with fuel and configure the valves so both tanks will recieve the fuel equally?

Boats with larger capacity and multiple tanks often have motorized fuel transfer systems to maintain balance. But this is usually due to uneven fuel draw from the tanks (like multi-KW gensets driving water makers and AC for a dozen staterooms). That and it would take very large hose and pump to accomplish a live transfer during fueling. I'm not sure even the larger recreational boats do live transfers. They have 'staff' to handle the refueling (at several thousand gallons) so swapping the hose around isn't a big deal. For most recreational boats it's not cost effective or practical option.

Just make sure you always use the correct filler hole. Don't put fuel down a rod holder or into the waste/water tanks. Yes, it happens.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:00 am 
AGE < LOA

Thanks guys. I dropped about 50 gallons in last night and it was barely a drop in the bucket... first time I've missed the 248 :)
FYI, I'm here at a gov't fuel farm and they just got word that oil is going to jump to eighty something a gallon very soon. It's going to be tight but I'm going to get to that port side tank. Yeah, that was kinda weird having the two waste and fuel fillers with the same caps next to each other. I bet people screw that up a lot... man that's gotta suck!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:06 am 
AGE < LOA

Hey Jnizi, I was wondering what RPM you are hitting at WOT? Since we have the same power package (Merc 6.2s) I'm not really sure where I'm at for break-in purposes. I have to double check but I'm think I'm supposed to stay below 3/4 throttle for break in. I'm starting to get on it but didn't want to push it too far. I'm just under ten hours. Upper 30s is moving, man I can't wait to hit 50!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:16 am 
email admin your custom rank

If memory serves, we are about 4900 - 5000 at WOT. Our best speed was 46.3 mph via the C80 GPS. Full of gas, water, gear and a little bottom growth we are a consistent 43mph.

We rarely run at WOT but its fun every week or two. I thought break in was about 20 hours but I know this varies. On our last boat, the dealer said he knows everyone wants to see what the boat will do but keep those indulgences short.

My kids bought a sling for us to try tubing behind the 338. I'll let you know how that goes.

Hope you are enjoying your 338.

Previously:
2007 Vista 258 " Just Right"
2005 Horizon 230

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:58 am 
AGE < LOA

Thanks, I should stay under 4K, good to know. I've certainly enjoyed living on it but I've been working so much that.. well you see my hours. But I have a week or two I'm taking off and I'm debating running it up the bay which is about an 8 hour trip. Just not sure I want to do it under break in conditions. I like to heat cycle motors when I'm breaking them in. By that I mean get them up to temp on a relatively short run and let them cool all the way back down.
Loving all of the compliments I get on it as well. I fixed my water leak and my UW lights myself so I'm going to see if FW wants to help me out with a nice teak and holly floor. I noticed all my speaker rubber cones are totally eaten up on the arch. Probably from sitting down in FL for a year but I also noticed they are pretty bad in the nearby 318. I also noticed a crack in the gel just starboard side of the starboard hatch hinge. The other 338 has the same crack as well..
Have you replaced your zincs yet? I was feeling mine this weekend and they still seem to be pretty good, at least by touch.

I also love how accurate the tank sensors are in this boat vs. the 248. They've been totally consistant.

Last edited by mkivbren on Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:51 pm 
AGE < LOA

So how about them 338s!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:13 pm 
AGE < LOA

What an awesome summer, and one hell of a bachelor pad :mrgreen: I can't believe it's time to shrinkwrap her up for the winter. The boat handles the bay so well and has plenty of nuts with the 6.2s. I'm really impressed and really happy with it.

I never got around to posting pics of the additional optima, so here it is
The one that I added is aft, running parallel to the hull. There is a plate of starboard under the batteries and there was enough room left to keep it on the starboard so I didn't have to sweat drilling into the hull.
But as you can see, there's ample room for 3 or 4 more in the port pod behind the batteries.

And since I can't store the 338 inside like I could the 248 I just ordered one of these, in keeping with the DIY mindset!

Projects I will do in the spring will be the arch TV and the T+H hardwood flooring in the galley.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:15 pm 
email admin your custom rank

You should call these guys
http://www.transhield-usa.com

I just bought three covers off of them (two for me and one for my buddy). I was impressed by their product and like the fact that I can re-use the cover for several years. All three covers cost me less than having just my bowrider professionally wrapped.

Where did you get that gun? $?

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:46 pm 
AGE < LOA

I thought about a fisher cover but since I like to stay younger than my boats length, I'll be looking to purchase a 4xx model in the next five years. That and now I'll save money wrapping all kinds of other stuff like my enclosed car trailer which is stored outside and the H220. I'll also do some side jobs if I have spare time - after I get some experience. The gun will easily pay for itself many times over rather quickly.

I bought it on ebay it was about 600 shipped. I'm hoping with my new 12' folding FG ladder that I wont need any extensions with the radar arch down. They want ~400 for extensions.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:08 pm 
Starfish

Hey Guys, We finally made the leap and I hope I figured out how to post pics. Pretending there is no recession!!
Here's our new 338V, this will be the longest winter ever!!

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2009-11/1349925/2116260

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:13 pm 
Starfish

Okay, trying photo thing again...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:28 pm 
AGE < LOA

Nice and congrats!!! Can't imagine buying it and then having to wait for spring :shock: I had a hell of a time waiting a month to get mine up from FL in the spring! I'll take that one off of my list of remaining 08s. Which power package was that one? I don't have my list in front of me.. Intersting approach to the bottom paint, did you request it that way? Your hinges haven't lifted at all so that's good. I started taking my table off and most everything out of the transom hatch to reduce weight to see if that would eliminate the hinge bending. So far so good.

One thing they definitely missed (and I think the 358 lacks this) is having a gas strut or something to hold the windlass hatch open. I was going for an extra wrap around the cleat during the aquapalooza storm this summer and the way it slammed shut would have taken my toe off! I noticed SR got this done on their boats.

So what options does it have??

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:50 am 
Starfish

Thanks mkivbren - I wasn't planning on buying until the January boat show time but this deal was too good. Has the twin Volvo 5.7L GI/DP 300hp's engines, 5 Kw Kohler Generator, Deck Sun pads, Navigation PKG, Wood Table, 6 disc cd changeer w/ transom Remote Stereo, bottom paint, & Underwater transom lights. Has 3 hrs on the meters. The only option I'm thinking of adding is the swim platform rail?? It was already bottom painted, I didn't request it that way, jury is still out for me whether I like the way it was done. What is the problem with hinges? I've do not know about this. I was also able to work these items into the deal: winterization and storage, spring make ready and launch, captains training / instruction, full safety gear, extended warranty 3 yr, delivery to Pittsburgh, docking kit (lines, fenders, shore power cords, water lines). Got it for a few benjamin's under 150K.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:15 pm 
AGE < LOA

Sounds like you did fairly good then with all they included. That's cool you got the UW lights. They were high on my list. Problem was, they were DOA from FW. So, I'd say check them out to see if they work. I was on the phone with the mfg and he told me right away that many of the FW 08s were incorrectly wired. He made a trip to the factory bc FW couldn't get it figured out. How mine left the factory DOA is beyond me. But it was a pretty easy fix. They used too small awg for the length of the run. The grounds had a LONG run and so he told me to ground each ballast to each motor. That worked perfectly. Also, near the end of the season I took the blue filters out. Without the filters the beams penetrate through mirky water MUCH better. Blue looks so sweet on plane though... It's important to turn them on like once a week (during the season) to allow the condensation to burn off. They had some corrosion issues and they are going to send me a sample of corrosion inhibitor they recommend so the reflectors don't corrode. One of my reflectors was corroded and the other one was cracked when I bought the boat but fortunately both reflectors are fine. They are cool about replacing parts directly rather than trying to go through the FW warranty.

Did you get the c80 or the e80 chartplotter?

I would *highly* recommend the rail system. It should be an easy install. You can see my grill parked on it in the photo above if you look close.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:17 am 
wkearney99

Unless you *know* you're going to make use of the E-series features you might be fine with a C-series chartplotter. When I upgraded my C-80 to an E-80 it was because I wanted to use satellite weather. About 9 months later they came out with a weather unit that works with the C-series. The rest of the features, like the 3-D display and PC network connectivity never get used. Yeah, the 3D chart makes for a cool looking demo, but it's largely useless in real life.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next