www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:33 pm 
Dolphin

2005 348 with 5.7 with about 600 hours, always used in freshwater of Lake Simcoe and Georgian Bay.

It was new to me last year and after my sea trial it was pointed out that the starboard coupler should be changed - and it was - despite me not "feeling" it as the technician did. That saved me some cash!

On haul out, the mechanic pointed out some small rubber shreds below the port engine and suggested I consider a new coupler on that basis... Or I could just leave it , but should be aware they can go at any time if there are alignment issues (and usually at the worst time). Again, I could not "feel" anything at haul out.

My question is looking for others' thoughts on simply getting it done now, or should I wait to "feel" something.... Do they gradually worsen, or let loose all at once?

Second question - boat does not have bottom paint, hull is smooth and clean after acid wash at haul out. If I plan to keep it 5+ years, is it worth the cost and upkeep in freshwater?

If I were mechanically inclined, I might try them to save costs, but the above would be at marina rates.

All feedback welcomed

Four Winns 348 (2005)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:27 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Ablative bottom paint? No. Epoxy barrier coat? Yes.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:20 pm 

Hey Ernie we have bottom paint on our 328 and I don't have it done every year. We are on year 3. And still looks good but I did touch it up a little 2 yrs ago. What is the cost over there to acid wash every year? I do not need to wash our after it's on the hard

1997 225 Sundowner

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:03 pm 
Minnow

I hate to be the bearer of bad news , but if ones going out the other is not to far behind it .
I had one go out all of the sudden , I had just got out of the no wake wake zone , nothing can ruin your weekend any more than limping around on one engine
Main causes are lack of grease or age

I had friend do mine , his a car mechanic not a boat ,said it was no to hard .
Took him a total of 12.5 hours to remove both engines and install couplers by himself

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:43 pm 

I would not want to be starting out a new season with a coupler that might fail. So that I would have done beforehand. They can fail due to lack of lubrication but they also fail because the engine was not aligned properly. That's why you check the alignment when you pull the outdrive for yearly service. I would for sure get the alignment checked on the other one too. My boat has its original still on there....I do grease it each year and the alignment gets checked at the same time.
The problem with waiting to 'feel' something is that you might feel nothing more than a lack of forward propulsion and smell burning rubber. And then come in on one engine....

The bottom paint, that depends on your local conditions. Find out what others use where you will keep the boat. If its never been painted and you will have to use bottom paint, I would go the extra step and use a barrier coat.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:33 pm 
Dolphin

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. Decided to bite the bullet and get the coupler done (for peace of mind) and the bottom paint (epoxy + paint) for long time ownership. Will get this done at launch time.

Hopefully it will be an early launch with high water. I hear Georgian Bay is 80% frozen, so this should reduce water loss due to lake effect snow and maybe reduce the size of snow storms this year and keep the water in the Bay.

Four Winns 348 (2005)