www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:13 am 
email admin your custom rank

When I bought my 97 Vista 278 off some really close friends last year, I noticed the forward bilge pump (in the front locker where the genset sea strainer and 2 seacocks are housed) didnt work. I bought a new bilge pump to replace over the winter months. Not having a good strong working bilge pump in that locker, should something go wrong with the strainer, could be disastrous! :shock:

I crawled into the boat and installed the new bilge pump, that was the fun part. The original pump looked fine, albeit a little dirty. I had always wondered why that locker was so dirty inside, like water always sat in it. I just figured the original pump gave up the ghost years ago.

Anyways, cant get the new pump to work at all. Manually, auto or NOTHIN'. I multimetered the wiring harness in the bilge pump. Ah ha! No volts. At least I know why the old one wasnt working now. Start tracing wires and probing connections with the multimeter. Trace it back to the cabin circuit breaker panel. I jumper the bilge pump directly to the for bilge pump circuit breaker - nothing. Probe it, the circuit breaker isnt putting out any juice! Score, I found the problem - the breaker is bad.

Or so I thought... Turns out, presumably (because its never been touched by anybody but me), there was NO power wire going TO the forward bilge pump circuit breaker! :!: That explains the past water level stains I saw in that locker - Its always had a bilge pump in it, but it never had any power...lol.

The forward bilge pump breaker had a brown wire with white stripe (thats the switched manual "on" wire), on the output side of the breaker. On the input side is had a solid brown wire. Which is correct - thats the automatic always on function. But the input side was also missing the most important part!! That is, a positive power lead to a. energize the breaker, and b. share the pole with the automatic always on function and power that.

I was glad it was an easy fix, I simply supplied 12v power to the circuit breaker.

My boat must've been built on a Monday... either that or Four Winns let the new intern wire my circuit breaker panel! :lol:

Moral of the story: If you have a 278 Vista from the late 90's and you dont remember ever testing your forward bilge pump - test it. If you have no power, check the breaker panel to see that it actually HAS the power wire.

379 hours as of 8/8/21