www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:14 am 
Minnow

Hello everyone and thanks for the add..... I always like to talk to current model and brand owners to get a REAL idea of what I am getting into.

That said, I found a very discounted vista 288 (under $25K) that needs major service (manifold & risers, shift cables, all oils & filters, replace bilge pumps, etc). Boat has been sitting for a couple of years but you can tell previous owner did take care of her well until he/she stopped using it. Good newer electronics too + Autopilot.

Motors are the 5.0 GXI with SX drives and 522 hours. Some rust is present on both engines and compression test was done and results were OK. Looks like the manifolds were sipping a little water in to the 8 inner cylinders as all 8 have lower compression than all outer 8 if that makes sense....

That said, until we close on the deal, I have kept looking and this morning I called a broker that has a 2002 328 listed and told me that I should STAY away from the 288 model as their design is horrible and he has had 2 under brokerage and both were terrible at getting on a plane.

He went as far as saying that 2 larger males needed to go to the bow to be able to get the boat on plane and with the 5.0 engines. I'd like some real world feedback from hopefully 288 owners.

Broker said that he will plain and simple never ever try to sell a 288 again... not even if the client begs for only that model. That is a pretty bold statement.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:03 am 
Sting Ray

I have a 2005 V288 with the 5.0gxi's and generator the boat gets on plane ok the only time it struggled was when I had 7 adults on board but was still able to plane out .
the engine room is very tight space this could cause maintenance to be more costly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:24 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I currently have a 2007 288 with 5.0 GXI-G engines with the duo props and have no issues like broker tells you. Bought it used with 60 hours on it in 2007
Mine will get up on plane lickty split and depending on water conditions i can keep it on plane at 2900 RPM's
Also have a genny
Have replaced both fuel pumps
Maybe he is just trying to sell you on the 2002 328. They are no diff then car salesman
Manifolds and riser will be the major cost. What year
You could and should get it surveyed. That will tell you what it needs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:27 pm 
Shark

Don't know about the 288, but I would be very scared of those engines. If they were not winterized properly, both blocks could be busted.
I would go in under the assumption that boat engines need replacing unless you can run and verify.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:46 pm 

TheDanceII wrote:
Don't know about the 288, but I would be very scared of those engines. If they were not winterized properly, both blocks could be busted.
I would go in under the assumption that boat engines need replacing unless you can run and verify.

compression test was done and results were OK?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:47 am 

It's an odd size between the 268 and 298. I never considered one - not sure how many they built but not as many as the other models. It has a VERY tight engine room, my advice would go 298 or 328.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:09 am 

He isn't going to make much off 25k so take that into consideration. 10% split between brokers is only $1250.

And that's why you test drive.

Also, I would stay away. Those engines will be trouble. I bought a boat that sat for a few years(unknowing it was longer than a year until after we bought it) and it's been one issue after another.

Always go with the largest boat you can afford. You will never regret having more space. And if other owners say a cramped engine compartment, then stay away. I have a decent amount of room and it's still REALLY hard to work down there.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:46 am 
Minnow

Thalasso wrote:
I currently have a 2007 288 with 5.0 GXI-G engines with the duo props and have no issues like broker tells you. Bought it used with 60 hours on it in 2007
Mine will get up on plane lickty split and depending on water conditions i can keep it on plane at 2900 RPM's
Also have a genny
Have replaced both fuel pumps
Maybe he is just trying to sell you on the 2002 328. They are no diff then car salesman
Manifolds and riser will be the major cost. What year
You could and should get it surveyed. That will tell you what it needs

I thought about the survey but at lower than $25K, not sure that I would greatly benefit from a survey. I've been on the boat and everything looks really good besides the engines needing some major maintenance.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:48 am 
Minnow

TheDanceII wrote:

I was able to run the boat with no major issues. Both water pumps will need replacing as I could not get any water to come out of the exhaust when connecting via muffs but I did get plenty of water when connecting via fresh water flush hook ups.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:03 am 
Minnow

Thalasso wrote:
TheDanceII wrote:

compression test was done and results were OK?

Well taking in to consideration the apparent water seepage that I mentioned, the compression results were:

Port:
1: 175 2: 180
3: 145 4: 170
5: 165 6: 150
7: 170 8: 185

Stbd:
1: 170 2: 180
3: 150 4: 180
5: 170 6: 160
7: 180 8: 180

babbot1 wrote:
He isn't going to make much off 25k so take that into consideration. 10% split between brokers is only $1250.

And that's why you test drive.

Also, I would stay away. Those engines will be trouble. I bought a boat that sat for a few years(unknowing it was longer than a year until after we bought it) and it's been one issue after another.

Always go with the largest boat you can afford. You will never regret having more space. And if other owners say a cramped engine compartment, then stay away. I have a decent amount of room and it's still REALLY hard to work down there.

Can't really test drive the boat. It will not go in gear because of how toast the cables are. I was able to get the gears to engage manually though.

Sorry I disappeared for a bit. The seller apparently got super busy selling his other over $100,000 units and put this boat in the back burner. He recently resurfaced and would like to pick up on the conversation.

Another thing that happened prior to me going to check out the boat, was that it was put on the water and it took about 50 gallons of brackish water. No clue on how the water got in and it was in a span of about 2 hours. Seller said he would fix no matter what the issue turns out to be. That does scare me a bit....

I was OK with the thought of buying this unit for $24,800 and having to put in about $5000-$8000 in maintenance. With water intrusion, I am now very scared that it could be really bad.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:39 am 

Skip it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:02 pm 

firecadet613 wrote:
Skip it.

Totally agree!

Compression test doesn't look good to me on top of the numerous other issues you pointed out. BOTH will need a tear down. It may be something simple but I doubt it from what you have said with the water intrusion.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:30 pm 
Minnow

babbot1 wrote:
firecadet613 wrote:
Skip it.

Totally agree!

Compression test doesn't look good to me on top of the numerous other issues you pointed out. BOTH will need a tear down. It may be something simple but I doubt it from what you have said with the water intrusion.

Water intrusion (seepage) to the engines is what the mechanic thinks could have happened given the lower compression on 8 inner cylinders. He also mentioned that i could be as simple as sea foaming the engines and letting the sea foam take care of the carbon buildup

Water intrusion in the bilge is what scared me the most..... I am thinking about skipping it as you guys are recommending.

tried posting image but I keep getting a notice that they cannot be over 768 pixels high.... no idea host to manipulate photos

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:49 pm 

JPR wrote:
babbot1 wrote:
firecadet613 wrote:
Skip it.

Totally agree!

Water intrusion (seepage) to the engines is what the mechanic thinks could have happened given the lower compression on 8 inner cylinders. He also mentioned that i could be as simple as sea foaming the engines and letting the sea foam take care of the carbon buildup

Water intrusion in the bilge is what scared me the most..... I am thinking about skipping it as you guys are recommending.

tried posting image but I keep getting a notice that they cannot be over 768 pixels high.... no idea host to manipulate photos

Looks like #3,5 on the port and #3 on starboard are out of spec from the other cylinders. So if he says #8 is bad then probably more than one issue. Maybe a bad test too or just dirty valves but I would walk.
Water in the bilge, maybe not a big deal or could be major. My guess is a ripped bellow. If it was neglected I would think they are all cracked and hardened being out of the water.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:28 pm 
Minnow

babbot1 wrote:
Looks like #3,5 on the port and #3 on starboard are out of spec from the other cylinders. So if he says #8 is bad then probably more than one issue. Maybe a bad test too or just dirty valves but I would walk.
Water in the bilge, maybe not a big deal or could be major. My guess is a ripped bellow. If it was neglected I would think they are all cracked and hardened being out of the water.

I think I confused you.... He is not saying that #8 is bad.... what I meant to say is that the mechanic pointed out that he believes there is water seepage from the manifolds given the lowest compression numbers are found in the middle 4 cylinders for each engine.... Port (3, 5, & 6) and Stbd (3, 5, & 6) being the lowest.

bellows actually looked good.... I could not find any rips or tears.