www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:57 am 
wkearney99

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
I could check and see if we could fabricate one here at our shop for you. It probably would not be cheap, but I'm sure we could make one. Need a sample or exact dimensions to make sure it is exactly what you want.

Ok, here's what I'd need.

A handle in 7/8" circular tubing, polished stainless of course. The sides of it would need to be curved down to the deck and use studs to mount. I don't want to have screws on the facing side. I can get to the back side. I'd want a backing plate (or set, one for each stud) to help distribute the load and avoid cracks. The center of the rail must have a 10" straight section, this to allow the clamps for the grill to fit. The clamps require 9" of space, measured from the outside of the clamps. The 10" width figure it to allow for adjusting. The distance from the deck to the inside of the tubing must be 3". This to allow for being mounted on a reverse shear transom. The clamps use a spinner handle, of sorts, and those need a fair amount of room to turn. The 3" accomodates their needed turning radius, taking the angle of the transom into account. The entire handle must fit in less than 20" of width.

Picture a handle like this one (an AFI handrail on westmarine.com):
but with the inside of the rail standing 3" off the deck.

I'm talking about mounting this just above the shore power locker on the transom of a 348. This picture shows the transom area. And this picture, at an angle, shows that the mounting area is close to the step-down on the starboard gunwale. So i'd want the sides of the handle to be curved to help avoid someone getting their clothes caught on, tripping over or bruising themselves on a stubbed end. So keeping the handle's width as narrow as possible would be great. Between 15-18" would be ideal. There's no way to fit more than 20" max width.

It's a Magma Newport model grill. Using the T10-580 dual horizontal rail mounts. As I mentioned in other posts, using a rodholder mount isn't all that ideal since there's not a terribly convenient place to mount one. I could put one in the port aft gunwale but using it would be problematic since the bimini poles would be directly in my way.

So, to summarize, I'm looking for a polished stainless 7/8" circular tube handle with a clear 10" straight section, standing 3" off the deck, with ends curved to the deck using a stud mount, along with backer plates for the studs to help distribute load. Make sense?

Anyway, is that enough info to get a quote? Let me know if you need more details. Let me know the estimate cost and delivery time. PM me here or post in reply.

I'd prefer to get it done ASAP, there's GRILLIN' to be done!

THANKS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:34 am 
268 Vista

I asked engineering if we could make something like this. We could, but just the cost of the stainless tubing in a 6 foot length minimum, and the cost to send it out for bending would be cost prohibitive for us. I wish we could have helped.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy