www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:45 pm 
wkearney99

Anyone know who makes the handles on the 2005+ Vista series? I'd like to find another handle to mount above the shore power locker on our 348 Vista. I'd prefer to get one that's the same, or very similar, in appearance to the one that's already there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:42 am 
268 Vista

Not sure, but attwood may be the company. Or just e-mail CS at Four Winns, they will let you know who makes them. Very helpful people.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:30 am 
Seahorse

Just got to parts catalogue (http://www.fourwinns.net) and write down the number, then call FW or your dealer to get the part..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:55 pm 
wkearney99

Good tip on the checking the online parts manual. I had to go digging, it was listed under as a subassembly to the engine hatch.

http://www.fourwinns.net/partbook/2005/ ... =348V-IB05

Didn't see anything on Atwood's website that leads me to think they made this part.

Here's a thought, do any of the other 2005/2006 models have a similar handle like this, in a shorter size, on their transom? It sort of looks like all the other rails have their ends curved to meet the hull, instead of in a 'Tee' like the one on our 348. I'll have to double-check the measurements, but it seems like I'd need as much horizontal spread as I could get. Using a curved handle might not be wide enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:37 pm 
wkearney99

I'm told by Four Winns the supplier for handles is Corbin Tool. Hopefully they'll be able to come up with an easy solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:32 pm 
wkearney99

Damn it, I called Colbin Tool and they tell me that can't sell to individuals, citing liability risks. Yeesh.

What's a guy got to do to get a grab rail made that matches up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:44 pm 
Shark

wk99,

You may want to get a price from FW (through your dealer). I've found their pricing to be reasonable for an OEM.

2013 Sea Doo RXT-260

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:52 am 
268 Vista

wkearney99 wrote:
Damn it, I called Colbin Tool and they tell me that can't sell to individuals, citing liability risks. Yeesh.

What's a guy got to do to get a grab rail made that matches up?

I could check and see if we could fabricate one here at our shop for you.
It probably would not be cheap, but I'm sure we could make one. Need
a sample or exact dimensions to make sure it is exactly what you want.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:29 am 
wkearney99

Well, hopefully Four Winns can figure out a way to have one custom ordered through them. Otherwise, yes I'll take my micrometer out there and measure up the various bits of the existing handles. I'd prefer to avoid getting something from a different supplier, mainly to avoid any eventual resale value issues. No sense cobbling up something this year only to have it look odd in X number of years when we go selling the boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:42 pm 
wkearney99

Well, it looks like the standard handle, the one that's already on the back ot the transom, wouldn't be a good basis for a handle to hold a Magma grill. In order to get the clamp tight the bracket needs to be able to spin in a 3" circle. The factory handle doesn't give that much clearance. That's to say, even if a 15-18" equivalent was available it wouldn't protrude out far enough to work.

So, who's a good alternative supplier of grab rails?

I also discovered that while it'll be a VERY tight squeeze and a VERY long reach, there's enough room above the transom shore power locker to accomodate anchoring such a handle. Even with some decently hefty backing plate(s). I also found there's a metric assload of wasted space in those gunwales. Yeesh, it's shame to see all that space wasted like that. But the good news is that leaves PLENTY of room to sink a couple of rod holders.

I'm also inclined to put some recessed cleats in there. The aft quarter really needs a way to anchor a fender there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:49 pm 
Mental Floss

How about a rod holder and then using the rod holder mount for the magma?

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:03 pm 
wkearney99

The only places where a rodholder could be attached don't lend themselves to grill placement. That is, there are some plenty wide spaces on the aft gunwales. But on the starboard side you'd have to reach out over the seat cushion, presumably also after wiggling around the table. On the port side there's more access but it'd require putting rodholders immediately above the main battery cut-off panel. I'm less than enthused about the idea of introducing holes above that area. That and it's not really all that accessible due to there being bimini poles in the way. At the far stern there's the upright bimini pole. But then there's also one coming out from the arch, up at an angle, meeting up with the stern pole. This ends up being directly in my line-of-sight for flipping the burgers. Neither location is all that ideal.

That and the stern grab rail is raised vertically from a recessed notch in the transom. Thereby making it pretty much impossible to attach rail-mounted rod holders. And there's not enough space along the top of the transom to put a hole for one. Were it possible to attach rodholders to the existing transom rail it'd be worth doing. But the only way they'd attach would end up angling them back INTO the boat. Then there'd be the problem of the grill then hanging back into the seating area.

It's really looking like the only option is to put a grab rail over the shore power locker and use rail mounts for the grill. The only downside to this is the right side of the grill (a Magma Newport) comes rather close to the starboard step on the gunwale. The grill itself clears it ok, but the propane bottle fitting comes a bit close. It won't hit but it's close enough that if the grill were left attached it might make it a bit hard to use that step. And of course our dock has it's finger pier on that side.

So now I've got to find a grab rail that's got enough 'extension' from the deck surface to allow the rail mounts to fit. I'm open to suggestions on suppliers to contact. The rails through Boatersworld or West Marine aren't quite tall enough. Nor are the ones Four Winns already mounts up on the radar arch.

I'm less inclined to go back to my original idea of using a pedestal on the swim platform because of how it'll require stowing more gear. The grill alone is a bit bulky but can fit well enough in a duffel bag. I'm probably going to scare up some closed-cell foam to cushion it a bit. That and cushion the ankes of anyone unlikely enough to bump it (personal experience, ouch). But if I go with the Garelick quick release pedestal the mount on the bottom of the grill makes it troublesome to fit in a bag. And there's also the unknown of how much lateral stress such a base would tolerate. I'd hate to bump it and have the grill go overboard...

So I'm in need of a grab rail with 12" flat space that's got 3" of clearance from the deck. I can fit one up to 18" long but it can't have less than 12" flat along the handle as that's how wide the grill mounts are.

Got any supplier suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:51 pm 
Shark

wkearney99

Are you completely sold on the newport grill? One the reasons I moved away from the rectangular grills is the difficulty in mounting them. I bought a Catalina, Newport, and the new oversized party kettle grills and tried to decide what would work best and mount easiest. The Newport and Catalina were hard to mount and still be easily removed. I chose the kettle ultimately and have been very happy.

Here is what it looks like mounted on my boat.

I used the socket type mount which locks in place but is still easy to remove. Don't know if this might work for you but worth considering IMHO.

2013 Sea Doo RXT-260

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:59 am 
wkearney99

I don't like the grill area on the kettle style. It's just not what I like to use for cooking. I prefer the larger, squared off area much more than the round.

The rectangular ones can be mounted in a rodholder. I'm not sure a single holder will be as secure as I'd like but I'd be willing to give it a try if I can't get this handle thing sorted out. And if the single rodholder isn't enough then I'm sure a pair of them should be sufficient.

What I'm wondering about the rodlholder mounts, however, is how easily they detach for stowing the grill. I don't intend to keep this thing mounted full time.

If the rodholders don't lend themselves to stowing the grill in a bag then I'd probably just go with Magma's own post mounts. They're about 3" tall and wouldn't add significantly to the storability of the grill. I'd just have to add two holes for the grill mounts. If I'm cuttin' holes in the boat I'd just as soon have them serve multiple purposes.

All this basically because of how the transom rail is recessed. I won't go so far as to call the way it's mounted a stupid design, but it's surely lacking in flexibility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:24 am 
wkearney99

jvalich wrote:
How about a rod holder and then using the rod holder mount for the magma?

Any idea how well the rodholder mount would work for a rectangular Newport model Magma grill? Stable enough?