www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:02 am 
The Real Dr.Evil

As the topic implies... I am considering a Rigid Inflateable Boat on Davits on the swim platform. I am not decided yet, and even if I do decide yes, it will be a way down the road project since it will be in the neighborhood of 3 to 4 grand to do...

I can get an 8.5' Rigid Inflatable with a 5 or 6 HP Merc outboard four stroke and davits to mount on my ESP. Now granted I don't have a 348, 378 etc.. But my swim platform is still pretty decently sized and if I stick with an 8.5' RIB it won't stick out past the sides of the boat.

I was just thinking how cool would it be to drop anchor and take the RIB out for a spin.. Need to make a quick trip to shore, no problem you can drive the RIB right up the beach..

Plus I would imagine an 8' rib with 6HP would rip along at a decent clip :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:24 pm 
Dolphin

Well, maybe only a little out of your mind, but you aren't the only one who's thought of it :) Check out the mount on my 278. The guy I bought it from designed and built the mount and set it up so you can still walk on the swim platform. To launch the RIB, I just pull a line to release the davits, and it slips into the water.

I currently have it removed for some engineering modifications, and to use the mount for an extended swim platform. It's very well built with brackets that bolt through the transom, which fortunately are extremely strong, and will have no trouble supporting an extended platform.

The only real issue I saw with it was the safety issue with having the davits on top of the swim platform. Imagine slipping and falling on one of those... I plan to mount the davits from underneath the extended platform so that they're recessed, which should take care of the problem.

Joe

1998 278 Vista - Twin 4.3 GLs, Kohler 4KW Gen, AC/Heat.
1999 Yamaha Waverunner SUV
2003 Yamaha Waverunner SUV w/MR-1 HO conversion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:13 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

Joe,

Now that's what I'm talkin about right there! That's a top notch setup and that's basically what I want to do. Here is a photo of the Davit system I am strongly leaning towards.

With the Davit bars removed it only leaves behind a nice smooth stainless steel latch (two latches) on the platform. I also want to do Flexiteek on my swim platform so what I may do is hold off on the teak till I get the RIB setup and then have the manufacturer of the flexiteek route out around where the davit latches will go so that they will be "sunken in" around the teak.

I will shop around for RIB and Motor because Worst Marine's prices are ridiculous ($1700 for a 9' RIB and $1500+ for the 5-6HP Merc OB's, I would most likely pick up a Tohatsu and save a bundle.. (Same motor).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:16 am 
Dolphin

Too bad you live so far away, I have a (BoatUS) 3 year dingy and motor I paid over 2K for and would sell both for 1K. They have been stored indoors and look like brand new. The dinghy however is made of hypalon( best for resistance to UV degradation). Only problem it may not be what your looking for since it's not a RIB. The motor is a 3yr old 4-stroke 5HP Merc. with less than 10 hours. And it too is like brand new. I selling both because we're moving and will have no where to store them. The link below shows dinghy that looks some what to the one that I'm selling.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... sNum=10801

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:22 am 
Dolphin

Brett,

That's a really clean davit system that should work perfectly for you, and it's a bonus that it doesn't leave a safety hazzard on the platform.

I agree on the WM prices on both the RIBs and the outboards... I still don't have an outboard for mine (previous owner didn't include the 9.9 in the picture) but was thinking about mounting an old 10HP Johnson that I need to overhaul/restore. It would move really good with that much HP, although the RIB is only rated to 7HP. I'm more leaning toward a smaller 4.5 4 stroke that has an integral tank, which would allow more space in the RIB.

Joe

1998 278 Vista - Twin 4.3 GLs, Kohler 4KW Gen, AC/Heat.
1999 Yamaha Waverunner SUV
2003 Yamaha Waverunner SUV w/MR-1 HO conversion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:03 pm 
wkearney99

Brett248Vista wrote:
I also want to do Flexiteek on my swim platform

Why? I have Flexiteek on my 348 and ABSOLUTELY HATE IT. It gets so hot it burns your feet. This is on the Chesapeake so it's not like I'm talking blazing tropical sun on it. I have to use the shower washdown hose to keep guests (and me) from burning our feet standing on it. If I could remove it without leaving a mess I'd seriously consider it. Do yourself a favor, before you ruin your boat, get out on someone's platform, in the sun, that already has that crap on it. Otherwise, don't say I didn't warn ya....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:22 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

wkearney99 wrote:
Brett248Vista wrote:
I also want to do Flexiteek on my swim platform

Why? I have Flexiteek on my 348 and ABSOLUTELY HATE IT. It gets so hot it burns your feet. This is on the Chesapeake so it's not like I'm talking blazing tropical sun on it. I have to use the shower washdown hose to keep guests (and me) from burning our feet standing on it. If I could remove it without leaving a mess I'd seriously consider it. Do yourself a favor, before you ruin your boat, get out on someone's platform, in the sun, that already has that crap on it. Otherwise, don't say I didn't warn ya....

I appreciate the sincere warning, but I came from owning a boat in SOLID Red gelcoat... I know all about getting burnt :)

I am willing to risk it, to rid myself of dingy white non skid! It NEVER looks clean it always looks soiled and even if clean, only stays clean for all of a minute. Flexi looks classy and when it needs it, hit it with some 180 grit and reseal it and your good for another lord knows how many years.

I will try to find someone with flexiteek and see just how bad it is.. I would trade my whole esp to someone with a flexiteek esp if they wanted to get rid of that terrible stuff :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:59 pm 
email admin your custom rank

We have a few people at our marina that have smaller cruisers like yours and mine. Almost all of them refuse to carry their dingy on the platform. They all say it acts as an air trap on the back of the boat. I just lift mine onto the bow on strap it down. I store the motor under the aft seat. I have an 8'6 inflatable anda 5 hp Suzuki. i realize that a rib would weigh more, but I would rather have the inflatable and save the gas that the drag from a tent on the back of my boat would create. Just my 2 cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:34 pm 
wkearney99

I find hauling it horizontally on the platform of our 348 has no 'air trap' issues. I've just been dragging it up straight onto the platform. I'm still debating whose davits to use (or fab some of my own).

I could imagine it be a problem with it being vertical but only if the dinghy stood a fair bit taller than the transom. Weaver sells different sized extensions for holding the top away from the transom. I've seen setups where it's held nearly flush to the transom (tilted inward) for travel underway. But then having longer extensions for standing it more upright. Presumably to allow access to the platform, transom lockers and cleats for mooring.