www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Potential 298 Owner
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:48 am 
Shark

So I'm in the process of selling my current 25' Crownline and looking at 2000-2003 298s.

I "think" I have my list of canidates narrowed down to 3 boats.

Out of the below 3 options assuming the conditions are all about equal which do you think would be the best value?

2000 5.0L GI/DP w/ 250hrs Genny and trailer $79.9K
2001 5.7L GSI/DP w/ 150 hrs no genny or trailer $78k
2003 5.0L GXI/DP w/ 200 hrs no genny or trailer $79.9k

In my research to this point I can't see any noteable differences between 298s from 2000-2003.

100% of my boating will be on Lake Michigan and the boat will be slipped at Belmont Harbor in Chicago.

Post subject: Re: Potential 298 Owner
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:33 pm 
Mental Floss

2000 5.0L GI/DP w/ 250hrs Genny and trailer $79.9K - Slightly Underpowered with genny but should perform adequately, don't expect to be a speed demon. Should be able to recouple at least 2k from sale of trailer if you have no use for it.

2001 5.7L GSI/DP w/ 150 hrs no genny or trailer $78k - Should perform very well.

2003 5.0L GXI/DP w/ 200 hrs no genny or trailer $79.9k - Should perform well

I would sea trial #1 and #2 checking for how the boat performs; is the level acceptable for you? If #1 works, you are getting a genset which will help later on resale and you are recouping some cost by liquidating the trailer. Used trailers generally sell rather quickly, especially one that will handle a 298 Vista.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:11 pm 
Shark

Thank you for the reply. Is there any particular reason you left out the 03'
Do you feel the fact that the boat is 3 yrs newer with less hours isn't "worth" as much as the trailer and generator?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:04 am 
Mental Floss

It's hard to say. The genset install on the boat when new was 8K I'd venture. I believe mine was a almost a $10 option but included the A/C too. Turnkey installation of a genset is easily $6k.

The biggest hit in depreciation was the first year. On a 2000 - 2003, the yearly depreciation has certainly leveled off.

The difference between the GI in the 2000 and the GXI in the 2003 is, I believe Throttle body fuel injection over Multi Port injection, pushing the output of the engine up some horsepower (20 or so). I;m not a gearhead, perhaps someone else here can give you the details.

I would highly recommend the hiring of a surveyor to look at any boat you choose. You might want to ask the surveyor about which boat he would feel is the best option from your list and have him survey it. One of the functions of the surveyor is to determine a market price. He would certainly know your market and be able to give you an idea as to the value of a boat with and without a genset.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:39 pm 
Starfish

Hi!

Our 298 has the 5.0 GI's and a genny and we find it to be plenty peppy. Getting up on plane with 11,500 lbs is a challenge for any boat but ours does it just fine. At 3200 RPM we are usually cruising around 28 mph per GPS.

I STRONGLY recommend the boat with the genny. Down here in HOTBAMA we don't go out if the genny is not working (and yes, its being serviced right now for what we believe is a minor problem). The A/C and electricity (blowing up tubes, 5 year old watching DVD's, etc) it is nice.

I think it really helps resale too. Now up north, all that might be different. But down here a genny is a real plus for resale.

Good Luck!

Scottsboro, Alabama

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:19 pm 
Shark

Sooner,

What kinda of WOT speeds do you get with that setup? I'm not looking for a speed demon but I'd like to be able to do a bit of 40MPH.

I just don't see us using the genny. Any overnighting we do is either in my slip or in a transient in another marina. There should always be power hookups. When I'm out for day I don't anticipate using the AC. I guess I could be wrong but at the same price point I think I'd rather have the 5.7 GSIs with less hours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:01 pm 
Starfish

To be truthful, I've never run her at WOT. I installed fuel flow meters last year and that kind of discourages me from pedal to the metal. My wife would jump overboard at 40 anyway.

I can tell you that we have NO problem hitting 35 mph via GPS. With trimming we might see 40.

The genny where you are is probably not such a big deal. You might ask a broker or two about whether selling a generator less boat is harder or not, but again, you market is not as hot or humid as long as our market is. Not having a genny will give you lots more room in the engine room.

Good luck!

Scottsboro, Alabama