www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:25 am 
email admin your custom rank

Well, many of you know that I moved up from a 225 Sundowner to a 2002 248 Vista. There are so many other things to think about from when moving up to a bigger boat. There was the new dog in the cabin incident to start off the season, but I allready told you about that.

This past weekend was another perfect example. We rented a slip at a lake close to us for a week. Now where the slip is, we have to go under a bridge, which requires us to lower and raise the bimini top. No problem, we remembered to do that everytime. Luckily I had good shipmates who were very helpful and always raised and lowered it for me while I navigated under the very narrow bridge.

However, after my crewmates had a few beverages, they began to become less effective as crewmates. On our way home from dinner, (at night, they did remember to take down the bimini, however they neglected my towering anchor light. Under the bridge, and WHACK! Busted light socket.

Although, being the captain of my vessel, I am ultimately responsible, it would be nice with everything to think about, if I had help on a consistent basis.

Fast forward to the trip home. (Remember, long weekend) So we trailer the baheemith of a boat home. It's late, we are tired, etc... We proceed to back it into where we store the boat. ( any of you who trailer a vista know that you need a lot of verticle clearance with a vista. But having stored this boat here for 6 months, I knew that. The boat fits JUST FINE.

WHEN YOU REMEMBER TO LOWER THE BIMINI TOP!

As I slowly back the boat into its resting place, (slowly being the key word), CRUNCH. Smacked the bimini on the overhand above the door. I immediately knew what happend and in my fit of rage, I pulled forward, shouted a few choice words, many of which ryhme with Chuck, and accessed the damage. Luckly, I only suffered some bent poles. Being made of stainless steel, I am hoping that I will be able to bend them back the 4 inches that I bent them. It could have been a lot worse as I could have dislodged the mounts from the fiberglass or shattered the windows.

Ah, the joys of boating. After that ordeal, we have decided to get a permantent slip and forget this trailering thing.

One other nautical folley that I will share with you out of my boating blunders diary, was when we slipped our boat for a weekend on Lake Michigan. Southern Lake Michigan is known for it's beautiful sand dunes and georgous sunsets. Well, after scurrying to get to our marina, launch the boat, and get a transient slip assignment, the Mrs. decides she wants to go out on the water to watch the remainder of the sunset. So, we hurry up, untie the boat, get ready to go, and begin backing out. DOH!!! I forgot to unplug the shore power. Lucky for me, we had plenty of extra cordage and didn't do any damage, but geeze. All the things that I have to remember that I didn't even think about with my smaller 225 sundowner.

The funny thing is, I consider myself a safe and educated boater (having taken the power squadron boating course). I can only imagine the issues that uneducated boaters go through.

Oh well, lessons learned and the boating life goes on.

I hope you find this as humerous as I do looking back at it and I know I deserve any humiliation that you guys choose to toss my way.

"Where Da Go"
2002 248 Vista
Lafayette, IN
http://blueoceanlife.worldventures.biz