www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:50 am 
email admin your custom rank

Guys on my 99 Vista 258 our hatch hinges broke right off the hatch lens. It was like this when i bought it, so Im not sure what the previous owner did (probably drove with it open). Anyways I tried gluing the hinge back on with rear view mirror glue, per the tech support at Lewmar only to drop one of the hinges in 9 feet of water at my marina :x
Go to find out, if you have the "Concept" hatch by lewmar on your Four Winns (and they were only installed by FW on FW's) it was discontinued around 1999-2000 and parts have also been discontinued. Lewmar sold 40 repair kits to FW in Sept 2005 and that was the last of their stock, forever. I ordered one for $175 from FW, not bad considering it includes everything under the sun for your hatch (handles, seals, screws, hinges, new lens (hatch lid!), etc). Its basically an overhaul kit which includes everything but the housing that fits into the hole in your fiberglass.

Just wondering though if anybody else had a problem with their Lewmar Concept or other Lewmar hatch. Theres another Vista in my marina (238, although same hatch) that is also broken. And if you do have the hatch and want to be able to fix something wrong on it one day - I would get the repair kit sooner than later! I was quoted a new hatch for $475. So $175 really isnt all that bad considering.... :?

379 hours as of 8/8/21

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:24 am 
268 Vista

Wow, that's an outrageous cost for new. I hope mine never breaks.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:31 pm 

And thats for a "comparable" model. Im just bummed that with a boat as new as 1999 that the hatch and all supporting hardware has been discontinued.
I had a 1988 Larson and when my bowmar hatch broke I picked up handles for it at my west marine for $20. Bowmar brand, exact OEM replacements. I repeat a 1988. Now on my 1999 I got lucky "this time" but next time the only option is to replace the whole unit.

379 hours as of 8/8/21

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:54 pm 
Guppy

Had the same problem with our Lewmar hatch on a 2000 248 Vista. Searched for replacement parts between gluing attempts, but finally got a good set and it has held up. Good to know about the repair kits but I'll keep my fingers crossed and continue to pen/close carefully.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:40 am 

I had a spare hatch lid because I got a replacement under warranty. I finnaly gave it to some one on the yahoo board who had a broken hinge. Maybe i should have kept it. We don't open ours because we have AC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:07 pm 
Shark

I had the EXACT same problem and I am the guy that teker sent his hatch to, (Thanks again!)

I tried various glues that would only last a season, but was never given the advice to use rear view mirror glue. Do you still need the piece? I can see if I still have it (I may have tossed the whole thing.)

Because of the problem, I NEVER use that hatch unless necessary.