www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:03 am 
Tadpole

Hello, folks.

As the title sytates I'm new to the forum - actually stumbled accross it looking for information to help guide me in installing shore power on my 1997 238 Vista and thought, no place better than this to get info !

I've done a lot of research on teh components i need and have purhcased them already. The AC system will be used to charge batteries and run small appliances e.g. coffe maker, toaster oven etc., and charge the lap-top and i-Pad when on the dock. I also have a Honda i2000 to run the AC at the locks only, but o not plan to run when on the hook.

Anyhow, I have all the parts so I'm now ready to install. Though, I've been searching the internet for proper placement of the batter charger (when i say proper, i mean where the components were installed by the factory), panel and GF outlet. I've seen the shore power outlet sits mid-ship, port side; batter charger is installed in the engine compartment on port side; and panel is installed above the stereo on the port side cabinet, while the GF outlet sits on the same cabinet, forward. Ok so far...

A quick cursory look last weekend left me thinking that installing hte shore power outlet, panel and GF outlet would be relatively straightforward. But, I was also left thinking that running the wire back to the charger would be a pain.

So now I'm wondering what will be the easiest way to run the wiring, from the panel and back to the charger in the engine compartment. So I'm looking for advice on how I could best run the wire to the engine compartment from the panel. I'm hoping there's a trick, or secret that I can't seem to figure out. Any other advice or tips would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:35 am 
email admin your custom rank

First off, I have never been on a 238, so this is my general thoughts on this project.

Having had a 258, 268, and now a 318, I have found with the way we use the boat and dock stern in, the shore power is more suited on the rear of the vessel. On the port side midship can be a challenge when your on a starboard tie, especially with the canvas up. Just my opinion

You should be able to fish the wires though the bulkhead, where the factory wires and plumbing come thru. I use a flexiable fiberglass rod (the sticks that the snow plow guys use) and carfullly work it through. If you remove the port side padded trim, you should find a hole accessing the gunwale area to pull wires.

I would recommend following as close a possible some factory wiring, that way you can tie up you new stuff to the existing real easy.

Hope that helps.

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:43 am 

jsimon wrote:

the shore power is more suited on the rear of the vessel.

Have to agree with everything Jeff said but the above statement is something that I would really push you to do especially if you want to run the EU2000 on the platform while on the hook. I really wish mine was located there instead of the default location.

2009 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7L 4x4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:26 am 
wkearney99

One very, very important thing to do is make SURE you securely fasten all the wiring. Do not just leave any portions of it dangling. Boat motion will cause loose wires to move and possible break internally. This leads to cracks and overheating and potentially to a fire. So just make sure all of the wiring is properly secured. DO NOT SKIMP ON THIS.

Then there's the connections themselves. DO NOT USE ANY WIRE NUTS. Always use marine rated ring terminals (not the open-ended kind). This way if anything did start to work loose then the ring end would keep it in place, not flopping around. Do not just use the screw-down terminals with the wire bent around them. Again, use the ring terminals. And, of course, everything needs to be a direct run, no splicing anywhere between connections.

Yes, it'll seem like added work to put the ring terminals on everything. But that's a lot less work than having an electrical fire or someone getting electrocuted.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:53 pm 
Tadpole

Wow ! Thanks to all for your quick and insightful advice.

Funny you mention placement of the outlet, because I had really considered stern placement for all the reasons mentioned above, but thought against it becuase...well...if that's where the manufacturere placed it then....

Anything I should be mindful of if I install on stern (I'm considering stern quarter close at starboard because of how we tie up at the marina) ?

I did my homework on the best, safest components to use and the safest way to secure wire ends. So yes, I have purchased and will be using marine grade components (made in NA, not China), ring terminals, lock washers and will tie down throghout...plus, my marina mechanic is always willing to share expertise for a 'bevy' :)

Thanks again. And any further thoughts welcome.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:24 pm 

Quote:
(I'm considering stern quarter close at starboard because of how we tie up at the marina) ?

Not sure what you mean here, but I would be on the stern of the boat if it were me. I dont know if there is a shore water inlet or not, but if there is, I would put it near that so when you route your dock power and water, they can all run together and be a neat package. I know power and water dont mix, but on the stern of our 318, there is a small door and inside is where power, water, and cable all hook up. It is really nice to have everything at 1 location.

I also second Bills thought on securing all your wiring really well. I didnt do a very good job in emphasizing the point.

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:09 pm 

If you do a search you will find a couple of people that have put it on the stern.....

2009 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7L 4x4