www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:44 pm 
Whatever

Just got back from our 1st outing with new to us (used 2000 248). We test drove it at a lower elevation, I am aware of the alt differances and its effects on performance.
I want to reprop, but don't understand volvos F3, F4, F5. What to they mean to me. I have F3's on the drive right now. I am not getting high enough RPM, want to gear down. What set do I need to look for? Who makes a good aftermarket set?

Thanks
Kris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:35 am 
Whatever

I am finding out that there are not aftermarket props for the DP. I will have to look for a used set.

But does anyone have advice on prop pitches? Which numbers (F1, F2, or F4, F5) do I need to look for to get my RPMs up.
Which is the steeper pitch?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:28 am 
email admin your custom rank

To get the RPMs up, you'd need to drop down the F number range ( i.e. from a F3 to a F2 or F1 ( or else change the drive's internal gear ratio to that used for high altitude operation). There is another recent thread containg info re how my boat performed better with the proper F5s rather than the incorrect F6s it had to begin with.

The F series are stainless steel and expensive; If mine were wrong and I was buying new/ swopping props, if I couldn't borrow some to try out I'd be tempted by the composite props; these have replaceable blades, which could allow you to play around with the props pitch relatively cheaply. It's vital though that the front and rear props are the same F number!

Regards,

Graham

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:22 am 
Whatever

Graham R

Thanks for the reply. I do have the high alt gearing (1.95) and have now had it out on the water enough to run the stail fuel out, have changed all fluids and now runs MUCH better. Performance is up, fairly happy with it, but still can't get the WOT RPM above 4200.

Next check, tachometer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:11 pm 
Dolphin

My 2000 248 Vista has an adjustment screw for the tach. Yours could just be out of adjustment. If you could borrow a meter to check your rpms you would be able to check the reading against your tach's reading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:32 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

Hrmm..... I've not even had mine to WOT yet (aside from comming on plane) I'm not even sure what I top out at, I am around 700 feet above sea level and I beleive I have F5's on mine. Speedo wise it's seen 40MPH but I'm sure that's more like 38 GPS :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:51 pm 
AGE < LOA

powell, curious what motor you have? I have the 5.0 Gi, but I haven't wound it out yet - no real need to. I have the F3's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:26 pm 
Whatever

the boat is a 2000 w 5.7L GSI, 1.95 gears in outdrive, F3 SS props.

1st outting was at 6600 ft elev. water temp 66 deg F. air temp 75 deg F
2nd outting was at 6500 ft elev. air temp 75 deg F, but had filled up with fresh fuel and hoped that we ran most of the old gas out on 1st outing.

I was fairly bummed with performance on 1st outing, (probably bad gas, I also changed all fluids after 1st outing) 2nd it ran much stronger, hole shot was much improved.

Next trip will be to lake powell which is 3600 ft elev. and warmer, I hope to see a bit more performance, but will have more weight on board to camp.

When I talk about performance, I just want the boat to plane out at a reasonable amount of time, I know this is a heavy boat and not a runabout. I don't care what top speed is, as we only cruise around the lake at 28-32 MPH, we have a jet ski for speed. This boat was purchased for a camper/cruiser.

I was hoping for simmilar hole shot as our last boat ('95 245 sundowner 7.4L king cobra) Both boats are rated at approx same HP and king cobra was a single prop vs. a DP on the 248. The 248 isn't much heavier vs the 245.

Thanks for all replys.