www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: dinghy mounts?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:48 pm 
wkearney99

What sorts of davits are folks using to mount a dinghy on a vista? There's enough room on the swim platform to accomodate a number of different types. Which ones work best (and what's worth avoiding)?

Post subject: Look into Weaver Davaits
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:02 pm 
Goldfish

I had Weaver make custom mounts with removable davits on my 298. This accommodates the height and rear edge vertical angle of the swim platform. Make sure you get a professional dinghy dealer to put the pads on your dinghy - gluing is an art. The pads is how the dinghy gets attached to the davits. The removable model of the davit is preferred to prevent injury when people are jumping off the platform. You can go cheaper with permanent mounts that stay on the platform. You also need to order stand-off bars so the dinghy is stowed angled in, but vertical so you still have use of the full swim platform - these are also customized length because the angled transom of a Vista means a longer rod is needed to keep the stowed dinghy somewhat vertical while maintaining access to the platform.

If you decide to go this way, you will have to figure out how to best tie your stern lines because the dinghy will block a straight line shot to the dock cleat. I installed pop-up cleats on the swim platform - this allows the stern lines to go under the dinghy.

This arrangement is great. Once anchored, I remove the standoff bars and lower the dinghy. It is very stable when stepping in the dinghy to mount the engine. Also, I got a smaller engine (YAMAHA 2.5HP) so it fits in my transom with room for shorepower, lines, and pail.

Weaver has a template to use to make the custom offset davits.

I researched this very well and very happy with the arrangement. People are always complementing the arrangement.

The main disadvantage is cost. The whole thing (including bowlight pad glued) cost me about $800. The pop-up cleats were extra. I installed all hardware myself and let the pros handle gluing the pads on the dinghy.

You really have to consider how much you will use your dinghy because you lose the view behind you when cruising, access to the swim platform means ducking under the standoff bars. Our neighbor had a dinghy for two seasons and sold it. He didn't have the weaver set up so he was constantly inflating, folding, and deflating for every use. My Weaver setup means one inflation for the whole season.

Good Luck,

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:17 am 
Seahorse

About five years ago I got a set of C-lift inflatable carrier brackets (Boaters World page 346 in new catalog $89.99) anbd they have done a fine job of transporting my 8 1/2 ft Achilies dingy on both my 238 and now my 268. Let me know if you nees shots of the brackets on my platform

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:18 am 
268 Vista

Without question , this is the best system available. Look no where else if you are serious about a davit system. Very costly, but worth every cent.
Seawise makes a great product, and there service is exceptional.

http://www.davitsystem.com/hydraulic_demo.htm

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:25 am 
wkearney99

I hear what you're saying about inflation/deflation cycles. Ours inflates pretty quickly and deflates even faster. It's more the tedium of inserting/removing the bottom panels that's a pain.

The swim platform on the 348 is level, it doesn't slope downward at the stern, at least not enough to make much difference. But is it relatively high, just slightly higher than the tube of the dinghy when it's in the water. I'll be sure to make measurements and will certainly consider professional install of the pads.

What's the possibility of stowing the outboard in the engine compartment? In the 348 Vista there's actually enough room just forward of the engines to accomodate it. Probably at a slight angle (around 15 degrees) with the power head on one side with the prop angled over to the other side. It looks like a motosto transom mount might work well for holding it. Mounted against the bulkhead just forward of the engines. Granted, it's not as 'easy' as stowing it in a transom locker but it wouldn't be all that difficult to raise the hatch and pull the outboard. If I were going on a long trip I'd feel better having the engine stowed more securely than just up on the dinghy itself (using weavers, that is).

So I suppose the real question is whether to go with vertical or flat davits. Our docks are such that entering from the swim platform is the best solution.

Neither style would work best but the vertical type might make it easier to step in from the starboard side. I've been meaning to ask to have us moved to a slip with the finger on the port side. This might be the best reason for the move. I could then mount the dinghy with it's stern to the starboard side of the boat and have only the bow point near the port walk-through on the transom of the 348. This would also let me keep the stand-off bars from blocking entrance to the boat (one just above the shore power locker and the other just to the right of the walk-through.

The flat (weaver) type could get likewise mounted to make entry easier. The downside there being it'd protrude further to the rear making it a bit tight to fit into our slip. It's already close now and I'd prefer to avoid paying for a longer slip.

I'm going to take a look at a 6hp Johnson this morning and will see if it'd fit where I'd like to stow it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:02 am 
268 Vista

You prefer storing the outboard to leaving it on the dinghy ????

:shock:

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:56 pm 
Goldfish

The idea of dinghies is the least hassle the better. Certainly that hydraulic thingy is the least. But, I wouldn't leave the engine on during the week in the elements when not on the boat, so you would have to stow is somewhere.

For the Weaver davits, when in the slip I made a longer stand-off bar using an aluminum boatrail part sized to allow the dinghy (I have the Zodiac Fast Roller 9'4") to be completely vertical because the inward leaning position is for underway and using canvas hardware to hook up to the standoff clips on the Vista transom and the other on the dinghy transom (structurally stronger). The leaning in towards the transom minimizes catching air and putting undue stress on the pads. But, this position limits where you can stand straight up on the platform. My makeshift bar is installed only on the aft end of the dinghy, with no bar on the forward location - this allows almost full upright use of the platform when in the slip. It also allows easier on/off access.

As far as your outboard location - if you have hydraulic lifts for engine room access, then go for it. For my 298, the forward part is where the GENSET is located, but the 298 engine compartment requires you to lift up and out the cover - and it is heavy. I had to sacrifice a bigger engine for stowability in the transom.

If the bottom edge of your platform rides higher than the dinghy, then you would need the custom davits with the offset bends. When you step on the dinghy it will only go lower and you don't want to put the davit pads on top of the tubes. They recommend the davit pads be placed at mid-tube height.

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:09 pm 
wkearney99

Decisions, decisions. It's tough to pick which style to use. I'm leaning heavily towards the horizontal style. Vertical storage bugs me on several fronts. Mainly it's looks clunky on the back of our 348. I tried leaving the dinghy upright on the stern and taking a look at it from another boat. I didn't like it. Nor do I like how it dramatically interferes with the rearward visibility when underway with the aft bimini top attached. That top blocks quite a lot of the view from the helm when you're underway and on plane. So to have the dinghy sticking up somewhat blocks even more. Not a good thing.

So that leaves the horizontal style. Of which I'm considering either the Hurley or the Nautely style. Both are essentially the same thing, a tilting bracket with a vee that cradles the keel. Both would allow leaving the engine attached. Both would also require adding some tie-down points to the hold the dinghy onto the brackets and the boat.

The Hurley is a bit lower to the platform and has horizontal cross members. The outward cross member would hit the curved part of the transom edge unless an extended bracket is used. There's actually enough curvature for this to be a problem (dang it). The brackets are not designed to be removed. The frame comes off the brackets by pulling to pins. But this would leave two brackets sticking out about 8" from the lip of the platform, one of which would be over near the ladder.

The Nautley brackets have the keel sitting a bit higher and they don't have the cross members. This means it'll tilt downward without having to be as far away from the transom. But their bracket isn't available in an extended form. They make a higher-end bracket with rubber rollers but at $1500 it's a bit of overpriced overkill for our inflatable.

I'd really like to have all this gear be as removable as possible, mainly to avoid having extra junk that could catch people's feet when on the platform. So I'm weighing the idea of making my own removable bracketing setup. I'm leaning toward using the Nautley brackets. I'd have a section of bracket made up that has an inverted T profile. Then I'd use some Weaver quick release brackets to hold them while mounted on the swim platform. This way I'd be able to pop both brackets off in two "stowable" sections and leave only the 1/4" high stainless bracket receivers on the platform.

I'll have to do some measuring under the swim platform to find the precise lengths and bolt hole locations. But at this point I'm looking at having the base of the bracket be 3" wide, the T rising 1" and be 32" long. I'm not entirely sure what thickness as I don't have a Weaver bracket to measure (yet). Anyone using weavers and have a micrometer handy? I'm thinking of using their regular quick release brackets for the end. I'd use the winch mount, with the U cut through, for the other end. That'd let me slide the bracket in from the stern to the transom. Sound like a reasonable scheme?

So my next step is to find someone that can quote me a price on fabricating the T bracket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:21 pm 
wkearney99

I hear you regarding the 'least hassle' path. If I go with verticals I have to move the grill mount as the tilted dinghy would hit it. So I'm probably going to go with a garelick table mount socket in the platform and put the grill on a pedestal. I saw a roller-type dinghy system (seacure-it) that offered a grill pedestal for use when the roller was removed. Their overall system was WAY too expensive but the pedestal idea is one I've been considering for a while. I've just been loathe to go smacking a hole in the otherwise nicely sealed swim platform.

But after a summer of using the grill I'm more inclined to use something that's not over gelcoat. Doing burgers for six people makes a LOT of grease and you really don't want that dripping too many places. With a pedestal I'd at least be able to use a mat beneath it to catch whatever might drip. And I'd put the pedestal on the starboard side to be close to the washdown shower. I just have to get up the nerve to go hacking a hole in the platform...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:08 am 
wkearney99

I just saw Joe's setup last night. VERY nicely done! His tips on the little extras were really helpful.

His 298 has much better storage in the transom locker than our 348. The locker on the 298 extends deep into the starboard side and that's where he's got the outboard stowed. Since the 348 tilts the transom up as part of the engine hatch there isn't the same sort of storage place. If I removed the shelf in the 348's locker I might be able to wedge the engine in there but at the loss of stowing various fenders. I'll have to juggle what goes where to see if I can manage it.

I do like the quality of the weaver fittings. They make a pretty secure fit for holding the dinghy. Since the swim platform is high he needed to use extended brackets. This means the dinghy isn't mounted 'on' the platform so much as it's 'behind and below' the aft edge. This means there's plenty of room on the platform itself. This would be a good place to put one of Weaver's MotoSto brackets to mount the outboard horizontally on the platform. Joe doesn't need this, of course, but I might consider it. I mentioned to Joe that Weaver also makes a bracket that extends from the pad on the dinghy up to it's transom to help shift weight off the lower pontoon. I'd certainly consider one if just to keep pressure off the pontoon, with or without an engine tilt.

My real question remains 'horizontal or vertical'? layout. I'm still leaning toward horizontal storage because of not having to stow the engine. But I'm not entirely sure about whether the engine being on there constantly will be all that secure either. I'd certainly mount the dinghy 'offset' somewhat to balance the weight. But a 55lb engine clamped to the transom of an inflatable isn't going to be 'rigidly mounted' either. It'd be better than a vertical transom tilt even with the transom arm but I'm not sure by how much. The most secure seems to be the vertical type that shifts then engine on to winch pedestal. But even than has it's issues with the weight being up on a pole. It really does seem like stowing the engine is going to be requried either way.

If we used the dinghy "constantly" then having it on a horizontal setup would be quicker to use. Especially if I have to stow the outboard in the engine compartment. The time to lift the hatch, pull the motor, close the hatch, mount the motor, etc, isn't trivial and risks banging the prop on gelcoat and vinyl seats.

Arrrgh, decisions, decisions!

Post subject: Re: dinghy mounts?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:31 pm 
Minnow

OK, so after reading your post regarding the inflatables. we have the 268 Vista. So what size tender does all the other 268 owners use? We are lift kept and private dock. I am trying to figure out the tender along with the best placement for the grill come spring. Our cat walk/finger pier is on the left side so this works out great since the walk through on the left as well. I grew up on boats that you got on and off on the side of the boat not the stern.
Open for any suggestions
Thanks

2007 Sea Doo GTI

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:51 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I tried a 10.5' Newport Vessels when I had my 268 and it was too big.

Sold that and got a 8.5' air floor Baltik but didn't use it with the 268. My 318 has a set of Weaver Davits I'm going to modify so I can keep the Baltik horizontal and leave the motor/fuel tank in it, versus flipping it up.

I had a 7.5' hard floor Achillies when I bought the 318, but it was just too small so I sold it off. Here's how it was mounted up with the Weaver Davits.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:38 pm 
email admin your custom rank

We trailer our 268 each weekend and inflate the dinghy most weekends. We use a cargo strap to secure it to the back of the boat on the swim platform and it stays in place well at cruise. Having it on the swim platform or on davits can still restrict boarding access from the dock or from the swim ladder.

We got a West Marine (Zodiac) 8' 6" RU3 roll up with the slatted floor. It is simple to set up or stow. It weighs approx. 50 pounds and is easy enough to lift or handle. At times it would be nice to have a hard floor (and I still may add this), but that adds weight and set up time.

Look at the specs for the dinghies you consider and make sure it will haul the load and work for you. I've only seen pictures of a couple 268s with davits, but it would be a good way to go in some situations. Carrying the dinghy on davits does add size and length to your boat. Dinghies longer than 8' 6" will make docking more challenging and possibly increase the likelihood of dinghy damage.

Grill mounting can be on the back end of the port gunwhale (round Magma grill), on the back center hand rail, or on a pedestal on the swim platform. Mine is a Magma Newport IR grill on a pedestal on the rear port side corner of the swim platform. Any location can present certain concerns for camper top or dinghy contact with a hot grill, grease, or other hazards.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon