www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:37 am 
ShanMan

I made that up, of course. :D Partially-Winterize

We live in Northern Alabama where the winters are very mild. We can go boating year-round and we intend to do that. However, I have some questions.

It DOES get below freezing in this region, albeit not very long or frequently; but it does happen. We wet slip (covered) our 278 and intend to leave it in year-round so we may use it year round.

I'm concerned about freezing in the water system and other systems. The "refreshment center" up top seems most vulnerable since the water lines are small and it's outside. And the engine compartment, it will be in the water so is it susceptible to freezing? What if I run my heater year-round?

The usability of this boat without water/head is greatly diminished if I need to flush anti-freeze through the whole thing. What should I do?

http://vista278.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:36 am 
wkearney99

What about the water lines on the dock? Is the marina going to be shutting them off?

You could do something like add an extra valve or two to isolate the cockpit sink from the rest of the system. The hosts are just 15mm plastic and an in-line shut-off valve is around $20. Then blow out the system using compressed air through the transom shore water connection (they sell fittings for this). Once the air is out you could then close the valve(s) to isolate those sections.

As for on-board heaters, you're at the mercy of reliable electricity. If dock power goes out (accidentally or otherwise) you lose heat. Systems like Sea-Key can monitor for this, but they incur a monthly fee. If you go with a heater, get one designed for marine use. You don't want some home space heater to act up and torch your boat.

But, most importantly, what does your insurance policy have to say about winterization? Some are VERY specific about when and how the boat must be winterized. Convenience isn't worth much if it means having no coverage.

Personally I'd just go without using the freshwater system until winter's over. But then you're still at risk of having the engine cooling system freeze.

What are other folks in your area doing?