www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:03 pm 
Whatever

Just got back from lake powell, took our little honda EU 2000 gen set to hook up shore power to. When hooked up and get set on, all in breaker pannel off, red reverse polarity light is on. But if I flip on the main breaker, it goes off and stays off even if I flip all breakers to on except the friger/charger.

What is reverse polarity? How can it be good with one breaker on and not with another? Am I missing something when hooking the gen set up?

I guess I should have tested before heading out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:33 pm 
Dolphin

Quote:
What is reverse polarity?

Reverse polarity happens when the 120v power source that you connect to your shore power has the hot and neutral wires reversed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:01 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

Powell,

It's normal with the EU2000i or any "inverter" generator. It's not a true reverse polarity condition. I've researched it... I've emailed Guest (manufacturer of the battery charger) and asked about this numerous places on line. What happens is that the Honda is not earth grounded and will sometimes float the ground at more than +12 Volts (as much as +60 volts from what I've heard) it's not that the polarity is reversed, it's just that at times there may be current on the neutral and in a perfect world there wouldn't be, but there is no way to truly earth ground the generator.

So PLEASE just be careful when using the generator.. No bare feet on wet swim platforms with the generator running... And you should pick up a GFIC device at Home Depot or Lowes that plugs into the generator and then into the shorepower just to make sure you are protected at the power outlet of the generator.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:10 pm 
Whatever

Excellent!!!

Thanks for the reply Brett. I was hoping it was as simple as that!! Will put part on shopping list. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:43 am 
Guppy

powellcrazy

I see the exact issue with my Honda EU2000i running my 265 Vista. (same lake!) I have A/C and the Honda will run it just fine. It will not, however, run the fridge or battery charger. I have yet to check out the power requirements for them. Maybe the Honda doesn't have enough "juice" for the fridge/charger...?

What electronic components are you running with your Honda?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:38 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

Curoy,

Check the specs of your AC, Fridge and Charger. I am running a 5K BTU Cruiseair AC, 20 Amp Guest Dual Bank Charger and a Norcold refrigerator all off of my 2000i, all at the same time.

If your ac is 8K or 10K or your charger is 30 Amp then I could see where the problem would be.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:38 pm 
Whatever

It sounds like my boat is equiped the same as Bretts. I have no problem running everything at the same time with the EU2000. This boat is a piece of cake compaired to our 35' 5th, with that I need 2 honda EU2000 to run everything. Love these little hondas.

curoy, which marina do you launch from, favorite canyons, camp spots.

We usually go to bullfrog, and go down to cottonwood canyon and then explore from there.