www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mounting Davit system
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:17 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Anyone mount anything on the vertical part of their transom on an integrated platform? My 258 has a few inches above the rub rail but is like a 45 degree angle. I am thinking about a davit system but I would prefer not mounting the brackets on the top so we don't get any black and blue toes or tripping hazards. This is a winter project and I will probably be making the davits myself as I don't like the price tag of the store bought ones but that's another thread.
I don't know if I can thru bolt there. I am 6'2" and not light so getting in the back of the engine compartment is not on my desirable list.
Tried attaching a pic:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56913087/258.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:05 am 
Minnow

I was thinking that having the davit plates would be a tripping hazard too, but after one year of having them I found it not to be a problem.
I purchased the flat plate (with removable davits) and attached them to the swim platform on my 1996 258 Vista. They are flat enough that you won't stub your toes.. I like the removable style since I don't keep my dinghy on it all the time.. I had to go with custom bended davits to reach out then down to meet the yokes on the dinghy. Yeah they are expensive, but very well worth it... Just motor up to them and clip on. Great in rough waters.
Do you have enough room (and spread distance) to mount them far apart? You want to center the dinghy when folded up. The bows on the dinghy's cure so the davits are not installed equal distance from center of the Vista.. just keep that in mind when laying them out.

John

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 am 
Dolphin

Location: Sweden, Northern Europe, close to the arctic circle
I had similar thoughts.

In the end I rigged a simple system with 3/8" ropes that slips around the dinghy in the water, through the handle loops and then cinch tight. These loops are then attached to two ropes that are fastened in the tie down loops below the platform and up and over into the cleats. That keeps it in place and just flips up. A T made of stainless keeps it at the right angle, attached to the transom wall with a small bracket and clip. Very stable and nothing to bruise toes on. Yes it takes 1min extra to attach the dinghy maybe but cost was literally near 0.

Boat is in winter storage so tough to take pics but I could draw the system in principle if needed?

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:33 am 
All Night Long

Weaver Davits with the removable plate. Mount them at the end of the platform and you can get them with extensions out over the back of the platform. You will be toe buster free. Use a light weight inflatable like an air floor.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:35 am 

We use the weaver Davits system on our. We have the flat plates with the removable heads. In the 3 summers we have had the boat we are free from anyone jamming there toes on them, that is including my now 5-7yrs old kids. If you go directly to the weaver website you may find they are a little cheaper. They will ship directly to you (USA) on. I had a my stuff shipped to the Canada US border and had to pick it up.
I would not feel comfortable mounting how you want. That's a bit of weight sitting there and then add some choppy seas and it may be a bad situation

1997 225 Sundowner

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:01 pm 

Weaver Davits were on mine when I bought it. I have yet to use it, but do not find the heads on the swim platform obtrusive. I've thought about removing them but haven't found a reason to. I have all the hardware, but sold the dinghy that was with the boat, as well as another dinghy I had.

Best option out there IMHO. Here's some pics.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:38 am 

Thanks for all the input. It sounds like toe stubbing is not really an issue and I am just over thinking this. I can't get myself to pay the crazy prices for 3 pieces of metal for those weaver davits. I am copying a friend of mines system that I like better. No need to glue that patch and it will cost me a fraction of the price that I can use for the tow tube as well. It is a great winter project in those snowy months.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:58 am 
All Night Long

babbot1 wrote:
Thanks for all the input. It sounds like toe stubbing is not really an issue and I am just over thinking this. I can't get myself to pay the crazy prices for 3 pieces of metal for those weaver davits. I am copying a friend of mines system that I like better. No need to glue that patch and it will cost me a fraction of the price that I can use for the tow tube as well. It is a great winter project in those snowy months.

Make sure whatever your friend did doesn't compromise the integrity of the dinghy. Handles and ropes on a dinghy are not meant to support full weight under rough seas conditions (may not be an issue for you).

The weaver system, all things considered, is very price friendly considering other options. That being said, no, it's not cheap. Nothing with a boat is cheap.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:39 pm 

For the longest time I was determined to mount Weaver davit shoes on the vertical edge. In the end I just put them where they are intended to go and much like others have said, no one has tripped on them yet. I wanted to have the dinghy horizontal on the swim platform so I had custom stainless plates made that slide into the shoes, then fabricated pivoting arms out of Starboard, molded to match the bottom of the dinghy. Works pretty well, looks good, and didn't cost $1200+.

This is how the dinghy sits (with inflatables piled on top):

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:56 pm 

weather, that looks like a nice setup and you can see over it. I don't have that much room on my swim platform because there needs to be room to walk across it to get to dock on the starboard side.
cougarcruiser, not to worry. The davits are C style davits that were manufactured but someone broke them because they were plastic. The guy who broke them is a mechanic so he fabricated new ones out of metal and they are very nice and sturdy. I like the C style so I don't have to glue the weaver pad on and not be able to use it for anything but that specific dinghy. I see the benefits of the weavers and I know all marine stuff is expensive but I have always been one that will first do it myself if I have time no matter what it is.
I know this topic is beat to death online but there is always something unique about what I want to do, not just with this. That's one of the reasons I tend to make things for myself.