www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:55 pm 
Shark

2007 278 Vista

I am installing a TV antenna up on the top of the arch to get better reception (the antenna connected to the bow rails is just not getting the job done where I am and where we boat). There is an extra flat spot there so I used it on the inboard passenger side of the anchor light.

I have mounted the antenna on top of the arch and thru bolted (getting to the back was not easy but managed to get it done by taping the washer onto and the nut into a box end wrench).

Now for fishing the wire down the arch. I slid the cable down the arch but it never came out the bottom into the cavity along the drivers side of the seats. And there is basically no access back up in there. Can't even see the bottom of the arch to know how it is really mounted.

So I pulled the ice chest area on the passenger side to look up and saw that it is bolted with 5 large bolts and there is not even an access hole on the passenger side.

Wandering if they just drilled a small hole and ran all the cables before they ever installed.

My only idea at this point is to tie a fish to the GPS antenna cable and pull it back up to the top of the arch giving me a fish. Then tie the new cable, exiting GPS cable, and probably an extra string to use later if needed to the fish and pull it all back down. My concern is if the hole is too small to get all the wires thru I may never get it to work to include getting the GPS cable back thru.

Anyone seen the actual access hole to know how big and where it is?
Anyone got a better idea since I already have the antenna mounted on top of the arch?

Thanks,

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:56 am 
Shark

Was doing some more thinking and there may be just enough extra GPS antenna cable to pull all the slack back up the arch, tape the antenna cable to it and pull back down enough to reach thru the fuze panel (removed to gain access).
This would prevent me from having to remove the dash to get to the GPS cable end and hopefully not end up with it stuck or not get it back down either.

It has turned cold again here and I have other things this weekend so will try this early next week.

But any other suggestions are welcome.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:28 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Sounds like you have a pretty good plan. I can't think of a better way to do it.
Gary

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:56 pm 

Not positive on a 278, but on our 03 268 there was an access hole behind the seat back on the starboard side. Should be right about under the arch connection.

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:02 pm 
Shark

Nothing there on mine for access that I have found. I even pulled the storage opening under the drivers seat and there is a small about 2" hole for the sub and amp wires. That is it.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:19 pm 

TheDanceII wrote:
2007 278 Vista

Anyone seen the actual access hole to know how big and where it is?
Anyone got a better idea since I already have the antenna mounted on top of the arch?

Thanks,

Well it's been a while since I installed LED lights in my arch but if I recall correctly I used a thin fish tape and went up from the fuse block right below the helm and was able to get up through the access hole from there. I don't recall it being that difficult but I did purchase a lighter fish tape specifically for the purpose of getting the wires through. After I was done someone posted about removing the seat and being able to get access that way. I had already run the wires so I didn't pursue that option.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:37 pm 
Goldfish

I have a 2009 278v and I was able to run a new wire from the arch to the helm.
I removed the ice chest and the fibreglass insert. Once you have this out I was able to see the arch where it was bolted to the hull and there was a 2 inch access hole along side the bolts. Next I opened up the plastic access plug on the underside of the arch ( 4 inch hatch under the top of the arch ). Next i used a steel fish tape and fished from the cooler area up to the access hatch at the top of the arch. I was able to pull a new wire down through the arch and into the engine area. Next I removed the fuse panel located next to the drivers seat and using the fish tape was able to fish back to the engine compartment and pull the wire up into the helm. I clipped the new wire in the engine compartment along the fire wall . Was very easy to do once I gave up on trying to fish a wire down on the helm side of the arch. . Hope this helps

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:26 pm 
Shark

I removed the cooler area on the passenger side and found that there was not a hole on that side at all on mine. No wires coming down on that side.

Also, there is no access behind the drivers seat.

I am hoping once it warms up a little that I can use the existing GPS cable and make it work.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:34 am 

The whole rear seat back just lifts out on my 2009 278. That give access via a decent cut out section to the lower arch on the starboard side..

When I fitted the GPS and VHF antennae on mine, I disconnected the all white nav light ( a screw in hatch on the underside of the arch gives access). Attached a 2 lengths of thin cord ( one end of them tied to the wheel, so they couldn't be accidentally pulled all the way through!) and pulled the nav light cables/ cords to the lower access hole. I then attached all the extra required cables to one cord, pulled them through and down the arch. Finally, pulling the nav light cable back up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:41 pm 
Shark

There was enough extra GPS cable to tie to and pull.
There is no other access on mine
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:17 pm 

re rear seat back, I did not mean the rear of the drivers seat. I'll take a photo next time I visit my boat. The access cutout is pretty generous.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:39 am 
Shark

My rear seat back does not move. Not sure how it comes off. But there is still the cup holder box on the corner that I assume I would have to remove. I would like to figure out how to get the back off of the rear facing seat. If you could post a pic with it off that would show me the mounting.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:26 pm 

It'll be at least 10 days before I could take a photo I'm afraid.

The whole rear section seat backs plus the bit with the cup holders between them just lifts up as one piece; there are brackets that just locate in holes in the fibreglass. No screws, at least on my 2009 boat.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:34 am 
Minnow

FWIW, 2007 278 Vista, rear seat, back to the captains seat, need to remove screws from inside the under seat locker. There may have been a few more screws as well, but the rear seat upper half will lift up off of a one or two clips once screws are removed. There is an access hole, not far from the cup holder location. Had a 1 or 2' inch hole at the base where radar arch was attached. GPS antenna and anchor light wiring were routed through this hole. Fed a 12awg wire upward toward the access plate at top inside of radar arch. Pulled new wire up along with a pull string in case I ever need to do it again. Installed a nice dimming 12v Lumitec Aurora Led Dome Light. I do remember accessing behind the 12v fuse panel but think that was just to power the light and not necessary to feed the cable.