www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:41 pm 
Shark

So, still getting familiar with the 378, this past weekend was really the first time running the genny for more than 3-4 hours. Tried to run it all night, but after about 6-7 hours, it would bog down and die. It would restart and run for 10-15 min and then die again. It sounded like it was surging and starving for fuel.
The water exhaust discharge was normal, water was just warm.
Got back to the slip and checked all normal suspects, sensors, plugs, oil etc. Everything looked good. Genny has just under 300 hrs.
There is an external fuel water separator/filter mounted about 12" above the genny on the bulkhead. Changed the filter, noticed that it was only about 1/2 full.
Reading the Kohler installation manual, states that no additional filters are required, other than the small inline.
So, I have bypassed the external fuel/water filter and it seems to be running a lot better. Only been able to run for about 3 hrs straight, but fingers crossed. Much smoother. Starts faster.
So, I'm guessing prior owner must have installed the external filter?
I've ordered a new fuel pump, but might just keep it on hand if it starts to run rough again. Will still probably change the anti-siphon valve.
Anything else I'm missing here?
Does anyone else have the external fuel water separator?
thanks,

Nashville, TN
Current
04 Hustler Cheetah
06 Seadoo sportster 150
Past
06 378 vista
328 vista
240 horizon
21' glastron
20' celebrity

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:07 am 
email admin your custom rank

That's a Four Winns installed filter. Have it on my 328 as well. Had a similar issue, changed the filter, and the issue went away.. Good luck!

2004 Four Winns 328 Vista
1997 Larson Cabrio 290 - sold
1988 Rinker Fiesta Vee 248 - sold

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:05 am 

I had similar "starving for fuel" issues and my tech had to adjust the anti-siphon valve and then replaced the fuel pump for good measure. I have not had that issue ever since.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:00 pm 
Shark

Generator issues continue. So, far I've had a tech come out twice with no success. New Kohler tech coming next week, hopefully.
It's been a challenge just to get someone to show up when they are scheduled. "hey, sorry I couldn't make it 2 days ago, but I can come next wed". Argghh.

So far, replaced plugs, fuel pick up tube, anti siphon valve, fuel line, filter, pump and now new carb and choke.
It runs pretty well with no load, but once a load is applied, it will start to surge or hunt for fuel.
Before I replaced the pick up tube and anti siphon valve, I ran it on an external 5 gallon tank. It seemed to run fine, so I replaced the valve and pick up tube. Now it's back to doing the same thing. After all of the new parts, I'm going to run it again on a small 5 gallon tank to verify again.
I've read that Sea ray uses a fuel shut off valve instead of an anti-siphon valve, but I haven't confirmed that yet.

Nashville, TN
Current
04 Hustler Cheetah
06 Seadoo sportster 150
Past
06 378 vista
328 vista
240 horizon
21' glastron
20' celebrity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:49 am 
Minnow

Interestingly enough we'vejust return from 4 weeks vacation on the boat (378). Genny ran w/o problems up to the last few days...sure enough the hottest day of the vacation and genny acted-uo with symptoms identical as posted here. Wouls start and shut sown 5-10 min. later. Water intake filter cleaned but not too obstructed, will look into the fuel filter aspect this week. Will keep looking at this post for updates.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:29 am 

Touli wrote:
Interestingly enough we'vejust return from 4 weeks vacation on the boat (378). Genny ran w/o problems up to the last few days...sure enough the hottest day of the vacation and genny acted-uo with symptoms identical as posted here. Wouls start and shut sown 5-10 min. later. Water intake filter cleaned but not too obstructed, will look into the fuel filter aspect this week. Will keep looking at this post for updates.

First thing to change if you already haven't is the spark plugs. Even though it runs and doesn't miss the Kohlers really are tough on plugs. Mine would run fine for however long but when i would put a load on it, it wasn't long before it would shut down

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:17 am 
Shark

Merry Christmas folks!
We really weren't able to use the generator much this summer, but still enjoyed the boat a ton. Had a kohler tech come out a few times, but never came up with a solution. 2 times when he came out, it seemed to run pretty good, with and without a load. Finally we just stopped messing with it.
So, I have some extra time this week and thought I would revisit my Kohler problems.
It started up ok and ran for 10 min pretty smooth with no load. Kicked on marine heat and water heater and the hunting/surging started again. I guess I expected it to magically be fixed. No luck.
I replaced the pick up tube, anti siphon valve, new fuel line, fuel pump, filter, carb and choke this summer.
Today I tried to run it off of a 2 gallon gas can with a short fuel line, no anti siphon valve. Same thing, runs pretty smooth until the ac is flipped. I've replaced plugs twice. Even replaced the copper fuel line from the pump to the carb with a clear line and watched the fuel supply. Steady fuel flow. Flame arrester is currently removed, so no issue there. I've adjusted the choke a few times, but doesn't help the hunting. It starts easy.
Haven't had great results from mechanics coming out to the dock, so I'm thinking about pulling the damn thing out and taking to someone. Here fix this, it's a couple months until spring, so maybe I get it back before May??
Someone talk me out of pulling this thing out, not looking forward to it.
Funny thing is, the kohler on the 328 ran perfect for 8 yrs. I don't ever remember even replacing the plugs.
What am I missing...

Nashville, TN
Current
04 Hustler Cheetah
06 Seadoo sportster 150
Past
06 378 vista
328 vista
240 horizon
21' glastron
20' celebrity

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:33 am 
Shark

My guess is the carb needs to be removed, cleaned/rebuilt.
I would start with that.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:09 am 
Livin' the Dream

Lakebum wrote:
Generator issues continue. So, far I've had a tech come out twice with no success. New Kohler tech coming next week, hopefully.
It's been a challenge just to get someone to show up when they are scheduled. "hey, sorry I couldn't make it 2 days ago, but I can come next wed". Argghh.

So far, replaced plugs, fuel pick up tube, anti siphon valve, fuel line, filter, pump and now new carb and choke.
It runs pretty well with no load, but once a load is applied, it will start to surge or hunt for fuel.
Before I replaced the pick up tube and anti siphon valve, I ran it on an external 5 gallon tank. It seemed to run fine, so I replaced the valve and pick up tube. Now it's back to doing the same thing. After all of the new parts, I'm going to run it again on a small 5 gallon tank to verify again.
I've read that Sea ray uses a fuel shut off valve instead of an anti-siphon valve, but I haven't confirmed that yet.

Curious, was it a OEM carb? My experience with the Chinese aftermarket is very bad, most are junk.

Past
2002 268 Vista 5.7 GXI "Livin' the Dream"
1996 Rinker 192 Captiva. "The Simple Life"
1999 Yamaha XLL 1200 Waverunner.
1976 Mercury Marquis tri hull 120 hp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:09 pm 
Shark

I bought a Kohler oem from a Kohler distributor, but is actually made in Japan.
Mikuni makes the carbs for Kohler.
Since the engine is a Kawasaki, I guess that makes sense?

Nashville, TN
Current
04 Hustler Cheetah
06 Seadoo sportster 150
Past
06 378 vista
328 vista
240 horizon
21' glastron
20' celebrity

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:48 pm 
Livin' the Dream

Yes, that's correct, it's the aftermarket China made one that are junk.

let me make sure we understand, does it run fine on the separate 5 gal tank under load?

Past

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:14 am 
Shark

I really thought it was going to be something simple like the anti siphon valve sticking or filter. But after changing both, no difference.
It runs the same on separate gas can or the main tank. Runs pretty smooth until the ac is flipped, then starts to hunt or surge.
The larger the ac load, the more it surges. The voltage output is 126v when it starts to surge, it drops to about 120v. Still need to measure amps.
I've read about issues with the valves needing adjustment. I don't think they have ever been touched. Paint on engine looks untouched. Checked compression, 210 both cylinders.
I will say that generator access on the 378 is not bad, except for reaching the fuel pickup on the fuel tank, no blood has been shed, yet. The starboard muffler and exhaust lines need to be removed. Good time to change the engine plugs.

Nashville, TN
Current
04 Hustler Cheetah
06 Seadoo sportster 150
Past
06 378 vista
328 vista
240 horizon
21' glastron
20' celebrity

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:38 am 
Livin' the Dream

I was just going to say, check compression just to check it off...

Past

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:46 am 
Tadpole

I am wondering if this may have something to do with a dirty ,worn or misadjusted governor. Google Kohler governor adjustment for a good test procedure.
Wayne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:35 pm 
Minnow

I had a lot of problems with the gen on my 378 , it had 6 hours on it when I got it . like you had a few different techs come to work on it . Would run great at the dock with all loads put on it , but as I got on the hook the thing would die in 5 minutes . I think( bent) might on to something, I replaced my governor spring and adjusted my choke put some sea foam it and just run it with no load for hours and hours and it finally started running good ,and also removed the side sound shield and put inline muffler on , runs great and really very quiet now

I used to have a Rinker boat ,so I still troll that forum, they have a gen section, might be worth a look at