www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vista 288 Cruisair issue
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:32 am 
Sting Ray

Hi..

Looks like I will be buying a 2006 288. During the sea trial discovered the ac was not cooling. St Pete marine says the compressor is locked up, needs replacement due to non use. Boat has 270-280 hrs. Anyone had to replace the compressor that can share some info?

C

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:39 am 
email admin your custom rank

73Driver wrote:
Hi..

Looks like I will be buying a 2006 288. During the sea trial discovered the ac was not cooling. St Pete marine says the compressor is locked up, needs replacement due to non use. Boat has 270-280 hrs. Anyone had to replace the compressor that can share some info?

C

My question would be to who's expense?
Never heard of a compressor being locked up because of non use.
If it was on my dime i would get another opinion.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:59 pm 

Try putting a hard start kit on it

1997 225 Sundowner

Mike

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:21 pm 

Is water running thru the system?

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:29 pm 

73Driver wrote:
Hi..

Looks like I will be buying a 2006 288. During the sea trial discovered the ac was not cooling. St Pete marine says the compressor is locked up, needs replacement due to non use. Boat has 270-280 hrs. Anyone had to replace the compressor that can share some info?C

I have replaced a few compressors for friends, not because they were drawing locked rotor but because they were getting noisy. A compressor will not lock up due to little use.
You best bet if you have to pay for it would be to pull the unit out of the boat a take it to a local Air Conditioning shop. Probably cost you $500

1997 225 Sundowner

Mike

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:57 pm 
Sting Ray

Thanks.. I will take it out when I get the boat here.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:24 pm 
Clownfish

Hi 73Driver,

I would first double check to make sure that everything connected correctly. The AC only works when connected to shore power or the generator is running.

Shore power
Needs to be plugged in to the AC or air conditioning recepical. Breaker switch at AC recepical needs to switched on. The seacock for the AC needs to be open. Strainer needs to be clean. The thermostat needs to be set to cool or heat. The thermostat needs to be turned down to below room temp. The circulating fan should now be on. After a brief pause the water circulation pump should kick on and there should be a steady stream of discharge water from side of boat. Cool or warm air should now be coming out of vents. (Double check that there is not a AC breaker in the main panel. Doing this from memory.

If running on Generator
Disconnect shore power cord. (If at dock)
Start Generator. Switch the main slide breakers from shore power the generator. Now it is the same as above.

Try this first before you remove compressor. Not an easy job. Hopefully the boat comes with the owner's manual. Very helpful.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:46 pm 
Sting Ray

I have tried it and it blows warm air. seems compressor is locked up. I have the owners manual. Is there a manual for the boat itself for removing accessories like the AC, or the Aft cushions etc?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:42 pm 
Minnow

If the unit was ran with no cooling water going to it, it will shut down on high pressure. From memory, I believe there was a red reset button on the AC unit that you had to reset. Do you have this reset button, and if so tried re-setting it?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:55 pm 

If the system is working properly, you should see condensation on the piping between the air handler and compressor because of the cold refrigerant. Dry piping here could mean the system needs recharging. Not necessarily a compressor.
Pressure equals heat, so to cool the gas on the downstream side of the compressor it’s run through a raw-water-cooled condenser which returns the refrigerant to a liquid state. The colder the water, the more efficient the cooling, but most air conditioners will work fine to water temps into the 80-degree range.

Most systems have a safety reset switch that shuts off the compressor if the water flow is insufficient, which causes system pressure to increase beyond a preset limit. It could be that the safety switch has tripped and you need to check the water supply.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:44 pm 
Sting Ray

Thanks, I will check this when I return home. I did clean out the strainer and made sure the seacock was open.