www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2002 268 vista questions
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:03 pm 
Livin' the Dream

Bought it about 3 weeks ago, Brought it home finally just messing around and checking things out.
Here is a few questions

Am/fm radio doesn't find any stations, seems like the antenna is not hooked up or working properly. Pulled the unit, its def plugged into it. Curious where the fm antenna is actually installed at and if anyone has had issues like this....

DVD player works good, but no sound unless I plug external speakers into the head set jack on he player itself.... I don't see any speakers on the unit itself, doesn't look like it goes to the Sony cd/changer sound system.... how does this typically work?

What have you guys done for antennas now with the hd signals

Lastly, both co detectors are unplugged. Plugged them in and I got alarms on them, assuming they need to be replaced, looking for any history or lessons.... I searched for the DVD sound issue, didn't find anything of relevance, so I added the others to make my life simple :)

Thanks in advance!

Past
2002 268 Vista 5.7 GXI "Livin' the Dream"
1996 Rinker 192 Captiva. "The Simple Life"
1999 Yamaha XLL 1200 Waverunner.
1976 Mercury Marquis tri hull 120 hp

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:00 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Its my understanding that the AM/FM radio antenna is actually the windshield frame. Mine doesn't always do that well either, but usually it isn't too bad.

We had issues with our boat's original Sony AM/FM/CD player. It didn't always eject a CD. When you are out of radio reception range the same CD can get a little old after the first time through. We installed another Sony unit with "aux in", bluetooth, USB inputs, etc. Put your playlist on a USP stick and let it run for hours. Bluetooth your cell phone, plug in the audio from the TV, or??? We have not changed speakers or added an amp and sub yet, but we are looking at it. We are able to use the remote controller at the helm, but the display on the remote controller does not work.

An option on this boat was an Icom GPS. Back in 2002 the black and white GPS may have been something, but not now. If you have/had this, you will have an antenna mount beside the helm. If the antenna is no longer connected you could use the mount for a better antenna for the stereo.

HD antennas for TV are available, but look at where you will be boating or planning to watch TV. The broadcast signal may not always be strong enough to pick up with some antennas, especially if you are in a valley. We bring a collection of movies.

The Carbon Monoxide detectors are a type that replacement is recommended after several years. The current CO detector is slightly different, and I am not sure if they are a direct replacement. The cost is something like $90 or so each. Some people feel it might be more logical to buy a couple household units, maybe battery powered, for less than the cost of one replacement unit.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:01 pm 
Livin' the Dream

Great info surface, thank you! Do you have the factory 10" drop down LCD screen with the DVD player mounted on the shelf? I can't figure out how to get the sound for it. The previous owner said it was through the the fm stereo some where around 88, which would make sense, because I am not able to get anything on the fm dial

Thank you for your detailed response. I think I will look for the battery co units to replace these....
Probably right, our lake sits in a hole with hills and trees around, probably won't get much signal, it I can get the DVD sound right....

I have the cd changer option , thinking of getting an adapter to use that input for an aux in....

Past

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:28 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Our 268 did not have the TV/DVD option. We put a 24 inch TV where the mirror is in front of the cabin. The mirror can be removed by lifting it straight up. We made a mount to hook on the same mounts the mirror uses. I put a 110V outlet under the left upper shelf near the front end. We connected a Blue Ray player that we put on the left top shelf.

The CO/smoke/fire detectors at your local home store have more features and sensitivity than the OEM parts and are approx $30. You will just have to decide how to mount them.

Hope this all helps.

Gary

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:34 am 
Livin' the Dream

Thanks again Gary, I think I am going to buy an antenna and plug it into the radio and see if that does it.... it's almost like there is a powered amplifier for the radio and it's not powered.... then maybe the DVD sound will pick up? It's a little odd, but not a big deal. I appreciate all your help, I am like a kid at Christmas that got the gift he prayed for :)

Past

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:58 am 
Livin' the Dream

Update:
The factory DVD is setup with an fm modulator (like the previous owner said) on 88.3 on the fm dial :)

Bought an aftermarket antenna for the radio, still nothing, it's like the receiver went out? am1and 2 and all 2 of the fm tuners produce nothing, not even static, which is odd......

new questions what is the "statpower" with the "inverter on" indicating light and the remote switch button on it.... this is located behind the tinted hinged cover by the main shore power panel

Thank you!

Past

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:30 pm 
Clownfish

Here is something to try. My boating friend had a issue this summer with the stereo not working and was going to replace at Best Buy. The guy asked if he had pressed the rerset yet. It was under the case or hidden. He reset the unit and it worked.

Something to try if it has a rest button. May need to Google location of the button.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:52 am 
Livin' the Dream

FireCapt6 wrote:
Here is something to try. My boating friend had a issue this summer with the stereo not working and was going to replace at Best Buy. The guy asked if he had pressed the rerset yet. It was under the case or hidden. He reset the unit and it worked.

Something to try if it has a rest button. May need to Google location of the button.

I had this same thought on Saturday night, no luck :(. I really thought that was going to do it too! I really will never use the radio tuner, except to play the sound of a DVD through the factory installed unit....

I feel I am going to just replace the unit all together now and move on to the new technology.... thanks for the input firecapt6

Past