www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Outdrive won't trim up
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:59 pm 
Seahorse

This just happened this past weekend. 2000 268. Got to an anchorage and went to trim up the outdrive. Nothing. It trims down just fine. A couple hours later, it trimmed up just fine, so it's obviously an intermittent problem, or signal that something is going bad. Thoughts? Thinking trim button at helm gear shift, a bad solenoid or relay at the pump, or sending unit on the outdrive itself. Thank in advance! Dave

Last edited by Partner Ship on Wed May 31, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:16 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Does it trim up when the drive is in neutral (I.e. tilt mode)? I've had the sensor go on my mercruiser and it prevented the drive from trimming up when in operation. It would only rise in tilt / trailer mode when the drive was in neutral and the engine off (or with separate tilt circuit if equipped). It could also be the wires going to the trim sensor are damaged and only working intermittently.

5.0L Mercruiser, Alpha 1

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:07 pm 
Seahorse

Vintage Beauty wrote:
Does it trim up when the drive is in neutral (I.e. tilt mode)? I've had the sensor go on my mercruiser and it prevented the drive from trimming up when in operation. It would only rise in tilt / trailer mode when the drive was in neutral and the engine off (or with separate tilt circuit if equipped). It could also be the wires going to the trim sensor are damaged and only working intermittently.

It didn't trim up in either forward gear or neutral. It doesn't have a trailer up function.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:13 pm 
Seahorse

Have a look at the connector block next to the pump motor. Mine sometimes would not work, and the connector contacts were slightly corroded. The block has three spades/sockets in it, so on your case maybe the one which powers the leg up (if I remember your post - can't see it as I write) is dirty? Worth a look.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:25 pm 
email admin your custom rank

The trim system draws a lot of current and therefore is very sensitive to corroded connections. Start with the battery clamps, connection at the starter, and ground straps. Make sure they are all clean and tight. Then move to the connections at the trim relays. Once in a while you will have a problem with wires breaking inside the throttle control, or grounding out against the inside of the control because the insulation rubbed through. Green=down, blue=up, as far as that wiring.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II