www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:54 pm 
Tadpole

I am new to the forum and I'm currently in the process of buying a 2005 248 vista and just had the survey completed. The only major issue from the survey was a couple of spots of elevated moisture on the bow near the windlass and the hatch. When I was shown the meter it seemed to alarm in the middle to mid high side of the meter. A sounding test was performed and I was told everything sounded solid. It was only in a few select spots so I plan on getting a quote and renegotiating but I wanted to see if anyone on this forum had any experiences with issues like this or advice. I believe I am getting a pretty good deal on the boat for the hours and overall condition but I wanted to make sure this isn't a deal breaker.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:51 am 
email admin your custom rank

If that's all you can find wrong on a 12 year old boat, I would be worried about renegotiating!

Sound pretty harmless (although I'm from South Florida where we don't have freeze cycles). Just re-seal the hatch and seal the screws around the hatch and windlass (remove each screw, inject some silicone RTV or similar, replace screw).

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:30 pm 
email admin your custom rank

rpengr wrote:
If that's all you can find wrong on a 12 year old boat, I would be worried about renegotiating!

Sound pretty harmless (although I'm from South Florida where we don't have freeze cycles). Just re-seal the hatch and seal the screws around the hatch and windlass (remove each screw, inject some silicone RTV or similar, replace screw).

+1. rebedding the deck hardware is maintenance that gets skipped on many boats so there's a good chance this will pop up on a lot of boats you look at in that age bracket. If it sounded solid like the surveyor said then I would consider it deferred maintenance instead of a major defect worth renegotiating.Good Luck and welcome to the forum!

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon
1973 Startcraft 18ft "Sea Pickle"