www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boat Washing
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:08 pm 
Minnow

The dealer picked my 2004 268 up this week to fix/replace the frig. when I stopped by the dealership to see how they were progressing I was surprised how dirty the boat looked after being in the water less than 4 weeks.
I wonder what everyone else uses to clean the hull of the boat?

Thanks,

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:56 am 
268 Vista

Starbrite Hull Cleaner has always worked for me over the years. If you have your boat in a slip, you really should have it bottom painted. The boat will last much longer.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Post subject: Boat Washing
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:53 pm 
Minnow

Thanks I guess I should have mentioned I do have it bottom painted, in fact I had it re-painted before I took delivery.

My boat is the dark blue and it just seems to show the lake grime.

Post subject: Bottom Painting
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:38 am 
email admin your custom rank

Is there a general rule on when to bottom paint or not to? My 238 Vista is 7 years old and was on the lake only in the summer months, maybe 5 months at a time tops, always at a slip.

1995 Four Winns Horizon 190
OMC 5.0 RL

Post subject: Bottom Paint
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:18 pm 
Minnow

Alex I don't know what the rule is as I am new to all this but I have been told if the boat will be in the water for extended periods you need to have bottom paint to protect the boat.
I have my boat in a slip and don't plan on moving it. I am not sure what extended periods of time means as far as how many days etc. but I am sure some of the more experienced boaters will give you a better answer.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:02 pm 
Shark

In addition to keeping algae growth in check, bottom paint will help prevent blistering under the gel coat. I have read that this is not as big an issue on newer boats due to improved manufacturing technology. None the less if it is going to be in the water more than a week or two at a time I would go with bottom paint.

Previous Boat:
97 278 Vista - Buoy Howdy

Post subject: no bottom paint here...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:32 pm 
Minnow

....4 years my 268 has spent most of May to Sept in a slip in Lake Ontario. No bottom paint. It gets cleaned once mid season and at the end of the season. It is a little stained up close, but at 15' looks brand new. I assume Mary kate on/off or something like that would make it white again.

I think freshwater and cold water is less of a threat than warm salt water. I see a lot of boats around here in the water all summer with no bottom paint. A lot of those with bottom paint often lament that they wish they never had.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:44 am 
Minnow

I think it depends depends on where the boat is kept. Up in MN, most open bows and boats under 22' or so, don't get bottom painted. Anything bigger than that usually gets painted. We get some green slime but it's more of a cosmetic thing than an issue of actual growth on the bottom. A friend from Texas bought a 21' boat last year and chose not to bottom paint since he knew he was moving back to MN this year. I couldn't believe the growth on the bottom of his boat. He said he had lost about 10 MPH over the course of the season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:51 pm 
Guppy

Does anyone have anhy experience with the resale of a boat with bottom paint. I recently purchased a new 318 Vista and just can't come to grips with sanding the bottom of the boat for the bottom paint. I usually have all of my boats on lifts. I will more that likely get lift next spring after recovering from buying the boat. I am now spending about an hour every Friday evening underneath the boat while it is sitting in the slip so the bottom paint thing is sounding pretty good. I have just heard that boats with bottom paint seem to sell for less that boats without. Any thoughts? By the way, this is my first Four Winns. I am a converted Crownie after owning two of them prior to this 318. And I'll have to say,, I don't miss my Crownline very often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:58 pm 
Seahorse

I know a few that have used a wax on the bottom instead of paint. It is a special bottom wax. I know West Marine sells it. My co-worker friend has used it for over 10 years and he really likes it. Another friend just started useing it this year so it is too soon to tell.

This way the boat looks good and easy to get back to stock if you want to.