www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:06 am 
Hello all, i hope to become an active member here soon

I'm in the process of looking at 248s, the 2nd one tomorrow. The 1st was a bit of a dog so that's off the list already!

Could anyone give any specific pointers of common faults/watch-outs?

The boat in Question is a 2005 model with Volvo 5.0 litre GXI with duo prop drive with stainless steel props - hours 239. I've been told an extensive service has just been completed.

It's advertised at 28K UK pounds. Looking to chip that down a bit. It doesn't have a trailer so need to factor that in.

Apparently there is a discount offer for a berth, not sure what that is yet but my other option is to carry on with the model i currently use for launch.

My current boat lives on a trailer in the boat yard and I launch off the back of my Land Rover.

I've doing this for years with my 6m rib & it makes cheap boating but take on board the 248 is a different animal - would like to hear peoples thoughts on this as well if you have any.

Any advice greatly received!

Thanks

Nicksten

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:59 am 
email admin your custom rank

No matter what you do get a marine survey by a reputable independent company/person and sea trial it with the surveyor before you finalize the deal! Its worth the extra $$.

I had a 258 with a Volvo 5.7 which is similar and it was adequately powered. The 5.0 may be under powered, maybe someone else on here with that combination can post their experience. The duo props are awesome btw...
The electrical wiring is usually the low point for these boats. If it was well taken care of most of the issues are probably already worked out but the Surveyor will help with that one. Also check for any cabin leaks like the anchor locker seeping under the v-berth.

Trailering is a little bit of a pain. I only trailered at the beginning and end of season. Its doable every trip but keep in mind it's a lot heavier than a similar length rib or even bowrider. I powered on and winched up the last few feet and had someone else drive the truck. I stayed on the boat to keep it straight when pulling up the ramp. It was hard to keep it centered on some ramps.

Good luck and welcome to the board!

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:05 am 

Unless you are stealing it dirt cheap I would find a 5.7. I’ve never driven one with a 5.0 but I wouldn’t want any less power than I have now. I concur with the wiring issue. I had to rewire my refrigerator and it was a pain.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:13 pm 
Goldfish

Regularly trailing will be a PITA. You'll regret not staying in the water.

I also agree that the 5.0 is very likely underpowered. I had the same experience that the 5.7 was just enough and even would not have minded a bit more. I personally would not consider one that didn't have the 5.7 with a dp drive. At that age, expect the fuel pump to be ready to quit. Check to see if it was replaced. If not, plan on a $1200 bill soon.

Then there's the price. I don't know what boats go for in the UK, but in the states, that's nearly double what the market here would bear.

previous:
2001 248 Vista

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:30 am 
Shark

jtkey wrote:
Then there's the price. I don't know what boats go for in the UK, but in the states, that's nearly double what the market here would bear.

Unfortunately that's probably not far off the mark price wise, boats seem to be a lot more expensive for us than for you guys over the pond! :(

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:28 pm 

I had a 245 Sundowner on a trailer; which was a heavy old beast to tow in the UK ( with the maximum 3,500 kg allowed; trailer, boat, spare wheel, fuel, gear etc). I'd check the weights very carefully. Mine had a SBS trailer; 3,000 kg capacity; 650 kg in itself. I think a 3,500 kg capacity one would have been better, but heavier in itself. Your 248 will be heavier than the 245 Sundowner ( cabin gear, toilet, calorifier etc).

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:26 am 
Thanks all for the comments, much appreciated. Sea trial now tomorrow afternoon, they had a fault with crankshaft sensor and due to bank holiday only being sorted today.

If all is well I'm going to go with a mooring as i can get a discounted offer for a year at a 1/3 of normal cost which will give me time to sort out one closer to home for next season.

I knocked 1K off the asking and got a 3 month warranty thrown in that i might extend if all is well tomorrow.

It hasn't got a windlass which i quite fancied to keep hassle to a minimum so will look at costs to getting one fitted

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:11 am 

Congrats. Good luck on the sea trail. I hope it performs as expected.
A windlass shouldn't be to bad, you have an extra 1k now :D . The wiring is probably the hardest part to run all the way up to the bow.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:20 am 
Jsyphil wrote:
jtkey wrote:

Unfortunately that's probably not far off the mark price wise, boats seem to be a lot more expensive for us than for you guys over the pond! :(

Yeah like most things - we pay thru the nose & have rubbish weather - its a double insult! :D