www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:39 pm 
Hi, I recently purchased a 2007 Vista 258. Still learning about the boat and it’s systems. One thing that seems out of the ordinary is the fact that the shower sump pump area seems to take in quite a bit of water. The sump pump compartment (box) stays dry, while the area around it gets wet. I checked all of the obvious culprits: sump pump box leak, shower drain hose, AC drain hose... checked for possible leaks from water pump and plumbing above that. Everything is dry. My first question is whether the bilge is connected with the area around the sump pump, i.e. can the water from the bilge get into the cabin sump pump area (but the sump pump box itself.). Thanks!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:27 am 
email admin your custom rank

My 2009 278 Vista lets fresh (rain) water into that forward bilge area. FW actually fitted a small bilge pump there. I've traced the leak to the back of the anchor locker not being sealed properly; a water stain clearly visible in the carpet in the forward under seat locker. It's on the "to do" list for this summer, when the boat is not in use.

A high water in that forward bilge area is potentially quite problematic; there is a multi pin "waterproof" connector in there (on the starboard side) which is not quite waterproof enough. At least there is on the 2009 278 !

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:58 am 

I started taking things apart in the cabin today. The mirror just lifts upwards, revealing a 10" diameter screw in hatch in the back of the anchor locker. The cabin liner prevents access to the bottom of the anchor locker from within the cabin.

Next step; remove the chain and rope, to have a good look. I'll reseal the locker, might drill a new drain as well ( on my Sundowner, the drains were several inches above the lowest point in the locker !)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:53 am 

I had this problem on the 2008 258. Its the anchor locker. You have to build up the base of the locker so the bottom lines up with the drains. It's a terrible design. On our current boat I have plastic strainers, cheap ones you can get for the kitchen, and put them under the anchor rode so the water drains better.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:20 pm 

I discovered the carpet under the seat cushions at the bow is stained and wet and but could not detect where it was coming from. Used litmus paper on the wet carpet and compared it to litmus paper dipped in the salt water and another one dipped in fresh water. Appears to be salt water. Thinking the trailering bow eye may be leaking because it is located right there under the carpet. After reading this post, may try running a hose in the anchor locker to see what happens.

Past:
1999 225 Sundowner
5.7 GSi SX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:28 am 

Guinnydog wrote:
I discovered the carpet under the seat cushions at the bow is stained and wet and but could not detect where it was coming from. Used litmus paper on the wet carpet and compared it to litmus paper dipped in the salt water and another one dipped in fresh water. Appears to be salt water. Thinking the trailering bow eye may be leaking because it is located right there under the carpet. After reading this post, may try running a hose in the anchor locker to see what happens.

I would take that bet it's your anchor locker. That's exactly what was happening on mine.
I ripped all the carpet out and replaced it after I fixed the anchor locker. Once it gets wet it's hard to get the mold smell out.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:51 pm 

babbot1 wrote:
Guinnydog wrote:

I would take that bet it's your anchor locker. That's exactly what was happening on mine.
I ripped all the carpet out and replaced it after I fixed the anchor locker. Once it gets wet it's hard to get the mold smell out.

Well it appears you are correct. Did the garden hose test and sure enough, its the anchor locker. Pulled the anchor/chain/rode out, wiped and dried the locker. Left the access cover off in the cabin over night with a little heat and air flow on. Going down now to re-seal it. Thanks for the feedback.

Rod

Past:
1999 225 Sundowner
5.7 GSi SX