www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:57 pm 
Livin' the Dream

Having an odd odor, comes and goes. I have stuck my head in every hole. All dry, no odor.... Thinking I will Add a filter to the holding tank. Who has done it, any recommendations? Thanks in advance

Past
2002 268 Vista 5.7 GXI "Livin' the Dream"
1996 Rinker 192 Captiva. "The Simple Life"
1999 Yamaha XLL 1200 Waverunner.
1976 Mercury Marquis tri hull 120 hp

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:21 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Hi Chris. If you are talking about the black water(toilet) holding tank, we use a holding tank treatment after each pump out, Another suggestion is to use a cup of powdered laundry detergent with the tank treatment after each pump out.

If you are talking about the fresh water tank, the Four Winns owner's manual talks about flushing the fresh water system, then using a bleach solution, flushing, then a vinegar solution, flush again, fill and use. If you are referring to using a filter, are you talking about a filter for the new fresh water that you add or an in-line filter after the pump?

Did you remove a grey water tank and was there any plumbing left behind?

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:15 am 
Livin' the Dream

Thanks Gary

On the black water holding tank. I use A treatment after every pumpout, this started recently. I can be Sittinginbyhe cockpit, or even just standing on the foredeck, everything is fine. Thenyou smell it, just for a few seconds, then it goes away. I stuck My head in the front bilge pump opening, under each of the seats for the dinette, foot locker etc..... We do not use our toilet much, And just for pee.... I am going to fill it with fresh water completely and get a pump out, then add treatment, and do it again and see if that helps....

Seems like the boats bigger than ours have a filter on the bent hose for the black tank to eliminate the smell from the black tank. Didn’t have this issue last year.... that I can Recall

Past

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:16 am 
Livin' the Dream

Thanks Gary

On the black water holding tank. I use A treatment after every pumpout, this started recently. I can be Sittinginbyhe cockpit, or even just standing on the foredeck, everything is fine. Thenyou smell it, just for a few seconds, then it goes away. I stuck My head in the front bilge pump opening, under each of the seats for the dinette, foot locker etc..... We do not use our toilet much, And just for pee.... I am going to fill it with fresh water completely and get a pump out, then add treatment, and do it again and see if that helps....

Seems like the boats bigger than ours have a filter on the bent hose for the black tank to eliminate the smell from the black tank. Didn’t have this issue last year.... that I can Recall

Past

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:53 am 

The thru-hull vent for the black water holding tank is on the starboard side of the boat in the general area of the helm. If the toilet is flushed, the additional waste water added to the tank will displace some of the "aeromatic" air in the tank. Not sure if that is it. I have heard of this vent being clogged due to the holding tank being over-filled. In extreme cases this can lead to a very messy situation when the tank is pressurized due to use and the pump out cap is then removed. You might look at the two holes in the vent fitting to ensure the little screens are not plugged. As the temp rises during the day you might have some venting from thermal expansion. Also, check the condition of the hoses, clamps, and surrounding areas to make sure you don't have a slight leak somewhere. I am not sure where you would put a filter, or what type of filter would be used for odor control. I do recommend the tank treatment regularly. Even adding another treatment for odor control between pump outs can be done. Some tank treatments seem to work better than others for odor control. As mentioned, I have heard from a few different sources that adding the cup of powdered laundry detergent with the tank treatment after a pump out helps with odor and with reducing "residue" left behind during a pump out that can contribute to odor. Hope this helps. Gary

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:58 pm 
Clownfish

I would look at the shower sump. I can't remember if the sinks drain to the shower sump but I think the AC condensent drains to the shower sump. This can grow mold and fungus. When it discharges, there could be an order.

I would add a charcoal canister filter inline to the waste tank vent line. Purchase or make one out of PCV pipe, garden hose fittings and activated charcoal. Many boats come standard with this filter in the vent line.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:09 am 
Minnow

A small possibility, smell your fresh water closely, hot and cold. Didn’t use my hot water tank much until recently, also didnt notice the hot water handle was partially open in the bathroom. Never used the water for anything but rinsing. Had an odor that would come and go and didnt associate it with running water at first. Discovered It eventually as cold fresh water would mix with a little of the sulfer smelling water rotting in the hot water tank from lack of use. Flushed the whole water system with 1/2 cup bleach into a full tank of water, rocked the boat, drained, filled and rinsed twice after, all is good. Now try to run water through the hot water tank every week.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:23 am 
Livin' the Dream

That was it, I tiink I was getting it from the fresh water vent and when we would use a little water. We don’t use the water much either. So I drained It, put a couple caps full of water in the fresh tank and got it moving through the system. I will See if it’s better this weekend, if not, I will use your formula (1/2 cup) and see how it goes

Thanks to tweet and the rest of you for the suggestions

Past

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:27 pm 

After a bleach and flush, you might try the vinegar and flush, then an occasional RV water treatment.