www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:06 pm 
Shark

I think I may have water in my engine. Have no idea how it entered? Do they have exhaust baffles in them? 2001 298 Vista twin VP 5.7 GSIPEFS. Was running fine went about 1 hour out to beach port motor died, would not restart. Ran back to marina on starboard motor. Thought it was starter. Yesterday tore into it and jumped starter relay 30-87 turned over like an inch and came back like 1/2 inch backwards. I pulled dipstick level appears high but all oil. I will be pulling plugs, fogging holes, pulling coil wire and rolling over to check for water. i will change oil & filter too. Hopefully i didn't damage anything. Bought boat last year, manifolds looked good was planning on pulling/checking them next year. Now looks like that will happen a lot sooner. I suppose water entered from manifold/risor joint. I don't think it could have come up the Y-pipe to these tall risors. Any advice?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:13 pm 
email admin your custom rank

No exhaust flappers for 2001 engines ( none since 1999 or earlier).

Riser corrosion or a riser to manifold gasket failure due to riser corrosion are the most likely causes. I suspect the latter. The riser to manifold bolts can also come loose due to creep of the gasket; VP now recommend the use of a copper containing adhesive sealer on the riser/ manifold gasket faces.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:35 pm 

Yes no flappers on newer Volvos. First drain the manifolds on both sides. Pull the plugs disable the ignition and spin it over get any water out. Then spray fogging in the cyls replace the plugs and spin it over with the ignition still disabled. Then pull the exhaust elbows and check in the exhaust gas passages for rust. If no sign of rust then pull the manifolds and check for leaks in the manifolds by filling them with acetone and look for leaks at the exhaust ports. If any sign then replace both the manifolds and elbows. Water can get in other ways including a rusted out intake manifold right under the thermostat housing. That can easily put enough water in a cyl to hydrolock it. Until you find the source of water intrusion change the oil and leave the engine and exhaust drained of water.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:15 pm 
Shark

LouC wrote:
Yes no flappers on newer Volvos. First drain the manifolds on both sides. Pull the plugs disable the ignition and spin it over get any water out. Then spray fogging in the cyls replace the plugs and spin it over with the ignition still disabled. Then pull the exhaust elbows and check in the exhaust gas passages for rust. If no sign of rust then pull the manifolds and check for leaks in the manifolds by filling them with acetone and look for leaks at the exhaust ports. If any sign then replace both the manifolds and elbows. Water can get in other ways including a rusted out intake manifold right under the thermostat housing. That can easily put enough water in a cyl to hydrolock it. Until you find the source of water intrusion change the oil and leave the engine and exhaust drained of water.

Could water get past the risor on say a sudden stop? And just spill in there ahead of where the exhaust gas and water are supposed to mix?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:43 pm 

Yes it is possible but good driving strategies will minimize the risk. I think it’s interesting that Merc still uses flappers. You might want to check your static water line to make sure that your elbows are high enough . The tops of the exhaust elbows should be at least 13” above the static water line.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:39 am 
Shark

Well i pulled the plugs and got all the water out. I cleaned up plugs best I could and reinstalled them. Motor will now turn over fine just can not get motor to start. I guess I should get new plugs and verify spark.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:57 am 
This same thing happened to me on my 2002 268 vista (one 5.7 Volvo) just last week. I pulled the plugs, blew the water out, reinstalled and the fuel had gotten into a vapor lock. I removed the fuel cap and it fired right up and ran fine. I'm going to check compression this weekend to make sure I didn't bend any valves or damage anything else when trying to turn it over with the starter (it did turn over a handful of times before I realized it was hydrolocked). I'm surprised this happened, it was when I was moving forward in the river after slowing down to neutral but bumped it into reverse to avoid a log.....learned that lesson.

Robbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:06 am 
Shark

Yours started up after. Mine won't. There is spark, and fuel. I haven't checked compression. I kind of figured motor is toast. Will tear into when I pull boat. What is this vapor lock you referred about?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:16 am 
Luckily I had spark, I did check and double check I hooked all the plug wires back up correctly. I didn't smell a lot of fuel and I guess from the cranking with the plugs out somehow the fuel tank held pressure in it (could also be that my fuel cap is a replacement after dropping one in the water). When I removed the fuel cap I heard a gasp of air and then the system allowed fuel back to the fuel pump and she fired right up. Just something to double check, that the tank is breathing appropriately and your fuel pump is getting full fuel head pressure.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:06 am 
Shark

Ok thanks I will try that.