www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:26 pm 
Can anyone tell me how to remove the lenses on the midcabin lights of my 2002 Vista 268 so I can change the bulbs? I can;t figuer out how the bulbs are accessed.

The lenses do turn in the fixtures a few degrees, but don't seem to want to drop off.

The lights appear to be Guest Marineco model 8018-11-LS-B lights.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:37 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Yes. Slide one or two small flat screwdriver blades between the clear lens and the white base and pry by moving the screwdriver handle away from the center of the light. The bulbs shoud be a #912 incandescent with a "wedge" base. Several other 268 owners have switched these to LED bulbs.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:25 am 
So you just pry them out then?

Ok... hope to got I don't break my lenses!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:38 pm 

Yup. Just take it easy. They will come out. There are 3 or 4 tabs on the lens that line up with slots in the white base. That is why you can only rotate the lens a little bit. If you are looking to go with LEDs you can do a search on this site for others that have done it. Another common change is to install LEDs in the main cabin ceiling light fixtures. Those take a two-prong "G-4" bulb. The advantages are less electrical current draw and les heat generated. We added an AA battery-powered light fixture on the starboard side up against the ceiling for a reading light. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:59 pm 
Surface Interval wrote:
Yup. Just take it easy. They will come out. There are 3 or 4 tabs on the lens that line up with slots in the white base. That is why you can only rotate the lens a little bit. If you are looking to go with LEDs you can do a search on this site for others that have done it. Another common change is to install LEDs in the main cabin ceiling light fixtures. Those take a two-prong "G-4" bulb. The advantages are less electrical current draw and les heat generated. We added an AA battery-powered light fixture on the starboard side up against the ceiling for a reading light. Hope this helps.

yeah, I've already gone LED in all the other cabin and cockpit fixtures, I just need to get the lenses off to do that last 2 lights, will try again on the weekend.

I'm also on the prowl for LED replacements for the low-light rope lighting in the cabin.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:12 pm 

We used something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/GardenDecor-Deco ... 7572&psc=1

We bought ours at a local Menards/Home Depot/ or ??? The cost is less than $10 each. It is powered by 3 AA batteries and is about 3 meters (16 feet) long. We put the battery box/switch on the front top shelf of the galley and pressed the wire between the lights into a seam between upholstered ceiling panels with a popsicle stick or similar flat tool being careful not to damage the vinyl upholstery. Take time to aim the lights for best effect. The lights are hardly noticeable when off, and add a small amount of light when turned on. The string goes up the left side, across the front, and back to the head. The length was just about perfect. We tucked any extra over the head wall. We put another one around the perimeter in the aft cabin with the battery box on top of the cabinet between the head and aft cabin. The batteries last most of a season for us. Hope this helps. Gary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:04 am 
Got it done - thanks!

I went with these bulbs, a good replacement for OEM brightness and color.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0793GVNKG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1