www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Water in Bilge
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:26 pm 
Seahorse

Hi

I recently acquired a 2003 Four Winns 268. It's a very nice boat and my wife and three little kids are excited and looking forward to next summer.

When I acquired it, there was water in the bilge, the bilge is made up of three compartments. From the helm, facing the stern, the compartment of the right of the engine in which the AC pump is installed was full of water.

The mechanic and surveyor told me, it was rain water that had seeped in over time. When I got home, I drained the fresh water tank and filled in with antifreeze. Two days later I went to the boat and the right-hand bilge compartment was filled with antifreeze. The boat has been stored indoors, not that it matters, because its been a while since I've seen pink rain.

So, now the trouble shooting starts. It could be the pipe and fittings that runs from the fresh water holding tank to the fresh water pump or it could be my worst nightmare a damaged water tank.

I'd be very grateful of any ideas and suggestions. I REALLY like this boat and it's been well cared for, hopefully I don't find too many gremlins.

Take care.

CGC

Post subject: Re: Water in Bilge
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:05 am 
email admin your custom rank

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum.

I would start with the fittings. Sometimes those plastic fittings come loose and can leak. I had one leak my second year with the boat and I just pushed it back together and it never leaked again. Hopefully it's something easy like that.
Try tracking the leak if you can. Use a paper towel to see where its coming from. Clean the best you can then go back later and see if you can find a drip.

Before you winterized, did the pump run when you weren't using any water? Like a quick run? That indicates a leak after the pump because it is loosing pressure somewhere to the faucets or toilet.
If not then it may be between the pump and tank. Also check the pump if there is a little strainer. The connections may be loose.

It could also be your AC lines. Did you winterize those? That should be a little easier to track.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:08 pm 

The 268 has two bilges. One is ahead of the aft cabin, and the other is under the aft cabin and in the engine compartment. The forward bilge pump is below the access panel in the lowest part of the floor. The three sections of the aft bilge in the engine compartment are all connected by drain holes at the rear of the aft bilge. The compartments under the aft cabin are also connected the same way, and the center of the aft cabin bilge is open to the engine compartment. While you are there you might want to check bilge pump operation.

While you may have gotten some rain water in the bilge, the pink antifreeze in the bilge is indicating that either there is a leak or something is disconnected. during the winterization process, some owners will leave some of the plumbing disconnected near the pump to allow drainage. Raise the front of the boat and drain or vacuum the water out of the bilge.

The water heater should be a stainless steel 6 gallon tank. The water heater manufacturer recommends draining the water heater for winter. You can leave the drain fitting and the pressure relief valve open to drain it, or use the antifreeze.

The plumbing system uses "Whale" fittings. These fittings are similar to the "Shark Bite" fittings. They can be taken apart. You might google or youtube for more info on them.

Check the water pump for operation and leaks. The pump should build pressure and shut off. Don't be surprised if the pump runs a little while after you run hot water. The water heater tank needs some air space in it, otherwise it will heat up and vent water into the bilge. I learned this the hard way.

I learned a trick from someone on this site about using blue paper shop towels. Notice how they change color when wet. It might help when trying to wipe lines, fittings, etc. to find leaks. I hope this helps. Let us know what you find. We have had a great time on our 268.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:50 pm 
Seahorse

Hi

Thank you for the replies.

I used the paper towel "trick" and discovered that the culprit was a leaking fitting between the tank and the shut-off valve. I disconnected cleaned and reconnected the offending pipe. Problem solved.

Take care.

CGC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:59 pm 

Great to hear!!! Gotta like it when a guy can re-direct those boat maintenance costs toward more boat gas and good times on the water.

Congrats on the boat. We have seven seasons on our '02 268. We keep it at home and trailer to the river every weekend in Minnesota. We've taken ours to Bayfield, WI, and the Apostle Islands four times for a long week each trip, and taken a couple week-long trips down the Mississippi River into Iowa and back. We've had a blast with it, and look forward to more. You'll get used to working around each other on board, and to rolling up the canvas/isinglas enclosure panels, but its a great boat.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:51 pm 
Seahorse

Thanks for the reply, the 268 is a very nice boat!