www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:13 pm 
Guppy

First year with our 358 Vista, 2008 with 5.7 VP inboard V-drives, and have heavy exhaust fume smell in cockpit and our cabin CO monitors going off when underway for 30 min+ with front & side canvus up. With all open, it’s still noticeable but does not set off the cabin CO alarms. Hatch to cabin is always closed. Anyone else experience this with similar setup on 348, 358 or 378??

Can this be from the engine not burning clean? Only 180 hours and no smoke or soot when operating or starting cold.

Thanks, Brian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:16 pm 
email admin your custom rank

BM3TKeyser wrote:
First year with our 358 Vista, 2008 with 5.7 VP inboard V-drives, and have heavy exhaust fume smell in cockpit and our cabin CO monitors going off when underway for 30 min+ with front & side canvus up. With all open, it’s still noticeable but does not set off the cabin CO alarms. Hatch to cabin is always closed. Anyone else experience this with similar setup on 348, 358 or 378??

Can this be from the engine not burning clean? Only 180 hours and no smoke or soot when operating or starting cold.

Thanks, Brian

Run your exhaust blower every so often. This should keep the fumes out of the cabin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:27 pm 

Make sure your CO detectors are operational and believe in them. A couple years ago Minnesota passsed a law to replace the CO Detectors after a young girl died of CO in the cabin. Another young lady died after the law was in place. We did have our alarm sound this last season. It can happen.

While using the blower may help, that is only for the engine compartment, not the cabin. I believe that the engine exhaust is prone to surface and follow the boat at certain speeds and with a tail wind (station wagon effect). Indications are that no particular brand/model of boat is more prone.

Be safe. Keep the equipment in good working order. These detectors have a manufacturing date, and some states like Minnesota require them to be replaced every 5 years because they do not work forever.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:42 am 
Goldfish

I have the same problem on my 338. The rear panels of the canvas have a warning tag that says it was not designed to be up during operation. I think that's a CYA warning as why have the stuff if you can't use it. But what I do is keep the back panels closed, then make sure the side panels are open about 1/2 way and also open the center front to get air flow. And yes, I keep the Co detectors operational and a portable one in the cockpit.

2005 SeaRay 280 SunDancer
2001 SeaRay 245 Weekender

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:56 am 
Guppy

VolDad wrote:
I have the same problem on my 338. The rear panels of the canvas have a warning tag that says it was not designed to be up during operation. I think that's a CYA warning as why have the stuff if you can't use it. But what I do is keep the back panels closed, then make sure the side panels are open about 1/2 way and also open the center front to get air flow. And yes, I keep the Co detectors operational and a portable one in the cockpit.

To clarify...the rear canvas is closed when underway? I have not tried this as I feared the fumes would become trapped. I plan to replace both CO monitors in the cabin and buy a portable one for cockpit. Will try your suggestion...once she’s back in Lake Eire... :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:14 pm 
Shark

I have same boat. My Co2 detectors have always gone off when running. I usually just reset them and they stay off for another 45min to an hour. purchased my V358 brand new in 2008. have slept on the hook many nights with Genny running and never had a CO2 alarm go off.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:17 pm 
Guppy

rberm wrote:
I have same boat. My Co2 detectors have always gone off when running. I usually just reset them and they stay off for another 45min to an hour. purchased my V358 brand new in 2008. have slept on the hook many nights with Genny running and never had a CO2 alarm go off.

Good to know I’m not the only one. I did the same thing with the detectors but was hoping something could be done to avoid needing to. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:01 am 

A CO2 monitor will not last 10 years. I had to replace the monitors in both of my vistas (‘02 and ‘04) because they simply stopped working. This summer the CO2 alarm went off in my house, and after taking it down and reading the back of it I was relieved to read that I was not going to die. In fact it said it was only to be in place for 5 years, and if it started to beep intermittently it was no longer functional. The monitor was about 6-1/2 years old.

Monitors should be checked to confirm they work, and if 5 years or older replace!... I guarantee it’s a small price in comparison to the price we pay each year to enjoy these fabulous toys!