www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:20 pm 
I am in the process of buying a 2000 Four Winns 298 Vista Volvo DP 5.7's. The boat is in excellent shape, current owner obviously took meticulous care and lots of recent investment (canvas, upholstery, electronics etc). Price is right and most importantly the wife loves it

Survey went very well, only minor issues found, sea trial started well, motors run quiet and smooth, no vibrations, temps correct. Unfortunately peak RPM's were 3100/3400 and only 26 knots....turns out it was used less than 5 hrs this year, 30 gal of fresh fuel in each tank and clean filters and now 3500 rpm both engines and 29 knots.

Mfg spec is 4600 to 4800 rpm and I have read reports of 35 knots with those motors on that boat. Due to low use the bottom is heavily fouled, being hauled and power washed Monday but due to weather and logistics it may not go back in.

Questions:

Should this boat really hit 4600 rpm? I have heard other boats with same motor max at 4000
What is a realistic top speed for this boat, I don't care about speed, just want to make sure it is not a symptom of a bigger problem
How much speed loss does fouling cause and would it also affect rpm?
Does anyone know what the stock props are for this? Current owner has not changed them but prior owner may have.[/list]

Thanks,

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:20 pm 
Yes crap growing on the hull will slow it way down and Rpm's down also. Four Winns Claims in fast facts that with your motors 51 MPH and I would bank that is what it should do.

Fuel system cleaner. Change the fuel filter. Tune up. Clean the hull and see what she does.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:24 am 
As replied to above Four Winns fast facts PDF page 88.@ www.fourwinns.com/uploads/2017/2/FastFacts2000.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:39 am 
chevymaher wrote:
Yes crap growing on the hull will slow it way down and Rpm's down also. Four Winns Claims in fast facts that with your motors 51 MPH and I would bank that is what it should do.

Fuel system cleaner. Change the fuel filter. Tune up. Clean the hull and see what she does.

Thanks, and yes I had found that Fast Facts which is very helpful!

Problem is that we aren't in a position to keep working on it and putting it back in the water, I don't own it, the Marina it is in is crazy expensive for hauling and the weather is going downhill fast, they are pushing to get all the boats out now.

For me it is a risk decision, is the low speed/rpm a results of a bunch of small easy to fix items or a symptom of a bigger problem?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:02 pm 
Don't rush it. There will be other boats. They don't have it ready for sale or just know something is wrong. Loss of compression. I doubt it, but throwing it out there as a possibility. Something is wrong and it is a choke move on their part. Get it ready prove it is sound and you will buy it. It isn't your job to get it ready for sale. If not sorry there are other fish in the sea.

Or go down the it looks like the motors are bad road and haggle. It has half power I offer half price.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:52 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Agree with above. While it may look good they are avoiding dealing with what could be an expensive to correct problem 2x engines. I would not even consider buying a boat that does not perform 100% on the water test. They want it sold, then they must make it right. If they drag their feet and expect you to jump at it forget about that boat. It is really not in excellent condition with a problem like that.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:36 pm 
Dolphin

I personally have a good friend who had a 298 with twin 5.0's. Nice boat with plenty of power, 4800 r.p.m. at 40 m.p.h. I also agree with above posts. Give them your name and number and have them call you in the spring time when they have it all cleaned up and ready for a sea trial. How many hours are on it, did you have a compression test? A good survey should answer all the mechanical questions. You have time on your side. Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:06 am 
Shark

If they pressure wash the hull, it will need to have new bottom paint put on. Pressure washing removes a lot of the paint and it will not hold up in the water next year.

I would expect to have:
New bottom paint in the spring.
Fuel injectors cleaned (possibly new fuel injectors given they are so gummed up).

I agree, wait till the spring and they will pay for the storage all winter (or negotiate price accordingly).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:31 am 
email admin your custom rank

I would say a good running pair of motors in a hull that has heavy fouling and is not trimmed properly will not run anywhere near its intended max rpm.

That said you need to see it to believe it. I suggest the best options would be for the owner push to get out for another sea trial now, or the deal is put on hold for spring. Don’t get caught up in the moment.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:13 pm 
Thanks for the feedback. The owner had family issues and used it less than 5 hrs this year, hence the reason to sell. They just hauled the boat, my surveyor was present, Hull had been painted in spring and was pretty good but the props were COMPLETELY covered with barnacles from sitting idle. We are confident that was the issue, unfortunately we can't put it back in to test but I am confident we will be OK, buying a boat :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:32 am 
Yo need help with Unicode in vista premii this inst store bought pc vista is clean install all debugging and patching was done by hand. The issue is the help guide doesnt match with what i have on my screen