www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:47 pm 
wkearney99

After the near biblical amounts of rain we had here during the last week, I come to discover the stern seat locker on our 348 was nearly full of water. No big deal, it just held some lines, fenders and poles. But having to bail it out was rather annoying.

The two swim platform lockers have a drain the exits out the starboard side. I'd likely just tie into that drain line.

So if I'm going to retrofit a drain into it whose should I consider using? I'd prefer to have one with a removable plug for the rare occasions I might actually want to use the stern seat for wet storage (cooler, fish, etc).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:46 pm 
Dolphin

Did you ever get a fix for this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:12 am 
wkearney99

Yes, drilled a hole in the port side of the locker and put in a drain. Then ran a hose from there into the through-hulls used for the two swim platform lockers. Which, tangentally, have proved themselves useful for storing inflatable rafts, but not much else.

Observations, the locker is actually pretty flat. Ours had just a *tiny* bit of port-side list. That's why put the drain on the port side. Use a ball bearing or something that rolls to see how yours leans. Second, the decking is THICK. Fiberglass top and bottom along with marine plywood inbetween. This meant I had to use a 2" pipe nipple to extend through it. So it was the drain grate, a 2" pipe-threaded nipple, to a 90 degree bend and then a hose barb. Then it was just a matter of running the hose back to the transom and then to the existing drain hose. I connected it into that hose with a Tee fitting and it did it close to the through-hull. This to avoid possible risks of water sloshing into the platform lockers getting washed up into the seat locker. And since you're going through wood you HAVE to seal it. It was a bit of a challenge trying to get epoxy slathered onto the sides. I ended up rigging a piece of cardboard on a string. The string pulled it fast against the bottom of the hole. This kept the epoxy from just running down the sides (and into the bilge below). Since the underside of the hatch has insulating foam on it I couldn't just use tape to seal it up. I had to get the cardboard stuffed in through the foam, spread flat again and then pulled tight. I just re-drilled the pooled epoxy once it had hardened. Inside this I then inserted the pipe nipple, rather liberally coated with 5200. Should I even need to remove this I could, conceivably, drill a pilot hole around it and use a wire saw to cut it out. I went with a plastic pipe nipple here to avoid the weight of metal and later cutting hassles.

Next time I'd put the hole closer to the rear of the locker instead of in the middle. There bottom of the locker was really VERY level. But considering that boat acceleration and getting on plane would change that it'd be better to put it farther astern. Being careful, however, to not go so far back as to end up on top of the deck. The hatch's sternmost portion does rest above the main deck and has drain holes that go into the bilge. I didn't measure exactly so I'm not entirely sure if it'd sit there. But if you're considering the modification make sure you know where both the top and bottom sides of the hole will be.

Total expense was less than $100 but it was fairly laborious crawling around the engine compartment. Hot, sweaty, and uncomfortable wiggling my 6'4" frame over those mufflers and their POINTY hose clamp ends...

So now when it rains or we get soaked by bigger waves the locker no longer allows water to collect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:54 pm 
Dolphin

Thanks for the detailed reply. I'll probably do this as a winter project on mine...

BTW: you're right, the swim platform lockers are not very useful unless you have wet ropes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:36 pm 
wkearney99

I wouldn't put wet ropes in there, that'd only succeed in making sure they STAY wet. The only thing I've found that's suitable for storing in those lockers are rolled up inflatable rafts. I got lucky and found the typical 6' pool lounger rafts on sale at the Toys 'R Us for $6. Roll 'em up and stow 'em in the platform lockers. The lines for them, however, go in the transom locker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:34 pm 
Minnow

Good description.

Any pictures of your work?

Marylander

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:58 pm 
wkearney99

No, I haven't taken any yet. I've been meaning to get around to it, so I'll try this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:58 pm 
Dolphin

Looked at my 348 last weekend. It came with a drain hole from the factory. Front-starboard corner. Never looked before, but then again, my boat is rarely in the rain uncovered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:25 am 
wkearney99

First_Mate wrote:
Looked at my 348 last weekend. It came with a drain hole from the factory. Front-starboard corner. Never looked before, but then again, my boat is rarely in the rain uncovered.

How are they draining it from underneath? Just down into the bilge or with a hose?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:16 pm 
Dolphin

Good question... I'll have to check.