www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:30 pm 
Guppy

Hello,

If you keep your Vista 248 or Vista 268 on a trailer, can you share with me the length from the ball hitch on the trailer to the prop on the boat?

I am building an outbuilding to store my future Four Winns (and have identified either the 248 or the 268 as my cruiser of choice). I just want to make sure the 32' long building will accomodate the boat when on its trailer.

Thanks!

Darren

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:09 pm 
Dolphin

Darren, I store my 248 Vista in a custom made garage. My garage depth is 32' and that leaves me about 24" to spare. So I would guess the overall length is around 30' for boat and trailer. The door opening is 11' however I do have to lower the bimini to make it fit.

As far as the 268 Vista I would add at least 2' to the depth which would be 34' in depth.

Fred 248 Vista

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:04 am 
Guppy

Thanks Fred 248 Vista!

What is your tow vehicle? I was considering building the garage with a 10 foot opening - thinking that the boat on trailer was somewhere in the 9ft - 6" range, but now you've got me thinking that I should move up to an 11 foot opening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:07 am 
Dolphin

I currently tow with an 05 Ford F-150 4 x 4, it's equiped with 5.4L 300HP engine,3.73 axle with limited-slip. It does a nice job towing. In the past I had an 00 Expedition and 03 Expedition. Both of them did a decent job towing my Vista. BTW the total weight of the 248 Vista and trailer with a full fuel tank is around 8100 lbs.

If I remember correctly the 248 Vista on the Four Winns trailer(2000 model) was just under 10' by a inch or two. I felt that was a little tight so I decided on a 11' door. That of course raised the height of the garage walls to 12'.

I have pictures of the garage however I have to figure out how to upload it with a message here is a link to my photo at Yahoo;

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fred248@s ... pg&.src=ph

Fred 248 Vista

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:16 am 
Guppy

How kind of you to share! This is really helpful! Even with that 11 foot opening, it looks like that baby just barely makes it (perhaps optical illusion).

From all of the boats that I've looked at (over my 3+ year search) the Vista 248 seems just about perfect for me and the family. Large enough to accomodate everyone (and you have to love top-side) and yet small enough to tow behind the Yukon XL (or at least so says GMC).

Any challenges with launching/loading?

Thanks again!

Darren

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:19 am 
Guppy

One other question...

How wide is that garage? It looks to be about 24' and it looks like the garage door is basically shifted a bit of center... To accomodate the boat backing straight in, I assume...

Darren

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:40 am 
Dolphin

Launching is easy, loading can be a little tricky because the of the bow eye wanting to go below the lower bow roller. If this happens (because I backed trailer in too far) I pull the truck forward a foot or so with the winch hooked up to the bow eye. This causes the stern to drop down on the bunks and raises the bow eye enough to go over the lower bow roller. I then finish winching the boat on the trailer till the keel rests on the bow rollers.

The garage is 24' by 32'. There are two reasons I have the door to the left instead of center. You can't see it in the picture but I have an 8' by 8' garage door in the right rear of the garage. The garage is built next to our cottage on Lake Huron. So I wanted a back door to see the Lake and take stuff in and out. The second reason is for storage. I keep the lawn tractor, yard stuff,ect. away from the boat.

Fred 248 Vista

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:42 am 
Guppy

Brilliant way to set up the garage! This gives me some really good insight into how I'll want mine set up! I will also have a camper in the garage, along with ATVs, and potentially another trailer... I know, it will be jam-packed. Thanks again!

Darren

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:59 am 
Mental Floss

If it was me building a new garage, I'd get the opening as high as possible for reale in the future. A friend just last year built a commercial warehouse with 14 bays just for storage of boats and RVs. With a 14' opening any new boat you get or if down the road you sell, it woulds make the property more desirable becuase an RV with A/C units, TV antennas, etc will fit.

Just a thought.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:03 pm 
Seahorse

My 2002 FW 268 Vista on a FW trailer measures right at 32 feet from the ball to the outdrive. Don't forget to allow room to get behind the boat in order to walk around the rear or to get on and off the swim platform. I also would suggest a height of 14 feet in order to give decent headroom and clearance to put up the canvass.

Gary