www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:41 am 
Shark

This is what I've got...

A 2000 248 Vista. 2 newer batteries. I have a Clarion head unit with a Clarion amp (just 1). The amp is driving a pair of speakers and a sub. THe radio is driving 2 pairs of speakers.

The positive side of the amp and radio is wired (via 0 gage wire amd distrabution block) to the battery switch, the amp is grounded to a battery. (the radio is currently using the stock radio harness ground)

Here is my problem... When I crank my radio up loud (level 27 or so) it will cut off, reset, play for a second or two and repeat the process. When I turn it down to level 22, it's fine.

Can (quasi) deep cycle batteries power a stereo system? I thought they were best at that. Do I need to add a capacitor to balance the stereo load? Should I run a homerun ground from the stereo to the ground block? Where do you think the best place to ground the amp is?

All help is appreciated. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:28 pm 
Minnow

The factory harnesses generally don't supply enough power for system upgrades. If you ran a 0 gauge (which is plenty heavy) to ground the amp, you should be able to tie the deck in to that. Both the ground and the "hot" wire need to be upgraded to eliminate the deck cutting. Here's a link to a bunch of calculators which are pretty handy when figuring out power requirements. http://www.bcae1.com/wire.htm

I run everything off two deep cycles. They're not likely to be causing your problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:51 am 
Shark

Where do you best suggest to ground the cables to the power distribution block? The engine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:18 am 
Minnow

I wired the hot wire to the battery switch "out" terminal with an inline fuse and the ground strait to the battery negative.

I run my cabin speakers off the front channel of the deck without an amp and the rear channel of the deck is wired to the amp and the four speakers on deck. The sub is powered and wired to the rear pre-out. This way you still have the option of turning off the cabin speakers when someone wants it quiet down there or turning off the deck speakers when docked at night. Just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:21 pm 
Shark

I did about the same.

I ran the front (cabin) speakers off the front channel of the radio and the rear 2 speakers off the back channel, Then i added another set of speakers and a sub and ran them off the radio's pre-amp output.

So you are not noticing any issues with running the ground directly to 1 battery?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:27 am 
wkearney99

Don't know the layout on the 248 but are you sure the head unit isn't overheating? Cutting out at higher volume levels is often a sign of the head unit getting too hot and shutting itself down. Likewise as has been posted, make sure there's heavy enough gauge wire providing BOTH positive and negative to the head unit and amp. The farther away they are from the battery the larger the gauge should be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:01 pm 
Shark

It's a new head unit, and it will cut off in seconds when turned on if the volume is high enough.

I DON'T, however have a good ground line going to the radio. A project for the weekend.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:05 am 
Shark

Cousin Eddie,

Thanks for all the help.

I ran a home run from the distribution block to the radio and .... volia! No cutting out.

Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:05 am 
Minnow

No problem. I just about went nuts trying to figure out the same problem when I switched my gear into my current boat. Glad to hear you have it fixed.