www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 268 Vista Stereo
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:41 pm 
268 Vista

Just thought I would ask for the heck of it. Has anyone upgraded the exhisting stereo in a 268 ? By that I mean, adding additional speakers than the standard four, and added a sub-woofer or two. Of course an amp would be needed to power this mess.

The stock stereo is worthless while underway, and I want to upgrade so I can at least hear it while at cruising speeds. But.......... Where to put the speakers is a tough one. Not many options that I have found.
Anybody have some ideas ???

Thanks in advance.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:06 pm 
Mental Floss

An Ipod...

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:08 am 
268 Vista

Already have an iPod. Doesn't answer my question. Oh well. I'll ask elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:15 am 
Mental Floss

Sorry Capt, just being a bit of a smart...

Actually I very rarely listen to tunes underway. Number one, too much noise as I enjoy the hum of the engines and the sound of the water splashing. Second, I have the VHF on and am paying attention to it for communications from other boats I may be traveling with and any channel 16 communications (Security , Mayday and PAN PAN)

Once we get where we are going...on goes the Buffett in a quiet area where I can enjoy the music.

Just me...

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:52 am 
268 Vista

That's okay John. The wife actually ok'd the purchase of a new stereo set up on the boat while we were on vacation last week. Several of our friends have upgraded their stereo's lately, and she would like ours to be as good. There just isn't many options for places to add speakers on the 268. I am thinking of adding two speakers under the helm so it can be heard better while driving, but I don't know if there is enough depth to install them. Would like to add a sub also, but the only place I can figure on putting it, is in a box under the rear seat. That would limit the storage under there though.
We don't usually have ours on much while underway either, but would like the option to turn it up if we want, and improve the sound quality. I may just add an amp and replace the speakers with some Infinity's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:11 am 
Shark

I had the same issue witn my 248.

The stock speaker mounts were in the weirdest places. On the port side, it was on the side about stomach high. On the starbord side the speaker was just off the floor.

What I did was but one on the port floor and one on the Starboard side at the same height as the port side. Now I have 4 speakers (and a sub in the cabin) and the system rocks.

My amp and speakers are Clarion and my reciever is a Kenwood with a wired and wireless remote. I also have the Sat. TV reciever wired into the system.

I can hear music underway, but like jvalich, I like to hear the motor and water.

Feel free to contact me with questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:58 pm 
268 Vista

That sounds nice. I can't put one on the Port floor as the cooler is there, and behind it is where the walk through door is, which would block the speaker when open on the hook. Starboard side is a possibility, but I think the seat would block that one. Where did you put the sub? Mid cabin berth?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:42 am 
Shark

Yep,

That is where the sub is at now... I am still considering where to mount it for good.

On the 248, the port side (From Aft forward) goes door, battery switch & cooler location, small storage area, and then nothing until teh cabin door. I put the speaker between the cooler area and the storage area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:10 pm 
268 Vista

Okay, I see where you mean. I was considering that spot, didn't know if it would fit between the anchor locker and open cabin door.

I have been looking at a Kicker Marine Sub, it is the right size to fit under the back seat out of the way. My neighbor just bought one for his SeaRay, and I measured it last nite. I'm still thinking of mounting two speakers at the helm about mid leg level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:25 pm 
Shark

I know where you mean to put your sub... I use that space to store my back anchor. (I don't have a lot of locker space)

All I did was match the 2 stock speaker locations with 2 additional ones. I started out with 1 low on the starboard side, 1 mid chest on the port side. I then put in 1 low on the port side(next to the locer location) and 1 on the downward slope of the hull line... When I removed the upholstry panel, I found that there was a hole already cut (for a speaker?) I had a shop cut the panel and mount the speaker. I put in all new speakers (Clarion) to handle the power.

Add a Clarion 480 amp and my Bazooka 10" sub and I am getting KILLER sound.

Now if I could only port the sub to the deck...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:58 pm 
268 Vista

I store my stern anchor, brush and misc. stuff under the back seat too. The stuff will have to find a new home if I put the sub there, but for the reason you mentioned, I want the sub in the cockpit if possible. I'll have to check my starboard side and see if there is a hole drilled there. I think the back of my seat blocks that location, but not sure. That would be the cleanest install, so that may be what I end up doing also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:24 am 
Shark

If you want, I can take a few pics of the locations.

Let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:03 pm 
268 Vista

Thanks, the dimensions of the 248 cockpit are exactly the same as the 268. Of course the back seat is slightly different, but otherwise they should be the same. I'll let you know, and I can take some pics of mine to help illustrate the way it is set up. I bet it's just like yours, and it will work on mine the same as it did for you.