www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:52 am 
Seahorse

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum. I am traveling this weekend to look at a 2008 318. I am looking for any questions that I should be asking about this model. Also, do you guys have any pros/cons with it? Any input is greatly appreciated! Just FYI, it has the 5.0 gxi/dp power plant.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:27 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Good boat. I had one with twin 5.0s and Bravo 3s. More power is always a good thing, but survey results are most important. Personally I prefer VP over Mercruiser but the condition of the boat won.

I know that model very well, ask away.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:39 pm 
Seahorse

Did it have any trouble getting on plane with a full tank of fuel, full freshwater and at least six adults on board? I am a previous rinker cruiser owner...I have heard that those have had issues with water getting into the radar arch and causing cracks… Any quirks like that with four winns?
My old boat had a generator on it that I didn’t use very often… This boat does not have a generator. I have heard of other people bringing a portable generator and leaving it on the swim platform to run the air conditioning while on the hook… Sound about right?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:16 pm 

tonytheplumber wrote:
Did it have any trouble getting on plane with a full tank of fuel, full freshwater and at least six adults on board? I am a previous rinker cruiser owner...I have heard that those have had issues with water getting into the radar arch and causing cracks… Any quirks like that with four winns?
My old boat had a generator on it that I didn’t use very often… This boat does not have a generator. I have heard of other people bringing a portable generator and leaving it on the swim platform to run the air conditioning while on the hook… Sound about right?

Getting on plane took a while when we had the boat loaded up, but it would still get on plane. On the '08 the radar arch will fold down for easier transport on a trailer, I've had no issues with water staying inside - I actually caulked mine up to keep water out during rain storms.

On a 318, I would not consider one without a built in generator. I've heard of people using portable generators on 268 size boats, but on a 318 you want the built in. Plenty of boats for sale on the market that have them and you really won't be paying any extra $$$ to get a boat with it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:50 pm 

I'm with Firecadet, for that size boat, a built in generator is preferred.

My 338 has the Merc MX6.2 and have no issues getting on plane fully loaded with fuel, water and 6 guests. The 5.0 will need to work hard to get you going.

Previously:
2007 Vista 258 " Just Right"
2005 Horizon 230

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:28 am 
Shark

They had foldable arches? Can you explain? I wish my 01 298 did. I have it off now as I am going to redo/repaint it. It had some water /bubbling paint. It was a bitch to get off by myself....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:45 am 

LUBA wrote:
They had foldable arches? Can you explain? I wish my 01 298 did. I have it off now as I am going to redo/repaint it. It had some water /bubbling paint. It was a bitch to get off by myself....

They came hinged from the factory on my 08 and on jnizi's 07 338. Just a big hinge, nut, bolt and extra wiring wrapped up neatly in a loom. When they switched to a hardtop it became fixed. I'm not sure offhand what year that was, but on the 2011 I looked at, it was the fixed hardtop.

Here are pics from when i had my boat prepped for transport.

http://i.imgur.com/hIe82Ce.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/x7IGHhB.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/bltNyV6.jpg

Last edited by firecadet613 on Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:29 am 
Shark

firecadet613 wrote:
LUBA wrote:

They came hinged from the factory on my 08 and on jnizi's 07 338. When they switched to a hardtop it became fixed. I'm not sure offhand what year that was, but on the 2011 I looked at, it was three fixed hardtop. Just a big hinge, nut and bolt, extra wiring wrapped up neatly in a loom.

Cool I wonder if it could be retro-fitted to my 01 298. I know Jay and Kay made them for FW for mine. Not sure I would need it-as I plan on doing it right this time sealing it well usuing tef gel/plastic washers on stainless screws etc.. But it would be neat to possibly get under some bridges I can't now.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:55 am 

LUBA wrote:
firecadet613 wrote:
LUBA wrote:

They came hinged from the factory on my 08 and on jnizi's 07 338. When they switched to a hardtop it became fixed. I'm not sure offhand what year that was, but on the 2011 I looked at, it was three fixed hardtop. Just a big hinge, nut and bolt, extra wiring wrapped up neatly in a loom.

Cool I wonder if it could be retro-fitted to my 01 298. I know Jay and Kay made them for FW for mine. Not sure I would need it-as I plan on doing it right this time sealing it well usuing tef gel/plastic washers on stainless screws etc.. But it would be neat to possibly get under some bridges I can't now.

I only ever folded it for transport or to reseal it (in heavy rains water would trickle in around it and the canvas, I was able to get it bone dry l. Really just need a second person to start threading on one of the bolts.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:02 pm 
Goldfish

tonytheplumber wrote:

I have a. '08 318 with Merc 5.7's No trouble fully loaded getting on plane.

Echo those who say you want a generator.

Access in the engine room is pretty tough on this one. Also, make sure you replace the gaskets on the fuel fill caps. I feel it's a design flaw of the boat that water is allowed to gather on top of them as they are in the low point of the deck. My season ended early last year due to water in the fuel.

previous:
2001 248 Vista