www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:16 pm 
Clownfish

Greetings all,
I thought I would share my experience and a link to Kohler generators manual since it was helpful to me.

So, with a new V275, I was thrilled I had a kohler generator, but couldn't find the manual after it stopped suddenly the other day.

The story:
I was told to run the generator a little bit with a load every time you're up there, even if only for a few minutes. So, I have been doing that, maybe 3-4 time since I got the new boat. The other night, while in the slip, running the gen with the AC on, she stalled and stopped. I tried to restart it and nothing. So, I shut all the switches down and opened the engine hatch. Error code on the genset said Low Freq, fault. From reading, this also could be from over-loading the generator and having too much load on it.

I found this on the internet, so credit to whomever put it up at atlantis marine.

http://www.atlantismarine.co.uk/Images/User/tp6255.pdf

Reading this and found out how to reset the fault. Once I did this, power disconnect and reset fault via the knob and button on the genset, she started yup again, second attempt. I have a momentary remote switch in the cabin.

So, regardless, I figured someone else would need to look this unit up at one point (or other kohlers) and it would help out.

NJBoater

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:32 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Nice post and good find on the manual. Those trouble codes can be a PITA!

I subscribe to the school of thought, that if you run the generator often - it'll run well. Do not run it and when you need it - it'll have issues!

For instance, on my 318 I ran it every time we unplugged from shore power and left the dock - until it was back at the dock. Rarely had an issue and had A/C & Heat all day on the boat. Fuel expense for a generator is minimal.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:57 pm 
Clownfish

I have to dig in the manual to see what the gallons per hour is on the 4kw unit. I'd be curious to see what a regular load on it would use, for example, overnight with AC. I am sure its in the specs somewhere in that pdf. ;)

(updated)
This is the exact model, now that I looked further. 5EkD low CO model Kohler

http://pasch.es/pdfs/Naval/Generadores/ ... LINE/4.pdf

And fuel consumption at 100% load is 3.52lph (0.93gph) so good to know if doing an overnight.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:27 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Yep - right at a gallon per hour.

On the 318, it pulls from the right tank and due to it, always had to put a few more gallons on that side. On the 268 it was like yours, just the one tank. I never much paid attention to economy on a boat though.

Keep posting more pics - we need to bring this forum back to life!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:38 am 
Clownfish

So, for those playing along at home, my 5EKD Kohler was running ok and it then stalled and threw a "Loss of Coolant" error, which I was able to reset. I checked the fluid levels and all was good. I then called 1-800-Kohler and spoke with the tech support rep and he suggested checking the basket for blockage even though I had water output being produced out the exhaust side of the boat. Sure as heck, shut off the seacock and checked the strainer - some seagrass and I got her reset and started again. He suggested checking it each time I go out, which is a bit much with how tight that brass on brass basket/strainer is to open (vs my old plastic v248 2002 strainer, for say, the AC unit.)

With that I also was referred by Kohler to a local guy who is Kohler certified and works on the Miss Lotta, the local Lake Hopatcong, NJ tour dinner boat (who just had a new 20K Kohler installed which they run almost 24/7 according to the tech. Local tech said he would do tuneups and winterization since my local boat mechanic will probably give me a "We dont work on generators" line, but that expected.

Additionally, I spent the $25 and picked up a new seawater impeller/gasket replacement since they suggest every 10-20 hours or so or wo regular use (it might dry out), and/or yearly you might want to check/change it if you are having cooling issues. So, its a project for another day if needed.

njboater

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:18 pm 
Clownfish

Ok, mission accomplished!

Ordered a new impeller, Kohler match for 5EKD and removed old one (what a mess), got as many pieces as I could and tested ok. I had to utilize someone smaller to get both hands on the housing to get the new lubed up impeller in. Ran and tested with a load for about 30 minutes, so she should be good to go! Pics for your enjoyment.

Can you tell which is the old impeller? lol

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PnUPNr ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vEwby- ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hu5JNw ... sp=sharing