www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boating Alone
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:50 am 
Seahorse

So, I'm trying to build up the confidence to take my boat out alone for the weekend. I have always had either my son or husband with me, but I'm the operator of my boat, my passengers are more like deck hands LOL... I drive it, slip it, and can operate all systems.

Do any of you boat alone? Is it too risky? There always seems to be schedule conflicts with my family and I would really enjoy some quiet time out on the water, fishing alone.

Post subject: Re: Boating Alone
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:54 pm 
Clownfish

I know most will say, if you know your boat, be safe and go ahead weather permitting if its a short trip. Non - ocean trips, that is.

I always wear one of these if I am alone on the lake https://www.walmart.com/ip/SOSpenders-1 ... gI_3vD_BwE or the around the belt version. If you're knocked in the water, best to be sure you're wearing the engine lanyard, your lifejacket when underway. Cellphone in waterproof neck lanyard helps, too.

Most times I have friends out on the lake in their boats, and/or I have company on the boat.
ymmv.

NJboater

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:38 am 
Seahorse

Good advice... funny you should mention the lanyard. It got knocked off last weekend and we spent a long time trying to figure out why the boat wouldn't start before I noticed it was laying on the ground LOL...

you bring up good points though - I'm going to make sure my phone is waterproofed and charged for sure just in case!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:10 am 
email admin your custom rank

I boat solo on occasion - my biggest challenge is the boat ramp. If mine was in a slip, I'd do it a lot more.

Use your safety gear, have a VHF, let others know where you plan to be and when you plan to be back (float plan).

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:43 am 

90% of the time I have boated alone but it is a popular boating area and there is a Coast Guard station nearby as well. I have Boat US towing, a VHF radio tied into my GPS, and a lot of spare parts. I think its fine as long as you take precautions, check the weather and always open the engine hatch take a look for anything that looks, or smells unusual. One thing I advise is to check the clamps on all cooling hoses and fuel lines once a year at the start of the season. Always check the engine oil before setting out. Check the weather forecast not just for when you are leaving but also when you return.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 1:55 pm 
Shark

To be honest I have never had anyone else in my boat. I been alone every trip so far.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 2:41 pm 

I've done it a few times when its a beautiful day and no-one else wanted to go... I've even anchored and taken a good nap... now that is relaxing. The problem is doing it with a Vista will be alot more challenging as it is more of a PITA to get a big boat in and out of a slip without any helpers. If it were my boat I would probably try though...

A ski boat is easy to do by yourself even if you trailer it, provided the ramp has a dock. If no dock, you have to anchor shallow and get all muddy to run back and move the trailer.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 5:27 pm 

I have on all my boats aside from the 268. It was hard enough to fit that on a small courtesy dock with a helper.

318 was a cakewalk, provided the winds weren't too strong blowing me off the dock.

240 is easy peasy and easy enough for a quick trip mid week as schedules allow.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 6:54 am 

I have boated alone sometimes, but only if the wind is out of the direction to push me into the dock. Otherwise it is almost impossible to dock by myself.
The first time I did this was because it was miserably hot out and I was waiting for a friend to show up. He got delayed and I was roasting sitting on the boat in the marina. So I ventured out alone, anchored and spent the afternoon swimming and relaxing.
I did a 30 mile solo trip once as well to change marinas before I had a permanent slip of my own.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:31 pm 

If you are competent with the boat and know the safety measures you need....enjoy it!....be safe and have fun.

My sister in law takes out their Everglades 240 in the intercoastal and bay. She knows the boat and area and have to say their slip is a SOB. Parrallel slip due to restrictions and no room to pull straight in due to neighbors similar slip....she has a single 300 OB and has to make a 90 degree pivot to exit and enter the slip and she knocks it out of the park.

I've been boating for over 20 years...and would pucker getting into that slip. Point being....know your limits and stay within them.... I've enjoyed alone time on water....its not often that I have chance to boat while not constantly monitoring what everyone is doing.... lets face it, others on the boat are a joy but a stressful joy knowing you seem to be only one looking out for them.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi