www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:21 pm 
Guppy

Has anyone installed a self contained AC unit in their 268?

Looking at this unit maybe not so many BTU’s?

https://www.marinaire.com/Marine-air-co ... D4QAvD_BwE

From what I read the the engine compartment is not the place for these?

Whats under the steps? Or under the aft bed next to the waste tank?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:49 pm 
email admin your custom rank

The AC unit goes in the aft cabin rear foot locker. The space will accommodate a 5000-6000 BTU unit. I'm not sure you will get a larger unit to fit. A water pump and plumbing goes in the engine compartment. The most likely units are MarineAire, CruiseAir, etc. that are a rectangular profile. I'm not sure the Webasto units that are more square will fit. If you install it, the parts will probably run approximately $2000.

Have a look at http://www.boat-project.com. The second item in the section marked "Mechanical Boat Projects" covers an AC installation. Also, do a search on this site for others that have installed a system. There are several projects on this site that may be of interest. Most of these projects were done 8-10 years ago, and some may have more technologically advanced options today, but you can get a good idea what is in your boat.

A cheaper method, that is usually in the way, is to use a household 5000-6000 BTU window AC unit in the cabin doorway with a thick blanket clipped to the handrail on the upper door so it hangs down to the top of the AC unit.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:40 pm 
Guppy

Good stuff, the footlocker would be a good location. Right now we use a 5-6,000 btu stand up AC unit that stands on the counter and we run the intake out the window. Works well just a pain to lug around.

I think I would use the through hull hole that’s already in the engine compartment for the sea water intake for the toilet. We never use and and don’t see us ever using it. As far as the discharge I have not really decided.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:53 pm 

We tried the stand up unit. It took a lot of space. It also took cool air from the boat cabin to run the AC and then exhausted that air to outside, which means that warmer outside air had to enter the cabin to make up for the air the AC exhausted. While the window AC is still not ideal, it works for us better than the stand up unit.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:50 am 
Guppy

So... went to check out the spot you were talking about, the aft footlocker, I didn’t even know that compartment was there and I’ve owned the bot 2 years now. And a bonus it had an extra power cord and a few bumbers.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:43 pm 

Hey WOW! More boat stuff than expected! The OEM 268 AC compressor system is installed in the aft foot locker. They install a 300+ gph water pump in the engine compartment to run water through the AC unit for heat transfer. Water normally comes from a separate scoop-like through hull fitting to enable operation while the boat is moving forward. This water is expelled out of an above-waterline through hull fitting that you will need to add. The foot locker limits the physical size of the unit to approximately 12" by 12" by maybe 18" long. The unit has a pan to catch condensation. This pan needs to drain to the shower sump pump so it can be pumped overboard. The door for the rear footlocker needs to have a grill installed for air flow to the unit. The normal AC air outlets are a 4" in the front corner of the foot locker panel and a rectangular outlet in the electrical panel wall between the cabin door and the galley cabinet, and below the stereo. Some others on this site have added a 4" outlet on the front side of the galley cabinet ahead of the sink. Using insulated ducting is recommended.

In addition to the illustrations in www.boat-project.com, you can see many of the components and related parts on the Four Winns website by looking at their on-line parts catalog.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:29 am 
Guppy

Phenomenal information, few things I would of never thought of. Thanks a bunch!