www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: On board battery charger
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:23 pm 
Guppy

2003 vista 268

My on board battery charger has failed guest charge pro 2620.
I’d like to replace it with the same one for plug and play operation, but I’ve found out that’s not going to happen.

Can someone explain how it gets it power and how it it ties in to charge the batteries?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:43 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Trace the wiring. It should have an input side where it gets power and then the outputs should be hooked directly to the batteries.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:00 pm 
email admin your custom rank

The Guest 2620 in the 268 gets 110 volt power from the 110v panel. Make sure the shore power is connected and the Main breaker is on. Make sure the "Charger/Refrigerator" switch is on.

For replacing the charger, Four Winns uses a unique 110v plug to power the charger. This plug is near the charger on the port side in the engine compartment. You will need to clip some cable ties to get some slack to work on it. You might cut the plug off the new charger power cord and splice the new charger power cord to the cord from the old charger. The two charger outputs ( 10 amps to house battery and 10 amps to engine battery) connect to the rotary battery selector switch. The two positive output lines each have inline fuses near the battery selector switch. You might be able to splice the new charger output wires to the existing wires. If you replace the charger with a higher output charger you might need to replace the old wiring to the battery switch. The four screws holding the battery switch panel in place can be removed and the panel tilted forward to access the connections on the back side of the switch. There is not a lot of extra slack in the wiring

The old Guest 2620 chargers had a reputation of failing. Mine quit charging the engine battery. I Installed a Noco Genius II two bank charger that delivers 10 amps to each battery bank. It seems to work all right. Don't go with a smaller output charger. If you have two or more batteries in your House bank, you might need to install a charger with a higher output for the House battery bank.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon