www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:06 pm 
Minnow

Looking at a leftover 298 with 39 hours on it. Paying $91,000. is this a good price?

How do you like or dislike your 298? What is the true burn rate? It has the volvo 5.0 XDP's on them.

Anything I need to check at the seatrial?
Do they hold there value?
Thanks in advance.
Fins

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:10 pm 
Mental Floss

The 298 is within inches of my 288. For the 5.0's expect 17-19 gph burn at 28 - 32 mph cruise.

How did a "left-over" get 39 hrs on it? If it was a demo boat I'd ask the dealer for an extended warranty on it. I would be nervous if it's a demo about the break in proceedure being followed hence the request for an extended warranty/service contract.

I would say 91K is a good price depending on how the boat is equipped, genset? A/C? etc.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:26 pm 
Minnow

J,
Thanks, It is maxed out with everything and has an extended warranty.

AC, Gen, covers, inner spring mattress, head overboard discharge, windless, sunpads, tvs, gas vapor detector, fresh water cooling, nutri salt systems, refrig in cockpit.

Fins

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:26 pm 
Mental Floss

Have it surveyed, seatrial it, plop down the cash, enjoy! Sounds like a real good deal to me if she checks out.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:35 am 
Minnow

I have a 2005 298 that I bought new w Ocean Series 5.7s. Great boat with sporty and stable ride . I burn about 18 gph and cruise at 32/33 mph. What are the electronics? Strong points are the ride, layout and finish. Weak points are engine access and tendency to spray up under certain windy conditions. Commentary regarding "wet ride" way overblown as I have been on many similar size and larger cruisers in the Barnegat Bay to experience similar spraying under certain conditions.
In speaking to my dealer and other marinas (some of which my company provides the financing for), clean 2004/2005s have been selling in the 105k range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:39 am 
Minnow

One other thing. Check external hoses on the outrives right at the base. My boat had plastic wire wraps on each hose that tore thru the bellow when the outdrives were pulled up in trailer mode (Which I did any time I beached the boat to check the props from in the water). Almost ruined my July 4th weekend but for a good friend who did an emergency replacement of the bellows that Friday. Those wire wraps should be moved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:41 pm 
Starfish

I love our 1999 298. Except for the durn engine hatch, heavy and awkward, it is roomy and a lot of fun. We have the 5.0 GI engines and find them plenty for this boat. It planes quickly and easily. The huge swim platform is great for grilling from. We have a Magma grill and grill table bolted to the grab handle and spend several evenings each season grilling and enjoying the cockpit tables to eat and relax.

It sounds like a great deal. Get it surveyed and enjoy. That is higher than my budget at the time would allow, but this year I'd jump at a 2005 for $91,000.

NADA for ours is $53,000.

Scottsboro, Alabama

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:10 am 
Minnow

I use a Magma Newport on my 2005 298. I installed a rodholder portside aft on the gunnel. It is great and stable and allows you to keep the grill in place even in the roughest conditions. The rodholder attachment to the Newport is a solid way to go.