www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2005 Kohler 5E Troubles
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:35 pm 
Minnow

Hello all,
I'm new to the forum but not boating. I own a 2005 348 Vista and love it. The Kohler 5E gen however? Sometimes not so much!
After taking delivery last year with the boat winterized I never tried to start the gen until spring as everything was laid up. The Kohler ran ok during the sea trial but I knew we had a few things to work on as it sputtered.
Ok,come spring. The gen cranked like crazy but no start. She didnt have power to the fuel pump nor spark? I replaced the control board ($245) with new no go, same thing. Here's what I found.
1.The carb was completely plugged with grit and the anti-diesel solenoid was not working.
2.I found the inline fuel filter just in front of the fuel pump was plugged despite having a fuel/water spin on in front of that.
3. The electric choke was shorted which caused the no spark no power to fuel pump issue. This was obvious when looking at melted connections and a little ohm work.
4. Oh one other thing? If you have a remote start/stop button in the boat say down in the salon, remember it needs to be in the neutral position or you will not be able to start the gen from down below. You'll get the ol no spark no power to the fuel pump routine which can drive you batty!
These units need clean fuel and need to be regularly run under a load. Fuel problems cause most issues with these units along with plugs. Throttle hunting is most likely plugged jets in the carb.
Keep fuel clean gents and always check fuel, spark and air first.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:25 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Welcome to the forum. I have eally enjoyed this forum for my boat and general info. There is a lot of searcheable info and a great group. Best wishes.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:51 am 

Welcome!

I'm on my 3rd boat with the Kohler Generator, one being the 5E, one the 5ECD. You hit the nail on the head, run it and run it often. I have had very little issues with all of mine due to that practice. As soon as we turn off shorepower, we fire up the generator and it runs until we return to the dock. I picked up my '07 last summer, with under 35 hours on it....it is going to double it's hours this year!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:09 pm 
Minnow

Hello Firecadet
Thanks for the reply. You said you run your Kohler underway? How fast can you go while running it?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:13 pm 

RekaSea wrote:
Hello Firecadet
Thanks for the reply. You said you run your Kohler underway? How fast can you go while running it?

On all 3 boats, 268, 318 and 358 - any speed. I've yet to have an issue, but you cannot start it while underway.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:14 pm 
Minnow

That's pretty amazing being able to run the gen on plane. But hey the engines draw on plane thru the hull and strainer. Why would'nt the gen..right?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:39 pm 

What's the point in having a generator if you can't be powered up while underway?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:51 pm 
Minnow

I've had 3 other boats but this is my first with a generator. I've read many an article on the proper use and several comments regarding slow speed running while at displacement speeds so one can use the AC/Heat and maybe microwave but nobody has stated running the gen at planing until now.
The engine cooling thru hulls have a forward scoop design to catch and help direct water while planing but the gen intake is 1. smaller and 2. less dynamic or flat if you will.
It'll be interesting to see the better half trying to cook while doing 22-23 knots over 2 footers.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:49 am 

RekaSea wrote:
I've had 3 other boats but this is my first with a generator. I've read many an article on the proper use and several comments regarding slow speed running while at displacement speeds so one can use the AC/Heat and maybe microwave but nobody has stated running the gen at planing until now.
The engine cooling thru hulls have a forward scoop design to catch and help direct water while planing but the gen intake is 1. smaller and 2. less dynamic or flat if you will.
It'll be interesting to see the better half trying to cook while doing 22-23 knots over 2 footers.

We typically use the A/C while underway and occasionally the microwave. Honestly, I typically run the gen to just run it and exercise it as a sitting generator will give you fits. I'm in shock how well mine runs for only having 32 hours on it when we bought it last year. The A/C nor the generator has never lost prime, while we've been underway. On my 358, the A/C had a scupper on the intake thru hull, similar to the engines. For whatever reason, the previous owner had it removed and a straight thru hull installed. Again, no issues with it loosing prime.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:56 pm 
Tadpole

We have a Kohler 5kw genset @ 661 hours in our 2002 268 Vista.
Just had a complete service about 6 weeks ago, be sure to change the impeller every 2 years just like your water pump.
Our boat stays in the water so every month I run the generator and put it under load for about 15-20 minutes just like the mechanic told me to.
Runs like a top :D