www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Replacement Deck Hatches
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 6:50 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Hey everyone!

Having the soft spot(s) repaired on my 97 Vista 278 forward deck... the 3 original hatches are sun checked, and I want to replace them while I have everything out. Of course, they are what caused the soft spots, so I have no interest in reusing them either.

Problem!!

The 1 forward hatch closest to the bow is 20" round. The two smaller ones (One over the settee and one over the galley) are 12".

Do you have any idea HOW HARD it is to find round hatches in these sizes? I have tried all the usual outlets - West Marine, Great Lakes Skipper, Ebay, Amazon... most of those places dont even have round hatches, let alone ones in that size. And when I do find ONE, I cant find the other two to match :evil: :evil:

I am asking for your recommendations or suggestions on places you may know where I can buy deck hatches - preferably Lewmar or Bomar. I am desperate at this point as I need the hatches so the shop can complete the job, and I can launch, I appreciate and will pursue any recommendations!

PS Four Winns itself is NO help.

Thank you!

379 hours as of 8/8/21

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 7:08 am 

You wouldn't think it would be so difficult. Every boat with a cabin has an escape hatch.

Check out defender.com. They have a 20" Vetus hatch. https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=2359318
Can you make the 12" hatches larger? They have the match with a 16" Vetus https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=2359293

Otherwise you might have to mix and match. Great lakes skippers has a 12" bomar hatch and west marine has a 20" bomar hatch. They are not identical looking though.

BTW, I have no affiliation with defender, just that they are semi local to me and great people work there. They have been very helpful for me. You might also try calling them. Maybe they can special order something.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 2:49 pm 
Tadpole

I had to replace the foredeck hatch last year. I couldn't find the exact same size but found a round hatch that was slightly larger in diameter. I had to cut the deck with a jigsaw and it wasn't difficult.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:17 pm 

Thank you for the posts!

So I did end up finding two matching 12" hatches, from Great Lakes Skipper. They are on their way (shipped with FedEx, thats a whole other debacle). But I digress... I still haven't bought the 20" hatch. :twisted:

Is VETUS a well known, reliable brand? I know Lewmar & Bomar but never heard of Vetus. I mean, heck, I will order it right now if it is!

379 hours as of 8/8/21

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:41 pm 
Dolphin

I have a 2000 268 vista went to open it and crack the plastic type hatch just gave way . Who invented this stuff no signs just non function !

Shuman 268 vista

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:44 am 

shuman wrote:
I have a 2000 268 vista went to open it and crack the plastic type hatch just gave way . Who invented this stuff no signs just non function !

Shuman 268 vista

I am surprised they last as long as they do. The little piece that connects to the frame to hold the strut is soooo cheap. For the price they could at least use a tiny bit of stainless.

As for Vetus brand. I don't personally have experience with the brand but I have seen it for quite some time. Try to find some google reviews on the model you are looking for.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:25 pm 

Just an update to this thread so I can have peace, lol.

I ended up calling all over the place, probably made 20+ phone calls looking for a 20" round hatch - by the way square is MUCH more common and easier to obtain. I went to West Marine, tried to order the Bomar 20" in their catalog/website. Well, they don't stock it whatsoever, they place the order to Bomar. Seemed liked it was easier to eliminate the middle man, so I called Bomar directly. Took a few days, they were shut down for the virus, and were very minimally staffed. Spoke to a customer service agent named Tracy West. She was the most knowledgeable person I have ever met in the boating parts world. She definitely deserves a raise. Helped me order my hatch, actually helped me more than she would know by telling me it can be powder coated white to match the other 2 hatches, and my boat. This is NOT an option at West Marine. You get the brushed aluminum , and you will like it. Also, Tracy helped me with ordering the "trim ring" which goes inside on your headliner, as well as the "mosquito screen". She was upfront and let me know that everybody was laid off, and that delays were inevitable. I must've ordered the hatch in April, early May, and the expected ship date was 13-July. After not receiving the email with shipping info, or my credit card getting charged, I called Tracy. The order had been lost :evil: :evil: She followed up and put a rush on it. Emailed me a week later, saying it would ship the next day. Still no tracking or charge. By now it is July 25th or so, and I am beyond frustrated. I had ordered the hatch 3 months prior. 3 MONTHS. Its just a little 20" hatch! A metal ring with some polycarbonate plastic and a few handles. A whole boat is built faster than that, lol.

All this is happening, and my boat's forward deck had been completely replaced. The shop is just waiting for me to bring them the LAST hatch so they can install it. They offer to install my old, leaky, 23 year old hatch and I decline (it leaked and caused the rot, that lead to the replacement of my entire forward deck ($7,500). Anyways, after waiting and waiting and waiting, I finally give in and tell the shop that I cant get the hatch, I will pick up the boat, and to temporarily silicone and tape down (note: do NOT screw it in) my old hatch until the new one comes in. At this point, several calls and emails to Bomar are now unanswered, and I've lost hope that I will get my hatch in 2020. I go get my boat, bring it home, clean it, summerize it, get ready to launch it. That was on Monday. Tuesday, get home from work, and guess whats on my porch???? :lol: :lol: :lol: Call the repair shop, bring the boat RIGHT back with the new hatch, trim kit and screen. Got boat back 1 day later (which was today).

I cant complain, Tracy was still the best part of the whole experience, and was a wealth of info. I would've never gotten the right hatch, and it would've driven me NUTS having it not match my other two. The hatch is absolutely wonderful, white powdercoated, nice trim ring with a nice new screen. Every piece is super well made, and feels like it will last many many years.

Tl;dr - if you need a new hatch from Bomar, you ain't getting it for at least 3 months.

379 hours as of 8/8/21

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:42 pm 

Wow that’s quite a story. Boat companies depend on companies that are basically like cottage industries! I guess the moral of the story is that the simpler your boat is the easier of a time you will have.
Glad your job is coming to completion

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:20 pm 

Quite the saga, but glad they came through for you!

Any pictures of the finished repairs?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:16 am 
Minnow

$7500 for the forward deck... OMG..

as a new vista 288 owner, what do you recommend I do to prevent something like this happening. I do not believe I have any soft spots though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:47 am 

On my 358, I removed the sunpad snaps as we never used them (epoxied the remaining holes and put down new gelcoat). On my 318, I rebedded them with LifeCalk.

Remove your hatches, seal the coring with epoxy and rebed the screws.

At minimum, rebed all bow screws in LifeCalk. If you're on the Four Winns Vista Owners Facebook page, I recently posted pictures as I'm currently rebedding my hatches.