www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:12 am 
Shark

Has anyone installed a washdown kit into the bow on a 278 or similar?
I am thinking about installing one.
My plan/thinking is
Install pump in engine compartment and plumb into the thru hull with the A/C cooling pump.
Wire into the Accessory switch on the dash.
Route water line to the front anchor locker and place just under the deck hatch at the bow. This is the hardest part - has anyone done and have any advice on getting from behind the fridge thru to under
the bed locker and into the anchor locker? I am thinking drill holes and seal up around the hose so no water gets back into the cabin from the anchor locker.
Then I can put a quick disconnect on the end of the hose and mount so I can connect a wash down hose easily.

Thoughts / Ideas?
Any pics?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:26 am 
email admin your custom rank

Just a thought, but how about just running the power up to the bow and installing the pump up there with a drop in the "lake" pickup hose. Then you don't have to worry about more thru hull leaks and you don't have to run the hoses. Also, might be handy as a a wash down with a bucket of soapy water.
You also don't loose any pressure since the pump is right there vs 20-25 feet of hose.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:40 pm 

I installed one in my 268. We use it frequently to rinse the anchor rode, anchor, and bow area, or the dinghy or other toys on the swim platform. As long as the lake or river water is not too muddy, it works very well. I used a 60 psi 4 gpm pump mounted near the potable water pump. I tee'd off the thru-hull fitting for the toilet supply and added a check valve in the line going to the head so the pump would not pull any lake water away from the supply line to the head. I tee'd off the pump output and ran a line to the transom locker and a line to the bow anchor locker. I ran the line under the floor through the aft cabin area near the holding tank, under the head floor, under the right forward seat, and drilled a hole through the aft wall of the anchor locker. I just sealed the hole with silicone, but a better installation might be to install a bulkhead fitting going through that wall. A coiled hose, nozzle, and holder at each end would be a nice finish. I used the third switch (ACC) to the right of the steering column. We love it. We can use lake/river water to rinse the anchor or other toys on the swim platform.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:26 am 
Shark

I did not think about a check valve at the A/C thru hull split off to make sure it does not pull backward from the A/C line and vise versa.
I guess technically I would need 2 check valves to ensure neither side tries to pull air from the other side.

Thanks.

The idea of a submersible pump is ok but I would like something more permanent to avoid having to make sure the pump does not fall into the river permanently.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:00 am 

TheDanceII wrote:
I did not think about a check valve at the A/C thru hull split off to make sure it does not pull backward from the A/C line and vise versa.
I guess technically I would need 2 check valves to ensure neither side tries to pull air from the other side.

Thanks.

The idea of a submersible pump is ok but I would like something more permanent to avoid having to make sure the pump does not fall into the river permanently.

I was thinking of dropping the pickup line overboard but the pump is mounted. Just a regular garden hose or something similar you pull out of the locker and drop over board maybe 8' long or so.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:55 pm 

Dropping a hose over the side would be one way to get a water supply. Just make sure the pump will draw the 6 feet or so vertically from the water surface up to the pump. Some pumps may be able to lift water about 8 feet, but that is about the limit. Whichever way you go, you will like it.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:57 am 
Shark

I got it all installed.
I ended up mounting the pump on top of the water heater (I have 2 house batteries installed forward of the hot water heater and the starter battery aft of the water heater). This ended up being the only place to put it.
Split off the water line going to the A/C water pump that way I did not have to install another thru-hull. I originally installed anti-siphon valves but that did not work. They are designed to open with water pressure and there is no water pressure on the back side. I removed and have not had any issues with the A/C or this pump wanting to pull from the other side.
Used pex 1/2" and push to connect fittings for the entire job.
Routed the pex behind the cooler box, trash can boxes, up and behind the microwave. There is a channel behind the top shelf on the Port side that the pex fit into perfect once I removed the shelf. There is also a hole already between the back of the shelf and the anchor locker for wiring to go thru that the 1/2" pex fit into perfect.
Purchased a 90 degree bracket and bolted to the back of the starboard cleat on the front and mounted the shut off valve w/ hose fitting to that. It lines up just under the anchor hatch on the bow with easy access to connect the hose for wash down.
I also split the output of the pump and ran a second pex line over to the transom shower. Installed a fitting w/ hose adapter under the handle inside the shower door.
Now I have wash down on the bow and on the swim platform.
Wired into the accessory switch at the dash.

Also installed 2 mister systems from Lowes with wire ties to the front port (wire tied along the bow rails). We can now set out on the front of the boat and keep cool and wet with the misters going.
One detail - there is not enough flow to prevent the pump pressure switch from shutting on and off with just the misters going so I turn on the back wash down hose to just barely create a bypass flow so the pump runs continuous.

The Seaflo 55 washdown kit includes the 55 pump that is designed for continuous use. The kit box says intermittent but the pump spec sheet states continuous duty.
Current draw running the misters is 7 amps but I have 2 group 31 batteries and have had no issues so far. We can always crank the generator to recharge if needed.

Was not too bad a job overall and we love it.