www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Battery Parallel Switch
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:19 pm 
Seahorse

I have a 2008 318V. Does anyone know how the “battery parallel” switch is supposed to work or how it’s wired in? I had my boat pulled out the other day. The workers must have bumped the cockpit lighting and transom lighting switches and they were left on for two days. Needless to say my house battery was dead when I got dropped back in the water. The engine batteries had full power, but I couldn’t get the blower to turn on. I tried using the battery parallel switch hoping it would pull all 3 batteries together to at least run the blower for 5 minutes...no luck. I ended up plugging into shore power for enough time to get the bilge aired out.
Any thoughts/suggestions?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:24 am 
email admin your custom rank

Normally the parallel switch combines the 2 engine batteries. It's not connected to the house battery. Usually the house battery is isolated except for charging.
I say normally because you never know what a previous owner has modified.

I has a similar issue once except my house battery was bad. I didn't really know at the dock because the charger was keeping everything 12 volts working. I had the blower on and once I turned the charger off it just about completely stopped. So I kept the charger on with the blower, then right before I was ready to start the engines, I turned the charger off. Once the engines started they charged the house battery and the blower came back to life. Not sure what you do if you are on the hook. I guess you keep the hatches open as long as possible and hope for the best. You can't start the genny.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:29 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Parallel switch is for starting the engine if engine battery is too weak to turn over the engine Press and hold the parallel switch while cranking the engine, release the switch once the engine starts. Switch combines batteries in parallel to overcome a weak or discharged battery.

Past:
1999 225 Sundowner
5.7 GSi SX